Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospital Sgt and Bearer Sections

ddycher

Folks

A liitle out of scope so apologies in advance.

I am trying (and failing) to work my way through the MO and medical staff of a TF Bn from the days of Surgeon's in the Volunteer Force to the MO's assigned from the RAMC when the TF Bn's went overseas at the beginning of the war. Not in any great detail but just to frame up the history of the medical section as it transitions through from the Rifle Volunteers of the Volunteer Force through Bn consolidations, the advent of the TF and the formation of the RAMC

I am particularly intrigued by the role of the Hospital Sergeant and the 6 man bearer section of the Vol. Bn's in the late 1800's and what the equivalent was in a TF Bn by the start of the war.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dave

Dave

I would say that the Hospital Sgt and Bearer section would equate to the RAP of the First World War. All regimental men, not RAMC.

Pete

Thanks Pete.

Makes sense. I believe they were bandsman and took this role on mobilization. The role of the Hospital Sgt in a Battalion I am still trying to understand better.

Regards

Dave

Thanks Maureen

Hospital Sergt at the Field Hospital now makes sense. What their day to day role in a Vol. / TF Bn was is still alluding me though. I know it was a Staff appointment. I assume he reported to the Bn Surg / MO rather than the Adjt like the Permanent Staff,

Still digging....

Regards

Dave

Edited by ddycher