Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dungarvan Memorial Wall

corisande

I was wandering round Dungarvan, Co Waterford, last week (as one does) and was surprised to find the WW1 Memorial Wall to all who fell from Co Waterford. I suspect Museum Tom has had some input to this?

dungarvan.jpg

I talked to some local people, as I was curious to know if the erection to the Memorial Wall had caused any "problems" locally, but was assured that it caused no controversy.

I am not sure how the money was raided, but it looks expensive in black marble or granite.

As an aside, I watched the video in the adjacent castle about the history of Dungarvan Castle, including Black and Tans being based there in 1920/1921. The custodian was not pleased on me telling him that the photos shown were of Auxiliaries not Black and Tans

And there is a write up on this site

http://www.johndeasytd.com/memorial.html

It seems to have been a local politician behind the organisation, but I could not find how it was funded

Yes just a little help, John Deasy organised it in conjunction with the museum in Dungarvan. I have no idea how it was funded. It was a huge launch and lots of pics and videos were taken. 

The castle/R.I.C. station is very interesting. If you look around the walls you can see how it changed over time. 

Edited by museumtom

They dedicated a cracker of a memorial today in Callan, County Kilkenny. We've come a long way y'know.

Callan.jpg

Edited by museumtom

Excellent both. Well done, Ireland.

3 hours ago, museumtom said:

They dedicated a cracker of a memorial today in Callan, County Kilkenny. We've come a long way y'know.

I am recording war memorials in Ireland, and I'm finding it difficult to keep up with the new ones! Where, exactly, is this one in Callan?

Michael

The link works for me Michael. Try facebook search for 'Callan Memorial'

The one in Cavan (Town) disappeared, the one in Virginia (County Cavan) is dinky, and wee, and quite well done.

25 minutes ago, KGB said:

The one in Cavan (Town) disappeared, the one in Virginia (County Cavan) is dinky, and wee, and quite well done.

I didn't see the one in Cavan Town. The ones which I have recorded in Virginia are in, or beside, the C. of I. church (see http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/Place-Detail?siteId=327). Where is the "dinky, and wee" one?

Michael

These 5 images are from Holycross St Michaels Old Protestant Church, County Tipperary. Please use them as you please. This church is no longer in use and empty. The public rarely ever access it as it is kept locked.

IMG0023A_zpspl5s7hhy.jpg.905552dd555d8425c37853072f7e6f04.jpg

On 8/29/2016 at 10:38, Michael Pegum said:

I didn't see the one in Cavan Town. The ones which I have recorded in Virginia are in, or beside, the C. of I. church (see http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/Place-Detail?siteId=327). Where is the "dinky, and wee" one?

Michael

No those are old ones! Go across the road, to one edge of the "triangle", head up to the Dublin bus stop a yard or so. On the wall is a small and very nice war memorial. Black marble with light lettering. Cavan one? Poorly done, half the names missing and some names duplicated!

On 29 August 2016 at 11:34, museumtom said:

These 5 images are from Holycross St Michaels Old Protestant Church, County Tipperary. Please use them as you please. This church is no longer in use and empty. The public rarely ever access it as it is kept locked.

Thanks, Tom. Two of them are war memorials.

Do you have a photo of the church itself, and can you let me know where it is (map reference, co-ordinates or directions)?

Michael

I will take a picture tommorrow and post it here Michael.

Cheers.

Tom.

Here you go Michael. Its known locally as the old Protestant Church. Located at the top of Holycross Village, facing the Ballycahill Road.

IMG_5708_zpszgcblcg4.jpg

You can credit it you your good self Michael, with my blessing.