The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Numbers of British P.1907 bayonets surviving

JMB1943

Thank you, Phil!

New one, #2622 is the 64th on the list.

Regards,

JMB

Another Siamese 1907 to add, this one just sold on eBay here and it is a little different, it is the first one that I have seen chromed; no scabbard.

Cheers.

S1.jpg.93937a0a6317b1bc876b9d8da73048d5.jpg

S2.jpg.d758828381d34ca2a2f7d40a5c246ef5.jpg

Looks like number 1 or 3070. I wonder if it has been an Aussie. parade bayonet as it appears they went to a bit of trouble to chrome it.

Cheers.

JMB, looks you will need a re-write of your article! Especially now this Australian element needs factoring in!

Julian 

• 3 weeks later...

Seen this one at the Toowoomba Qld. gun show on the weekend, the owner was kind enough to let me take a couple of photo's. It has the steel scabbard.

Cheers.

ST1.jpg.5ea8bbae8881b7e3c71590e2c27a61af.jpg

ST2.jpg.fa008aac72923c30e7503720535f00d1.jpg

ST3.jpg.703e7664217bf5b2d1a0cb4c3a187aa2.jpg

4 hours ago, t.ryan said:

Seen this one at the Toowoomba Qld. gun show on the weekend, the owner was kind enough to let me take a couple of photo's. It has the steel scabbard.

Cheers.

ST1.jpg

ST2.jpg

ST3.jpg

How much did they want for it?

I missed that , was there on Saturday, who had it and what was the price?

Hi Phil B

The seller was on the next table to Ian Skennerton and his book stand, the bayonet and scabbard were in good condition with the usual grip issues. He wanted $300 and had been looking at Skennertons books as to the markings.

I was in the first 10 in door on Saturday morning and left at 11 30. Took photo's about 9 40. Computer screen playing up, can hardl to see what i have written so hope it reads ok.

Cheers

Thanks mate, that was a good price. I was talking to Ian about 13.30 and must have walked right past it if it was still there. Probably better this way as it may have had triggered a black eye from my wife , lol

T.Ryan,

Thanks for that new one.

Do we read that serial number as 3250 or 3290 ???

Regards,

JMB

After a week away from home to visit our 21-month old granddaughter, for only the second time, we had a 3-hour layover at Nashville Airport.

While idly checking and deleting e-mails from my phone, a message from Ebay arrived.

A Smiling Tiger bayonet with a single serial number AND an original leather scabbard was due to end at auction in 3-hrs.

I had my wife use her phone to capture the display on my phone, and they are attached.

Bayonet: serial # 6; leather scabbard: #17unknown.

Unfortunately, the blade is not in the best of conditions, but it sold for just over $300 USD.

1691204257_6SiamBayo-1.jpg.048f1e358507aaaf5291fc42f2d60be3.jpg

1165208770_6SiamBayo-2.jpg.c4f53921896101e6263b20da398f3195.jpg

This is the only single-digit serial that I have seen, and only the 3rd or 4th leather scabbard.

Sorry, cannot seem to rotate the photos.

Regards,

JMB

Brilliant spot….never seen a scabbard before so many thanks for sharing.

And more importantly you had quality time with the family, great week all round…..but you’ll need the next week to recover!

Best wishes,

Dave.

I hope to share the above when it arrives!

Chris

Chris,

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............................

I'm glad that I didn't get in a bidding war with you.

Looking forward to your report!!!

Regards,

JMB

I think the Toowoomba one is 3290 but different numeral charts differ a little and sometimes hard to tell. 

The bayonet number 6 and leather scabbard; what a great find. I am sure we will all be pleased to see some photo's especially of the original numbered leather scabbard.

Cheers.

One of the better descriptions of the Siamese numbers that I have found, as good as any I would think.

Cheers

Sorry forgot to upload.

Siamnumb.jpg.b2fafde181e043dbb566f1a238e3ed27.jpg

Yes, that is the Siamese crib sheet that I have as a bookmark.

Regards,

JMB

Hi JMB,

No expert but to rotate your photo's, try;

"right click on photo on screen",

Then "save image as"

Then file name will come up in blue. You can change file name but leave the ".jpg" on end, eg. "Siam6.jpg" second photo "Siam61.jpg" and so on. This will save photo in your photo's. When you open photo in your photo's you should be able to rotate to how you want. You can then upload when needed, easy when you do it a couple of times, worth a try.

Cheers

si.jpg.0d6526f115e3cc5f0b8d42aa38a74628.jpg

Interesting, looks like a small E to the left of the X. I have not seen that mark on one before but it looks like E for Enfield. Thoughts were that they were all converted by BSA so may be something special there. 

My feeling is that the “E” is the only part of the original inspection stamp “crown / number / E” that was not erased by BSA.

Thanks for the help with the photo rotation issue.

Regards,

JMB

Even tho that it is a very clearly stamped E, i could agree with you.  I just checked my 1907 Mole 7/18 bayonet of about same vintage and it has near same shaped but fainter E below crown/number and in a very similar position from X. The bayonet numbered 6 and numbered leather scabbard are very special in themselves, lucky buyer.

Cheers.

On 24/05/2021 at 19:10, JMB1943 said:

After a week away from home to visit our 21-month old granddaughter, for only the second time, we had a 3-hour layover at Nashville Airport.

JMB,

Lucky you on time with the granddaughter - I still have to meet with my 12 month old twin grandchildren in the UK! And lucky also to spot the Siamese, and posting it, so leading us to the new and I assume very happy owner Chris! 

Julian

JMB,

I edited the Siamese scabbard a little and the third number looks to be a 3, making it 173. The tiger head looks good and with a bit of a hard rub with finger or thumb should bring it up nice. One great find.

Cheers

s6.jpg.0c5c2543b107d5d152b5354e74a9c926.jpg