Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Served in Ayrshire Yeomanry Robert Scott

Jim Blair

Hi there, trying to obtain details of a Robert Scott who served  during WW1 with the Ayrshire Yeomanry. He married a Isabella Fisher on 5th April 1916 in Kilmarnock when his 'usual residence' was Annsmuir Ladybank Fife.  From our church magazine he is listed as 'missing' since 19th September 1918. I can not find any other information.  Can anybody fill in the gaps ?

On 26 September 1915 the Ayrshire Yeomanry set off from their training base at Annsmuir near Cupar (which is also near Ladybank) in Fife, so it looks as if Annsmuir may not have been his family home address.

Moriaty

Edited by Moriaty

No Medal Card for a Robert Scott Ayrshire Yeomanry so looks like he didn't serve in a Theatre of War with them, probably transferred, nothing obvious on CWGC for a Robert or R Scott between 17th and 21st Sept 1918, there is a Robert and 2 x R Scott's but no NOK listed.

Have you looked for any kids being born post War or Isabella re-marrying? That'd be the obvious step, he was missing but may have survived.

Sam

The only candidate I can see is Robert Scott Private 8085 4th King's Own Scottish Borderers.

Transferred as Private 233408, 220th Employment Company, Labour Corps. Died 19 September 1918.

His medal card indicates that he did not serve overseas with the KOSB.

He may have been a Hawick man.

It would have helped to know where your church is/was and why you thought that Robert was a Ayrshire Yeomanry man.

I see from his marriage register that the Robert who married Isabella was serving with the 2/1st Ayrshire Yeomanry in April 1916, a second line unit.

Ken

Hi, thanks for prompt responses. A Robert Scott is named on our church ( Orchardhill Parish Giffnock - previously Giffnock U. F. ). The marriage is mentioned in our church magazine and he also appears as

1)'Trooper Robert Scott' serving with the Ayrshire Imperial Yeomanry in January 1915 and

2) Pte Robert Scott missing in October 1918 and

3) Signaller Robert Scott missing in January 1919. 

From the entries in our church magazine it would seem that his parents lived at Ardaros, St. Ann's Drive in Giffnock. 

I have managed to get a copy of details of his marriage from Scotlands People. 

Don't know if this helps. 

Jim - I'm still trying to track a military record but this might help others to find him.

Robert was born on 18 July 1890 at Holmhead Terrace, Cathcart, Renfrewshire.

Father Thomas (Commercial Clerk) Mother Elizabeth (ms Lang)

The family were still there in 1891 and 1901.

Robert aged 25 was a warehouseman and Private 2/1st Ayrshire Yeomanry when he married Isabella Fisher 25 on 5 April 1916 at Isabella's home at  5 South Hamilton Place, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire.

He is named on the Giffnock War Memorial which was unveiled on Saturday 5th November 1921 and, as you know, on the Orchardhill Church memorial  http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic5485.html&highlight=orchardhill

Ken

1/1 Ayrshire Yeomanry had become 12 Royal Scots Fusiliers by September 1918.

2/1 Ayrshire Yeomanry became a 9 Cyclist Brigade Regiment in November 1916 and were in Ireland in September 1918.

Roger M

Hi there, thanks for information supplied.

After looking on Scotland's People web site, I found him and his family on the 1911 Census living at 11 ST. Ann's Drive Giffnock where his occupation is given as 'Warehouse Assistant '  in a Lace Curtain Factory. I then hit the JACKPOT !!!. I did a search in the Military -Soldier's Wills and Testament section and found the following information held at Paisley Sheriff Court. : -  Robert Scott - RESIDED AT 11 ST. ANN'S DRIVE, GIFFNOCK, PTE (24182), R.S.F., AFTERWARDS PTE (29343), 11TH BATTALION SCOTTISH RIFLES, D. 19/09/1918 ON MILITARY SERVICE, TESTATE.  This meant that I could  look on the CWGC web-site and I found details of his death . RESULT..!!!  I don't know if I can find any more information , but this certainly answers a few questions.

Once again , thanks for all the help and advice provided

Regards

Jim

Hi Jim,

This thread, particularly post #13 may be of interest to you.

The Soldier's Effects record for Robert appears to read as has him being killed "19.9.18 Blk Sea Ex G Death ased" - my guess of which means that he was assumed to have died on the 19th September 1918 in the Black Sea (area) previously (in) Greece. The record shows that following his death a War Gratuity payment of £22/10s was paid to his father (Thomas) as executor nominate. Using (forum pal) Craig's calculator, given the size of the award, intimates an estimated enlistment date of circa November 1914.

His medal roll record indicates that Robert only served in active theatre with the 11th Cameronians, and he doesn't appear to have qualified for a Star medal. Consequently, it would seem that his prior service with the Ayrshire Yeomanry, and the Royal Scots Fusiliers would have been on an "at home" basis, and that he didn't go abroad until after 31st December 1915. By looking for surviving service papers for men who were given numbers near to his in the respective units, you may be able to make an inference as to when he was transferred to the Royal Scots Fusiliers, and then later to the Cameronians.

Good luck with your research.

Regards

Chris

Interesting one this, 29343 Pte Robert Scott Scottish Rifles doesn't seem to be listed on the Scottish National War Memorial https://www.snwm.org/content/roll-search/ which is unusual as they normally take their info from CWGC, once you've collated all the info on his Death, it maybe worth contacting them to address his omission, as a Scottish Soldier, he

deserves to be commemorated.

I see he's listed on an "Addenda Panel" on the Doiran Memorial, it could be he was a later addition hence being missed by SNWM.

Sam