Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Roaminoz

NZ - Archway - Casualty Form - help

jacksdad

Thanks for that TEW

The surname is Shephard with an h, if that makes any difference?

And sorry the MGC unit was the "29th M G Battn" (from his WW2 NZEF mil file)

He had a small bullet size scar on his back left shoulder and a large exit wound on his front. so I imagine that he would have been on the list as this seems a serious wound for a WW1 situation and sufficient to be hospitalised.

I have to admit I have tried several times to find out where Granddad served, but have been defeated in my poor knowledge of the MGC, which seem a difficult crowd to research, but your post about casualty lists lit up another route I could try.

I have not tried the WD of the 29/MGC but next time I am in England I will do this at the archives. I tried a number of years ago, but had no luck, firstly I was naïve in my attempt at Kew, and  secondly whilst I spent two days at Kew  I did not at that time know the Unit he was in (later found this in his WW2 records) and so I ordered a number of MGC WD but it was, to be fair a valiant, but totally misguided attempt, as I had no idea how big the MGC were.  I tried to find his military file but it was one of the many burnt lost files.

I took another tact a few years ago, working laterally, I researched the CWGC for all the deaths in the MGC from men within a similar (118239) number as granddad who had died, I don't know if my theory was correct but I thought that there was a reasonable probability that they signed up at a similar time and the locations of their death/burial would give me an idea of the probable deployment area, as the long long trail website suggested that they could be in both Palestine and W-Front.

His WW2 Mil File he states he served 2 years in WW1 with the 29 MG Battn and that ties in with his age (born  Oct 1898) and enlistment in Oct 1916, maybe deployment 1917, from what I have read that is in line with the 29th M G Battn.

Is it possible to check for a D A Shephard in the casualty lists that you have access too and maybe possible other spelling variations?

Thanks again Roger

jacksdad
On 06/08/2016 at 00:37, TEW said:

Roger,

There is the official WO casualty list which would include MGC. I've had a look and not seen a Donald or D or D. A. Shepard from the MGC in the list.

There are 2 reasons this might be;

His injury was not serious enough to end up on the list.

The injury was either between May-Aug 1917 or post April 1918.

Up to about May 1917 the lists were issued to the press and initially appeared in The Times. For some reason they stopped producing lists for ORs around May 1917. The WO then started an official publication which could be bought publicly from Aug 1917.

thegenealogist website has transcribed the WO lists, taking them either from The Times or from the official publication from Aug 1917. I'm not sure if it's a work in progress but they have only transcribed up to about May 1918. The rest of 1918 is available in book form in the British Library ( I think). Probably not an option for you!

Have you tried the diary for 28/MGC or doing a name/number search on Findmypast?

TEW

Hi Tew

Can i be a pain and just get you to double check on the spelling for my granddad?

D A Shephard

Cheers Mate

Roger

TEW

Yes, will do and check some other sources.

TEW