Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Haslar Hospital

Cam_s

Does anyone know if there are any patient records that survive from WW1 for the Royal Haslar Hospital at Gosport?

Thanks,

Cam

I'm afraid the hospital muster lists (ADM 102) aren't in TNA for that period.

If the patient died there and was buried in Haslar RN cemetery there will be something in ADM 305/109, volume.7 of the burial register.

8 hours ago, seaJane said:

I'm afraid the hospital muster lists (ADM 102) aren't in TNA for that period.

If the patient died there and was buried in Haslar RN cemetery there will be something in ADM 305/109, volume.7 of the burial register.

Thanks for the help seaJane.

I am looking for any records that might be in reference to a relative of mine who was treated there for an injured knee in the summer of 1916. I guess it was kind of a long shot. Is it a case of the muster lists don't exist anymore or they are not in TNA for privacy reasons?

Thanks,

Cam

Both, probably - medical records always closed for 100 years, and I think many hospitals that treated Great War casualties had a major clear-out of records in about 1925 and then again when preparing for the development of the NHS. 

Was your relative Army or Navy? If Navy, and if his injury occurred while afloat, preliminary sick bay attendance would have been noted in the Medical Officer's Journal (MOJ), but finding this would depend on knowing the name of the relative, the ship and the (approximate) date of the injury - and whether the MOJ survives ... 

sJ

4 hours ago, seaJane said:

Both, probably - medical records always closed for 100 years, and I think many hospitals that treated Great War casualties had a major clear-out of records in about 1925 and then again when preparing for the development of the NHS. 

Was your relative Army or Navy? If Navy, and if his injury occurred while afloat, preliminary sick bay attendance would have been noted in the Medical Officer's Journal (MOJ), but finding this would depend on knowing the name of the relative, the ship and the (approximate) date of the injury - and whether the MOJ survives ... 

sJ

Thanks sJ!

So he was actually injured while attending training at Portsmouth. He was a member of the RNAS and was assigned to the Navigation School. His service record gives just the basics of him being there from 30-3-16 until 10-4-16 for Traumatic Synovitis. I have no idea how this happened as he was taking a classroom course and not flying. Maybe it was when he was playing some kind of a sport and I was hoping to find out more information regarding it. It's bee just over 100 years but I would have to find out if the files even exist anymore. 

Is there any likelihood they were passed onto the NHS? Or kept in some other records archive?

Thanks,

Cam

2 hours ago, Cam_s said:

Is there any likelihood they were passed onto the NHS? Or kept in some other records archive?

Thanks,

Cam

Almost certainly not, I'm afraid - it was not a notifiable disease, nor a particularly rare injury. Traumatic isn't as, er, traumatic as it sounds - just means it happened as a result of some injury or other. Synovitis (inflammation of the synovial membranes) most commonly affects the knee joint, so he may, for example, have fallen downstairs and bashed his knee, or given it a pounding on a cross-country race.

PS: or, as you say, sports injury.

sJ

2 hours ago, seaJane said:

Almost certainly not, I'm afraid - it was not a notifiable disease, nor a particularly rare injury. Traumatic isn't as, er, traumatic as it sounds - just means it happened as a result of some injury or other. Synovitis (inflammation of the synovial membranes) most commonly affects the knee joint, so he may, for example, have fallen downstairs and bashed his knee, or given it a pounding on a cross-country race.

PS: or, as you say, sports injury.

sJ

That's what I was afraid of. Oh well. 

Just to give you some indication, Staff Surgeon Percy Minett performed knee-joint operations on 18 men at RNH Chatham between April 1915 and April 1916. Most of these were cartilage injuries leading to synovitis at a later date, one case having sustained an injury playing football four years previously. (I was hoping for someone to have written up knee injuries at Haslar, but no such luck. Minett's article, Exploration of the knee-joint for loose cartilages, etc. appears in the Journal of the RN Medical Service vol. 2 (1916), pp. 345-347).