Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Egyptian Army in the Palestine Campaign

Eran Tearosh

Hi everyone,

At the Ramleh War Memorial there is mentioning of the Egyptian Army. I know a bit about this army, including its actions in the Western Desert and I

know they were involved in the defense of the Suez Canal. However, I can't find a thing regarding their involvement in the Palestine Campaign itself,

and yet - Here's evidence (Attached) of such involvement. Notable that this memorial includes only Egyptian names, and no reference to British staff,

that were the officers/commanders of this army (If at all there were casualties among them - If there were, it would be interesting to see what is written

on their headstones).

I would love to know more about the Egyptian Army in the Palestine Campaign.

Thanks,

Eran 

123.jpg

In "A Brief record of the Advance of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force; July 1917 to October 1918", and specifically in the 'Palestine Lines of Communication' section the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Egyptian Infantry Battalions are listed.  I assume that these were Egyptian Army forces.

The Egyptian Labour Corps HQ & Advanced Depot was at Ludd (sic) [Lydda/Lod/al-Ludd] and the Base Depot at Kantara.  It had 120 Companies (numbered 1 to 120).  

Mate,

If you enter Egyptian Army on this site you will come up with comments we have gone threw before.

Egyptian soldiers were at all levels of the British/Commonweath forces in Egypt and Palestine as support troops.

Many are listed but most are not.

Cheers

S.B

• 2 years later...

I have gone through over 300 posts that pertain to "Egyptian" on the GWF. I have not come across anything that mentions what rifles and web equipment were in use. Would they still have been using Martini Henry rifles and Slade-Wallace pattern webbing?

Similarly, I did not come across anything definitive in relation to the uniforms. Would it be the case that khaki uniforms were being worn, whilst jerseys being worn being brown and blue for the Egyptian and Sudanese contingents respectively? I have found the Chris Flaherty website to be interesting, albeit for a different time period.

https://www.ottoman-uniforms.com/1883-till-1914-army-of-egypt-infantry/

I did come across several photos in the IWM collection.

Here are the buglers of the 1st Infantry Battalion of the Egyptian Army in parade dress.
IWM Catalogue number: Q 12787

1st_Egyptian_Infantry_Battalion.jpg

Here is a more informal photo of the men of the 1st Infantry Battalion, taken a fortnight before.
They are removing their boots and side arms before entering the Mosque el Aksa
IWM Catalogue number: Q 12653

1st_Egyptian_Infantry_Battalion2.jpg

Another pic of Egyptians in 1919, during the revolution.

Egyptians1919.jpg