Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What do you most wish for and what medals do you cherish the most?

Richard G

4 hours ago, Medaler said:

Of course, it could be argued that you could have got the same type of satisfaction from researching the names on a memorial - but now you are a member of this happy band of brothers who collect, you know its not the same at all!!  ... I sincerely hope you took advantage of your trip to the UK to make a few more "investments" ?

Agreed on the first point, not the least because (1), I was born miles from the 'ancestral' home, and then moved around from my birthplace so much up to the age of 17 when I left where 'home' was at that point, and (2), the one granddad who served did so in four regiments / corps before being discharged, so leaving me with no obvious 'home-town' or home regiment to devote my collecting activities towards! On the second point, yes, thanks to certain BMF members - all yet to be researched!

Best,

Julian

1 hour ago, Medaler said:

That's the spirit Tev! - Well done. I seriously doubt you paid too much for that star, considering what it is worth to you.

The easy way to put your mind at rest is to ask how much you would want for it - There you go! - What a bargain you had!

Warmest regards,

Mike

Mike & Kim,

I would have paid what was asked!

Trev

What I wish for most, my Grandfather, Archie H Cooper 9 42882 Pte 2/5 and then 12th Manchester Reg, my great Uncle William A Humphries , death plaque and other g uncle Pte William Henry James Humphries G9996 11th Bn Queens own Royal West Kents, BWM, VM and plaque.  Able seaman Alfred Bernard Tappenden 223171 H. M.S.'UNDAUNTED 14/15 star, BWM, VM and Plaque.

My most cherished are my grandfather 2 ww2 medals, defence and war, and my ggggg grandfather George Cole's  Military General Service Medal bar Vimera, served with 2nd Foot (West Surreys) from 1807-1830

• 2 weeks later...

The ones that I would really like to obtain , are those to my Great Uncle  killed in action on HMS Defence at Jutland. The ones that I most cherish are the 15 star trio to his brother who served with the 1/4th Somerset LI

Regards , Andy

Edited by Andy F

oh to have been alive in the 60's and more than a baby in the 70's, to by up so many discarded medals in junk shops for pennies.
I wonder how many were binned :o

I own only a few medal singles and pairs, nothing unusual, too expensive a hobby to get into.

Dear Derek,

I was indeed alive in the 60s and 70s - collecting, even - but quality medals that are considered expensive today, were expensive then, too. 

In the meantime I have amassed thirty plus Officer groups in about as many years.

I find it far easier to do so, in this Internet day and age, compared to those far-off days. This has a lot to do with my retirement (no Work hassle), the children are grown-up (no parental hassle, not to mention the expense), and the greatly-increased expertise one gathers nolens volens after years of collecting and researching.

I have always tried to collect groups which are different from one another. My collection is Officers Only, which fascilitates research and the chances of success in finding a photo (aka Image). As far as expense is concerned, this is relative. My perhaps most modest group, a 1914-15 Trio to a Sub-Lt, RNR (later Lt., RNVR), cost 155 Pounds. I found not only a picture of him in later life, but a photograph of the vessell in which he spent his war in the Irish Sea and Mediterranean: hardly expensive...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kim,

Thanks for the insight.

I'm aware many collectors have a theme, regiment, surname, battle. Officers only must be quite something to research.

Cheers,
Derek

Pairs to Lewis brothers William John, 18th London Rgt. and Herbert 1st RWF and his SWB. We live in hope.

To quote Herbert " sold them and bought fags. Only bloody lead they were anyway"

Dear Derek,

Collecting to Officers Only is perhaps slightly more expensive than to Other Ranks, but those gentlemen were considered as being rather special and are therefore oftentimes extremely well-documented.

I had to laugh at a comment in a book about collecting Great War medals; namely that collecting to Officers is for those with deep pockets. As I have indicated beforehand, this is not necessarily so.

Several of the recipients in my collection reached the rank of lieutenant-colonel - but most have one thing in common: this being CAPT. on their BWM and Victory medals. Interestingly, some came from, if not the aristocracy, then the Landed Gentry. Other were decidedly more middle-class, but one Officer had originally been a lowly Guard on the East India Railways. Finding out these stories - coupled with acquiring such medal groups with potential (at an affordable price) - is the reason I collect. 

Happily, I have been latterly aided by keen Great War Forum members, to whom I send my sincere thanks, despite having surprisingly been hit by a Hate Mail, once. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

On 09/09/2016 at 23:27, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

having surprisingly been hit by a Hate Mail, once. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

This forum is sadly not entirely free from idiots. Then again, for my own part, I like to believe that I am a fairly mild mannered and polite idiot. I hope you reported your experience to the MOD's - It would have been the correct thing to do. After all, it might be you today, someone else tomorrow, and so on ad infinitum.

I guess the Great War promotes "entrenched views" :-)

Warmest regards,

Mike