Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'gerald brigstock' MC and M.I.D.

Richard G

Dear all, 

Just a quick request whether someone could help me find out about the above named WW1 army officer...what his MC was for/date of MID/theatre of war etc.

Much appreciated, R. 

Hi Graeme,

That's the problem I'm having.  I have a ww1 photo portrait of a staff officer, clear medal ribbons on show commensurate with an MC and 'Gerald brigstock' written on the back in pencil by a reputable source.  The only thing I've noticed is that she's (the source) possibly dyslexic as she's written the word 'bible' elsewhere as holy bilble...  would 'Gerald bridgestock' work do you think? 

It's a staff officer's uniform (a colonel, I think, from the cap badge - I can't make out the shoulder insignia). The medal ribbons are the Military Cross, British War Medal and Victory Medal, the latter with the oakleaf denoting an MiD. No Star, so he did not see overseas service before 1916.

As a staff officer, it's quite possible that the MC was for general good service rather than a specific act of gallantry. As such, it will be in either a New Year's or King's Birthday Honours List and there will be no published citation.

Ron

Edit: There is a 1922 list of all officers decorated with the MC (and other awards) during WW1 and there are no Brigstocks. It occurs to me that "he served in WW1" and "he won the MC" does not necessarily mean that "he won the MC in WW1". He may have been awarded the MC after 1920, and even in WW2. It might be worth searching the London Gazette for later years.