Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Irchonwelz Communal Cemetery, Belgium

Mark

Thanks for the help and all the details and references. I agree to celebrate Lancashire Day this year. It will be a Friday. I’m looking for a voluntary high school, I already have my own idea! A simple text… but also cake and cup of tea!

Christian

Edited by christiandup

John

Thank you for mentioning the page  55th Motto., it’s very interesting. The word « Motto », a word I had never met and that I will introduce into the explanation so,I will be sure to memorize it. Your text will be slightly modified and elongated.

Christian

On 20/06/2020 at 17:40, Mark Hone said:

Thank you all once again for keeping the memory alive. We have very fond memories of our Battlefields Tour  visit to Irchonwelz in 2018. The detailed diary of another Bury Grammar School old boy who served as an officer in 2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers has recently come to light.  He was wounded during the Battle of the Somme in September 1916. When he recovered, he transferred to the sister 1/5th Battalion for the rest of the war, so he was not involved in the liberation of Irchonwelz and Ath. However, he may well have known some of the long-serving members of the battalion who were there, like William Kitchen. When I have access to the full diary I shall check for any mentions. 

Hello Mr. Hone,

have you more information about this diary ? I am very interesting by this ;)

Sincerely yours

Sébastien Morancé

Sebastian, 

The plan is for an edited version of the diary to be published in the near future. It sounds fascinating. However, as I have said, the author did not serve in 2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers after he was wounded on the Somme in September 1916 so was not actually involved in the liberation of Irchonwelz and Ath. 

They wanted to pay tribute to Cycling Soldier Sullivan, killed within 24 hours of the Armistice, possibly the last cycling soldier killed in that war. This group of cyclists came from the « Basse-Meuse », north of Liège. In this region, it is in the village of Thimister, that was killed the first Belgian soldier of the war 14-18: Antoine Fonk

Antoine Fonk 1.JPG

Antoine Fonk 2.jpg

• 3 months later...

Thanks to Mr Dean and Mr Conlon who sent me a copy of Pte 205299 Walter Harrison's photo in JPEG format. Mr Dean extracted the photo from the Manchester Evening News of 19 December 1918. This photo is now present in the chapel Notre-Dame au Chêne.

Page 29 of Lieutenant Floyd’s campaign diary: « ….Picanin as we used affectionately to call the brave little company runner. The death of Harisson is a great shock to us all. He was one of the best runners I have ever known…. What a shock it will be for his parents. They will first learn that the war is over and afterwards they will be informed that their boy is killed. He is being buried this afternoon in the village churchyard with the others. »

1  HarrisonAdjusted.jpg

2 Harrison.jpg

With my neighbor Jean, we firmly anchored in the ground the panel with the Lancashire Rose. Behind this panel, the explanation and the motto of Lancashire. Usually this (wooden) panel is removed on November 11,(no commemoration in 2020, we are confined). This year it will be November 27... Lancashire Day.

3 DSC01761.JPG

4 DSC01763.JPG

5 DSC01769.JPG

8 DSC01842.JPG

Thank you !
Remembering the 11th

And remembering my father's arrival in Ath on 11/11/18

And my visit in 2019.
738516645_IMG_3851-kopie.JPG.7254c0d4406a0769dfa6230c22bcd12b.JPG

No commemoration this year ! (covid). Yet, going to the cemetery this afternoon, I found flowery military graves. Walter Harisson got a little wreath of flowers. He was 20 years old!

DSC01845.JPG

Marvellous. I expect the mayor has just put the wreath in the middle of the row.

Not exactly, John. But maybe the center of the row was already busy. For several years, an anonymous man, woman, has been laying a pot of chrysanthemum.

DSC01847.JPG

Edited by christiandup
wrong picture