Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Numbers of British P.1907 bayonets surviving

JMB1943

14 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

Marco,

Thanks for the photo, again that looks just like my scabbard.

You obviously have a diverse collection of GW militaria.

Could you give us the story of the Union Flag on the wall?

Enjoy your time at the military museum, they must have quite some treasures in the basement.

I am more than a little envious of you.

Regards,

JMB

Hello,

About the Union Jack on my wall sadly there's not much I can say about it. I bought it in a small town in Cornwall a few years ago, according to the seller it's a late war parade flag. It's unmarked (maybe homemade?) so there's no way to verify that of course but it looks very old so if I had to guess I'd say late-WWI or at least interwar. It's made out of linen and already had a few holes when I got it, that's why I framed it. 

As for the museum, I'm really curious to see what's in their basement!

Regards,

Marco

unnamed (8).jpg

Well, a key point of interest to me and other bayonet fans when / if you get into the basment will be Charles Dangre's reference material of Ersatz bayonets. One-time Director of the Musée Royale de l'Armée in Brussels, he published these in the Museum's journal `Carnet de la Fourragère' between from  1924 to 1931, left incomplete as he died in 1931. They are the seminal study of the type. 

His own bayonet collection was dispersed after his death but I am fortunate enough to have an example from this marked with his 'star' symbol.

Julian

Edited by trajan

G.day from Australia, I picked up a  Siamese P07 a couple months ago and know of 3 others that were on the market in recent months, Apparently there was a realese of rifles in Aus/Nz and another one in the USA in the 50s and 60s I just read yesterday and now cant find the artical. I would love to know the Numbers as I have a couple, im guessing the p07s were in simular drops. Pleaase keep updating your reseach as will I, cheers Phil

G.day from Australia, I picked up a  Siamese P07 a couple months ago and know of 3 others that were on the market in recent months, Apparently there was a realese of rifles in Aus/Nz and another one in the USA in the 50s and 60s I just read yesterday and now cant find the artical. I would love to know the Numbers as I have a couple, im guessing the p07s were in simular drops. Pleaase keep updating your reseach as will I, cheers Phil

G’day Phil,

Welcome to the forum.

I am currently writing an article on estimating the number of surviving Siamese P. 07’s, so would welcome any serial numbers that you can provide.

Did your example also come with the sheet steel replacement scabbard?

Regards,

JMB

On 14/03/2021 at 16:14, trajan said:

Well, a key point of interest to me and other bayonet fans when / if you get into the basment will be Charles Dangre's reference material of Ersatz bayonets. One-time Director of the Musée Royale de l'Armée in Brussels, he published these in the Museum's journal `Carnet de la Fourragère' between from  1924 to 1931, left incomplete as he died in 1931. They are the seminal study of the type. 

His own bayonet collection was dispersed after his death but I am fortunate enough to have an example from this marked with his 'star' symbol.

Julian

Hello and sorry for the late answer,

I'll try to research that; let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to look for and I'll try my best (I can't promise anything of course) to see if they have it down there.

Marco

4 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

G’day Phil,

Welcome to the forum.

I am currently writing an article on estimating the number of surviving Siamese P. 07’s, so would welcome any serial numbers that you can provide.

Regards,

JMB

Interesting project, I'll come back to this subject and send you the details on my Siamese Patt 07. I bought mine locally in the 1970s from a disposals store, they'd have had 10 - 20 at the time, none in great condition with the sheet metal scabbard. I'd bought a Siamese SMLE off the same dealer a few years before and they'd have had probably the same number of rifles as well.

I sold the rifle in the 1980s and regretted it ever since, though picked up another which needs replacement woodwork.

Back to you soon.

Robert

12 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

G’day Phil,

Welcome to the forum.

Regards,

JMB

So serial number 1832, do I read that correctly?

161059524_1772251079602782_1200851422354550565_n.jpg

Edited by 4thVBGH

From Ian skennerton collector magazine . He has forgotten more about this stuff than you or I will ever know , nice guy too , met him the other day for the first time 

image.jpg

4thVB & Phil,

Thanks both for posting the photos, and transcribing the numbers.

Two more for the database!

Regards,

JMB

Think you have mine but just so they are all in the same place:

tigers.jpg.4a72f8f671a702f2c010621bc32763d7.jpg

Phil,

I think that we have,

then 5501 has been over struck to become 5502, very visible if you expand the image.

and 4654, 330 as you say.

Thanks also for posting the table of numerals.

Regards,

JMB

Hey 4G’. You are making me green with envy this St Paddy’s day, showing four like that!

This one is owned by a Fella in Canberra . He posted it when he got his matching rifle back in January this year.   9792 I think maybe the smithy was drinking when he stamped them

C4373942-EE28-47C1-B120-7E01B6BD454D.jpeg

Phil,

That article is a real goldmine of information, especially the elusive No. 1 serial number.

BSA certainly went the extra mile with that first bayonet and rifle.

Thanks for these 4 new serials.

edit: I can’t quite make out the serial on the very dark blade in the photo; is it XX1 ?

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943

Hi members.

Here is another example of the surviving Siamese contract bayonets which I passed on to another happy collector just recently. It was in quite nice condition with very clear markings. I think the number was 4496. I have seen several of these around over the past few years so think that quite a few ended up here in Aussie. Hope it helps in collecting of the numbers and there wereabouts and that the new owner does not mind the photo's being shown.

Cheers.

Siame19071.jpg

Siame19073.jpg

Siame19072.jpg

Hi Phil B,

I have probably seen about 10 or so but that would include some sold or for sale on eBay in the last few years in either Qld. NSW. or Vic.

One just sold locally with a collection of bayonets when an old mate passed on, it had standard leather scabbard and not sure where collection went, I think sale was pre arranged.

I know of another locally with metal scabbard, not for sale.

Rumrunner a bayonet dealer at Redbank in Brisbane has one for sale on ebay at present, it has metal scabbard. He has sold a couple over the last few years, and one sold on ebay in Toowong Brisbane in January with standard leather scabbard.

I have also seen the occational one for sale at arms fair's.

Cheers.