Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospital Trains exhibition

seaJane

Has anyone seen this exhibition at the National Railway Museum in York?

Is it worth a trip up from the South Coast to see?

sJ

Ruth and I went a couple of weeks ago. It's quite interesting but, I'd say, not worth travelling that far for unless you fancied a few days in York anyway. That's what we did as we made it a stop on our holiday and had three nights in York. Even travelling from Derby, it wouldn't have been worth a day trip, although it's not that long since we last went to the museum so we made a bee-line for the ambulance carriage and left almost straight away afterwards.

You walk up steps to platform level and can walk through the single carriage. It's separated from the main museum by temporary walls, with information boards on the inside of the walls. There are some technical drawings of other types of carriage, too. Unsurprisingly, the information provided is basic and intended for the general public rather than anyone with a significant interest in WW1. I did enjoy it and thought it did what it set out to do but didn't feel that I learned much.

Keith

Thanks for that Keith. Well, if I'm passing York I might persuade the other half to peel off and see it ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Jane

I went yesterday, having three hours to spend in York before my train to London - surprisingly I had never been to the museum, despite many visits to York.  The museum as a whole is certainly worth a day trip, if you're at all interested in railways, and it's free.  Though what Keith said is quite true, I thought the exhibition was well done, with  photos I hadn't seen before.  The bookshop is selling several books on nursing in WW1 and certainly anyone without very much prior knowledge would learn a great deal, but it's also interesting for anyone with prior knowledge to see how they've presented it.

Liz

Thank you for that, Liz. I have visited the museum once before but will consider looking in again next time we are in York.