Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Partial Casualty Lists

brianmorris547

EDIT This partial list is Salonica August to October 1916. 

1850 Dvr Young, A was discharged on 24/10/1916.

bm137.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

• 2 weeks later...

48630 Spr E Tilston is named in the Times OCL 10/08/1916 under RE wounded but this list is for March 1918. His service record shows that he was wounded on 15/07/1916 serving with 90 FC but was later admitted to hospital on 08/03/1918 when serving with 513 FC. The service record of 231198 Owen Hadder shows that he joined 497 FC on 12/12/1917 and was admitted to hospital on 16/03/1918.

bm141.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

This dates to July 1916.

6341 Spr T Hugh appears in the Times OCL 14/08/1916 under RE wounded. A FMP check on his service number brings up two casualty lists. Since I can not read the List Number I will post them here.

bm144.jpg

bm145.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

128921 Pnr G Hawkins is named in the Times OCL 18/08/1916 under RE wounded. He is also named on List HA 929 (Casualty Lists in Other, post 589) admitted to 14 Sty Hospital Boulogne ex Special Brigade on 12/07/1916. The service record for George Hawkins shows that he was wounded on 25/09/1915 with the Bedfordshire Regt (possibly 2 Bn 21 Infantry Brigade of 7 Div at Loos) and transferred to the RE on 15/03/1916. He was gassed on 08/07/1916 at Grenay and spent 5 months in hospital. 

Dates to January 1917.

bm148.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

It's no trouble at all Terry. Another one that may interest you. 12854 L/Cpl J E Luter is named in the Times OCL 21/08/1916 under RE wounded. In addition to this Progress Report a FMP number check also shows another document headed J Special Co dated 08/12/1917 that he was removed to England on 11/11/1917 ex 11 Sty Hos.

EDIT: This Progress Report refers to 23/10/1917. 276241 Pte Morris, J is on List HA 14876 adm 1 Aus GH Rouen 06/10/1917 gsw shoulder and 285271 Pte Lambie J is named on liust HB 8955 dated November 1917.

bm150.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

169597 Pnr L Fletcher is named in the Times OCL 25/08/1916 under RE wounded but this partial list relates to 1917. The Service Record of 194871 Ernest Cooper shows that he joined 61 Div Signals Co on 05/12/1916 from the Signals Depot. He was admitted to hospital on 12/01/1917 and 07/02/1917 and was discharged from the con depot on 19/03/1917. On 28/03/1917 he joined 57 Div Sigs Co.

bm155.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

On 04/01/2017 at 19:11, brianmorris547 said:

6341 Spr T Hugh appears in the Times OCL 14/08/1916 under RE wounded. A FMP check on his service number brings up two casualty lists. Since I can not read the List Number I will post them here. 

bm144.jpg

bm145.jpg

12547 Cpl McDiarmid was awarded the MM (LG 10/11/1918).  He joined 1 Ranging Section, RE in Feb 1915. Can someone tell me what I.O.T.L. means?

99665 L/Cpl Henning is named in the Times OCL 25/08/1916 under RE wounded. He also appears on List HA 1163 (Casualty Lists post 562) which shows that he was admitted to 12 GH Rouen on 21/07/1916 with a GSW R Thigh. It also shows his Unit as 221 FC but his Unit on this partial list is correct, 221 was an Army Troops Company.

bm156.jpg

SapperBoo

Inflammation Connective Tissue Left Foot.

Brian

Brian

Unless I have missed it, where are the original lists held? My interest is the RAMC but I can not believe that RAMC soldiers would have contracted VD! We are such clean living people!!

3 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

SapperBoo

Inflammation Connective Tissue Left Foot.

Brian

Thanks

Pete

These lists turn up at random as re used papers in various service and pension records. The names on them have been indexed by FMP. Where the full list turns up showing List number and date I post them in "Casualty Lists" in Forum Other Great War Chat. The lists in this thread are partial and some research is necessary in order to date them. I am searching for my RE grandfather by using the Times Digital Archive to identify the RE wounded from the Official Casualty Lists and searching FMP with the service numbers. There are some other lists that have not been indexed by FMP in the Silver War Badge Rolls, these have been posted in Casualty Lists. I am also searching other medal rolls for more unindexed ones.

Brian

My first post on these Forums so please excuse any naive or repeat questions!

Brian, what sterling work you are doing, your lists have made me so excited. I too am trying to track down the injury of my RE grandfather. I have read through all lists on this thread and Casualty Lists in 'Other' Forum and my heart has skipped a beat when I have seen the right surname but so far I have not found my Grandfather (unless I missed it somehow). I do have quite a bit of information but my missing link is what injury he had, exactly when (and therefore where he was when injured). I have his Unit War Diaries (2/1st Field Co, West Riding RE) which does name some OR injuries but I have not found him mentioned. We knew (because he told us) he was in Bristol Beaufort War Hospital and I have a PC photo of him there. I also have a very fragile Furlough Pass from the hospital where he was granted furlough from 24 June 1916 to 3 July 1916. So I have a time frame but I would like to fill in the blanks.

L/Corporal Ambrose Young 1633 (this number changed later as I know others did).

If you happen to spot him I would appreciate a heads-up!

And, as an aside, does anyone know how likely that injured soldiers returned to their original Unit? Is the percentage of probability that he would have returned to the same Field Company? I am trying to follow his movements across northern Europe (I was at the Yser Canal exactly 100 years ago to the days he was in that area). Sadly there is no sign of his service record.

