Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mesopotamia

Gordon Caldecott

I assume that we where fighting the Turks in Iraq, at during this campaign.

What were the Iraqi`s up to where they on our side then?

Several Iraqi's fought against the British. I think some were recruited into the Ottoman Army but if memory serves, such units were typically taken away from their home region. There were irregular cavalry and foot fighting in such actions as the Battle of Shaiba. Of note in this latter action, when the Ottoman Army was forced to fall back, the Arabs went over to killing the Turks.

The British supply lines in Mesopotamia were constantly harrassed by the local Arabs. There were worries about becoming wounded and being left behind.

Robert

Having just recieved ready for xmas two books covering General Maude and Lt-General Marshall who both commanded out there i may in the future be able to let you know of some bits once i have had a good gander at them. At the moment whilst Santa is around i can not look at them!!

regards

Arm.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest caldhbreac

Re Mesospotamia

There are quite a lot of books written about the campaign in Mesopotamia. The most official one is the recently reprined History of the Great War and covers the Campaign in Mesopotamia 1914-1918 By Brig Gen F.J. Moberley I think that it consists of at least 2 volumes and possibly three.

There are some more narrative ones - The Seige by Russell Braddon

Kut - The Death of an army by Ronald Millar and

A brief outline of the campaign in Mesopotamia 1914 - 1918 by Major R Evans.

These should give you a good overview but if you need more titles let me know

Regards

Michael McDonnell

Cheers Michael,

I`ll try and dig them out.

I recently bought/read that one about the Black Watch, was worth reading however, that at times it was a bit Boys Own, if you know what I mean. Curious as to why the writer didn`t identify the the fact that he served with the 2nd Btn, sometimes he gives names and accounts of deeds, etc, next minute its all hush hush.

But while I`m on the subject of books and Iraq, read a really interersting book, by a guy called Michael Asher, called `The Real Bravo Two Zero`, I know this has nothing to do with WW1, but I thought I`d tell you anyway, as it rips McNabs story to bits!!!! Another guy who for some reason chose not to use his real name, but used the real names of the guys who died!!!! mcNabs real first name by the way is Steven!!!

G. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Are my grandfather's letters of interest to anyone but his family?

He, Captain Kenneth Gossell MC, was in Mesopotamia, Jerusalem, the Dardanelles with the Middlesex Yeomanry. His letters are often long and descriptive - well-written accounts of life in the trenches, the devastation left behind by the Turkish army in retreat, the entry into Jerusalem etc.

I have copies of about half a dozen of these, dating from 1915 and 1916, though , no doubt there were many more.

The Diary of an Old Contemptible by Edward Roe (ed. Downham) includes extensive coverage of the author's time in 'Mess-Pot' with the 6th East Lancashires. Well worth reading.

S

There are lots of web pages that contain extracts of battalion diaries etc. A good search on Google will find some texts that are well worth a read.

I was interested to read, in a book on the Indian Army just a day or two ago, an British Indian Army Officer describing Basra as "a place sixty miles up the a****le of the world".

Many Brits were surprised at what they found in the garden of eden. Clearly it was not a popular location!

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the interesting topic of Mesopotania - did anyone mention The Neglected War by Barker. I am sure details from this core book are contained in other books, and 'vice versa '.

So far as I know this book is out of print. however, I am reading same gradually in the British Library Reading room. There are two copies there.

It is a helpful book and easy to read.

Another good book on the subject of Mesopotamia is "WITH HORSE AND MORSE IN MESOPOTAMIA - The Story of Anzacs in Asia", editor Keast BURKE.

The book is a history of the 1st Australian Pack Wireless Signal Troop, the N.Z. Wireless Signal Troop, the 1st Australian and New Zealand Wireless Signal Squadron, the 1st Cavalry Divisional Signal Squadron, the Light Motor Wireless Sections, the Australians of "Dunsterforce", the Australian Nurses in India and the Australian Representative at Bombay.

:ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Paul Cochrane

Hello!

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...asualty=1656007

The above link is for my grandfather, killed in Iraq.

CAMERON, THOMAS

Initials: T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Highland Light Infantry

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 08/03/1916

Service No: 8841

Additional information: Husband of Margaret Cameron, of 37, Gt. Hamilton St., Paisley.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 35 and 64.

Cemetery: BASRA MEMORIAL

Can anyone enlighten me as to the context?

In the 2nd attempt to relieve Kut el Amara, on 8/3/16 the Dujeila Redoubt was attacked by, among others, the 1HLI. This was a strongpoint anchoring the southern end of the Turkish Es Sinn defence line. The attack failed and the 1HLI had 264 casualties. Phil B

• 2 years later...