Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Front line M.O. to Base Hospital doctor

Sunbird

Hi,

I'm researching an RAMC officer who served in France 1915-1918. During the Battle of the Somme he was M.O. to 6th Bedfords. Later in April 1917 with another 112th Bgde unit, 8th East Lancs. A month later in May 1917 he was posted to No.2 Base Hospital and remained there into 1918. I am interested in why he would have moved from the front line to a base hospital.

Were there 'policies' for doctors serving in front line with regard to their length of service in those dangerous areas? Were there tendencies for doctors reaching their limits of endurance to be relieved? Were increasing numbers of US Army medical officers relieving British MO's a factor or pattern later in the war? 

All help gratefully received,

Chris

• 1 year later...

I suggest there might have been an "unwritten" policy - and it might vary from division to division. My grandfather was a temporary officer in the RAMC and initially was an MO of Field Ambulance - he was then moved "back" as OIC of an ambulance train. He was invalided out having suffered "neurasthenia" attributed to overwork and exhaustion.

Harvey Cushing - he was the doctor to whom Cushing's Disease and Cushing's Syndrome are attributable. Ironically I suffered from Cushings 20+ years ago which resulted in the removal of my adrenal glands. I cannot do "fight or flight" response! Calm under stress :rolleyes:

This certainly was a problem when MO's were trained to give anaesthetics. Just as they got competent they found themselves posted as RMO's or to a Field Ambulance. Eventually this was stopped and they were retained in the anaesthetic post. Of course one of the more famous is John McRea.