Many thanks

Margaret

Margaret

No you have not missed his name on these lists. I also have a few other lists too faint to post and he is not on those either. I will do a check on both his numbers on Tuesday. My grandfather is named in the Times OCL 11/10/1916 under RE wounded and I have his Field Service Post Card home to say that he had been wounded dated 05/09/1916. The best possible I can come up with for the Unit he was serving with when wounded is 83, 84 or 96 FCs of 20 Div RE at Guillemont on 03/09/1916. From service and pension records of other RE wounded named in the Times OCL 11/10/1916 I know that two were sent to the Beaufort Hospital. I would like to see that photo you refer to, I am aware that there was a picture of my grandfather recuperating with some other patients in the grounds of a hospital "down south" in the family but I have never seen it. Could you possibly post it. 

From my reading of WDs it seems that sick or wounded men were returned to their parent Units but I have seen in service records that some were discharged to Base Details (No 4 GBD RE at Rouen). From there they were sent to whichever Unit needed reinforcements.  

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547
typo

Thanks for the reply Brian.

I can post the photo tomorrow. There are a few online on the Hospital website (I presume you have seen those) although they have more in their archives. Unfortunately their WW1 documents were destroyed some years ago but I hope to visit their little museum later this year in case I can find any more information.

All I know about my grandfather's injury is that it was 'shrapnel' but I do not know if he was injured more than once. He said that he woke up in a hospital bed with BLA on the sheets and could not work out where he was or what BLA stood for 'British ?? Army?' so asked a passing nurse who briskly and efficiently answered 'Bristol Lunatic Asylum'. He wondered whatever had happened to him for a minute until she explained it was now a war hospital!

Margaret

Margaret

I have seen some photos on the website, I will look again. The Beaufort WH has cropped up many times on the Forum, most recently in a thread called "Beaufort War Hospital Records at Bristol Record Office" by Chris Baker. A search in the Soldiers Forum will bring it up. I added to this thread but I did not know of a museum there. Apologies for being unable to link that thread to this I must admit I can not work out how to do it. Nice story about the BLA. 

Brian

I have taken a look at that thread, thanks Brian. I am not sure from there if records are available or not but on the museum website it states:

"Sadly there are no lists or hospital archives from The Beaufort War Hospital. Military hospital records were destroyed in the 1920s, viewed by the War Office as of little interest as they concerned the Home Front. "

Although on the same site under Archives their Digital Archive Index shows: Soldiers - Biographies & images of Beaufort soldiers. Soldier lists. Soldier lists complete.

Like most other family research I am doing, confusing! A telephone call might clear the confusion but I would still plan to visit to see for myself what they do have there.

http://www.glensidemuseum.org.uk/beaufort-war-hospital-home-page/the-archive/

The picture with my grandfather is attached (I hope I have used an appropriate size). He is the one in the centre of the wall slightly to the right, with a moustache. On the back he had written a note to my Grandmother and put a slit in the top of the card above him in case she could not find him! No date or postmark on it.

Young Ambrose BWH.jpg

This partial list would seem to date to September 1916. The service records of 118510 George Roderick of Cardiff and 116980 Mark Smith Armstrong of Accrington show that they were each sent to France within days of enlisting in 1915. Both were discharged in December 1916. GR served with 10 Labour Bn from 01/08/1916 to 03/10/1916 but spent most of the time in hospital and MSA had two stints in France, the latter from 08/07/1916 to 21/10/1916. He was admitted to hospital on 16/09/1916 (and 19/10/1916).

bm160.jpg

On 21/01/2017 at 11:59, petestarling said:

Brian

Unless I have missed it, where are the original lists held? My interest is the RAMC but I can not believe that RAMC soldiers would have contracted VD! We are such clean living people!!

Pete

There are three on post 24, that list was for Egypt. I think that there is a simple reason why there are not any on the lists that I have posted (apart from references to VDG and VDS on post 579 in Casualty lists which may not be relevant because there is a VDH on post 691). In 2012 I examined the Hospital Admissions Books in series MH 106 at Kew for the period 01/07/1916 to 20/09/1916 and noticed that some of the books for No 18 GH e.g MH 106/1097, 1102 and 1106 seem to be dedicated for admissions of this category. There was a column headed Where Contracted and most of the entries read Amiens but I did see Home and Wife. It seems that the RAMC went to great efforts to identify the source of the infection and the RAMC clerical staff would have been quick to disseminate this vital information to their RAMC comrades. This meant that when the RAMC men hit the town they would know where not to go. Hence the expression, "He's got the luck of a pox doctor's clerk".

105120 Spr Oakley J J is named in the times OCL 29/08/1916 under RE wounded. The WDs of 151 FC and CRE 38 Div contain accounts and maps of the actions in and around Mametz Wood from 06 to 11/07/1916 where 151 FC had 24 ORs wounded. Spr Oakley was later k in a on 19/04/1918 serving with 221 FC. The amendments to the two infantry men show that there were mistakes on these lists and therefore corroboration is ideal.

bm162.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This partial list dates to late 1916. The service record of 51887 Spr James Berry 95 FC shows that he was admitted to hospital on 17/11/1916.

89797 Spr Stanley James was k in a on 16/09/1917.

bm169.jpg

This partial list also dates to late 1916. The service record of 100692 William Wright Hamilton shows that he joined 136 Army Troops Co RE from the Base Depot on 05/05/1916, was admitted to 13 GH on 05/12/1916 and removed to England on 14/12/1916. The service record of 104079 Patrick Colligan of 227 FC shows that he was admitted to hospital on 30/11/1916.  

bm171.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
typo

A partial 1916 list from the Med.

bm172.jpg

66406 Spr E F Netley is named in the Times OCL 05/09/1916 under RE wounded. His service record confirms that he was wounded serving with 106 FC. 

bm175.jpg