Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Naerich Schools Hospital, Cairo

Phil Wood

A casualty I am researching died in 1917 of wounds received in Palestine at Naerich Schools Hospital in Cairo and is buried in the Cairo War Memorial Cemetery.

Knowing nothing about hospitals in Cairo I wondered if anyone on the GWF had any details about this hospital?

Phil

Looks as if it should be Nasrieh School hospital - some information on an older thread here (click)

Looking back at my copy of the newspaper notice I can see that it probably read Nasrieh - for some reason I 'did' 1917 on microfilm, other years I have photos from original papers - much clearer!

Nasrieh.JPG

Arthur John Shipley enlisted into the Berkshire Yeomanry in October 1915 aged 16 - presumably lying about his age. His parents must have accepted this, it was no secret, he was mentioned in the local paper a couple of times (Oct/Nov 1915) as a recent recruit. I can sot of understand this in 1914 but find it odd behaviour from parents in late 1915 when the reality of recruitment was pretty apparent. 

• 1 month later...

I have a photo of my Grandfather Ben Twigg in Nasrieh Hospital FC taken in 1917. All the players and others are named. He was in the RAMC having landing in Gallipoli, Dec 1915. I would love to find out more about his military career. He was later in the RWF and demobbed 1917.

Nasrieh Hosp FC 1917.JPG

Sorry - demobbed 1919

Hi Kit

His medal card can be downloaded from here for £3.45 - National Archives.