Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private George Murray Lawson 8th & 13th Royal Fusiliers

alistair_m

Hello All,

I'm looking for some further information on the following soldier, my Great Uncle - Private George Murray Lawson.  George was the brother of Captain Joseph I Lawson, RAMC and 2nd Lt Arthur C Lawson Gordon Highlanders (died Salonika 1916).

The information I have so far, from various sources is:

GS/51418

8th Royal Fusiliers  19/11/1916 to 7/12/1916
5th Platoon. 2 Coy. 13th Royal Fusiliers 8/12/1916 to 28/4/17. 

Wounded and returned to this country April 1917.

I would be most grateful for any further information you may have.

Alistair

GeorgeMurrayLawson.jpg

My Grandfather was also in the Royal Fusiliers in 24th Battalion. His number was 51148, so not very far from your Great Uncles Number.He was called up in July 1916 and went to France late October to early November 1916.

I would think your Great Uncle would have very similar dates.He probably would have been allocated to the 8th RF while still at Etaples IBD, then transferred to 13th RF still at Etaples before moving to his Battalions position on the front line.

From the date of his wounding he would have been involved in the fighting around Arras. Some good books are available to get an overview of the battle, Cheerful Sacrifice being one and also Paul Reed's Walking Arras.

• 3 weeks later...

Many Thanks for this dondavie

Ive just managed to get a hold of Guy Chapman's "A Passionate Prodigality" which is an exceptionally good read of his memoirs of the 13th RF

A

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

Im trying to revive this post in the hope that I can find some more info on my Great Uncle George.  Of all my immediate family, he is the only one that I have very little info on.  Partly, I guess this is down to the fact he was the only one of the 5 who wasn't commissioned, but also because his war time service was considerably shorter than the others.

I would very much like to complete the whole picture, hence the reason for reposting.

Many thanks in advance.

Alistair.