Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
alistair_m

2nd Liverpool. Aug - November 1914

alistair_m

Ive hunted high and low for the War Diaries for the 2nd Liverpool over the period August November 1914.  My great uncle, Lt TF Murdoch was attached for this period and wounded in October(ish) time.  Do these Diaries still exist?  And if so, could someone kindly point me in the right direction.

Many Thanks

Alistair

5 minutes ago, alistair_m said:

Ive hunted high and low for the War Diaries for the 2nd Liverpool over the period August November 1914.  My great uncle, Lt TF Murdoch was attached for this period and wounded in October(ish) time.  Do these Diaries still exist?  And if so, could someone kindly point me in the right direction.

Many Thanks

Alistair

The 2nd Bn The King's (Liverpool Regiment) spent the whole of the war in India. I suspect if he did serve in this battalion he would be one of the many transferred from the six regular battalions stuck in India to serve as reinforcements for the other paired battalions on the Western Front (in this particular case the 1st Bn). 

The alternative possible explanation is that he was a 2nd Bn man who was in the UK on leave when war was declared and was sent to the 1st Bn to make up the numbers for their mobilisation.

if you know where he was wounded it might help establish if he was indeed with the 1st Bn, or whether he became a casualty in India when the 2nd Bn. 

Incidentally the 1st Bn diary is one of the finest I have seen in terms of detail... and I have seen a few.  MG

alistair_m
4 minutes ago, QGE said:

The 2nd Bn The King's (Liverpool Regiment) spent the whole of the war in India. I suspect if he did serve in this battalion he would be one of the many transferred from the six regular battalions stuck in India to serve as reinforcements for the other paired battalions on the Western Front (in this particular case the 1st Bn). 

All I have to go by at present, is the attached cutting (found by someone in an earlier post on here).  I had read it that he was in France, attached to 2nd Liverpool, over the dates indicated - maybe Ive misunderstood?

newspaper entry.jpg

BillyH

The medal rolls (and medal index card) show that he was attached to the 2nd Gordon Highlanders and not the 2nd Kings Liverpool.

BillyH.

I think more likely to have gone to France cap badged the Black Watch and went to France with the Black Watch and later, having been wounded and recovered but medically downgraded was attached to the 2nd Bn The King's ((Liverpool Regt) in India. 

The History of the Black Watch is very detailed and lists every Officer. I am away from home for a week travelling. Unless anyone else can do a lookup in the meantime, I should be able to check next Tuesday. 

I also ahve ahve the Officers of the Black Watch who served in 1914 on a spreadsheet, so it will be easy to check. In the meantime it is worth checking his Medal Index Card (MIC) for his date of disembarkation and the 1914 Star medal roll on Ancestry or Find My Past

MG

alistair_m
20 hours ago, BillyH said:

The medal rolls (and medal index card) show that he was attached to the 2nd Gordon Highlanders and not the 2nd Kings Liverpool.

BillyH.

Billy,

Many thanks for this.  Youre spot on.  the 2nd Gordon Highlanders War Diary shows TF Murdoch as attached to A Coy from Black Watch.  Many thanks for identifying this for me.

Alistair