Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC Officer research

Richard G

Dear all,

after some very helpful information a few days ago, I wonder if anyone might be willing to help me research Captain (previously Lieut.) Thomas Lovett MB (Doctor of medicine from Glasgow University 1911).  Again, his medals have just been auctioned, this time to someone else, but I was wondering about the man and how his medals may have ended up in a tin and house clearance lot along with some cutlery and bric a brac. 

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/1818-auctioneers/catalogue-id-sr1810101/lot-a4980e3d-ee76-4018-818a-a64400da22b3

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29091/page/2258/data.pdf

Thomas Lovett to be Lieut 28th Jan 1915 (above)

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29208/supplement/6251/data.pdf

The promotion to Lieut. is cancelled.  (just a handful of mths later)

promotion to Lieut rescinded 1915?  (According to LG)..  3rd Midland FA Brigade.  Could anyone explain to me why his promotion might have been cancelled as a time when medics were more in demand than ever, especially doctors? 

Hi Richard

A quick search finds a Doctor Thomas Lovett born 1879 Quebec, Irish parents, on the 1921 Canadian Census. Suggest Glasgow University records should be able to give more info.

Regards Barry

No I don't think it's that man -would make him too old.  Can't find a medal index card anywhere or date of death.  Very confusing. 

This may be his MIC http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D3724309 failing that, officers had to apply if he didn't apply there won't be a medal record for him.

As to his death, if he died in Scotland that makes things a little more difficult.

He has an article published in BMJ

TEW

17 hours ago, Richard G said:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29091/page/2258/data.pdf

Thomas Lovett to be Lieut 28th Jan 1915 (above)

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29208/supplement/6251/data.pdf

The promotion to Lieut. is cancelled.  (just a handful of mths later)

promotion to Lieut rescinded 1915?  (According to LG)..  3rd Midland FA Brigade.  Could anyone explain to me why his promotion might have been cancelled as a time when medics were more in demand than ever, especially doctors? 

When the announcement of an officer's appointment or promotion contained an error, it was usual to publish an entry in the LG cancelling the previous notice, and thereafter there would be a further publication containing the corrected details. Have you looked for a third entry?

Incidentally, the unit concerned was the 3rd North Midland Field Ambulance. "FA Brigade" would normally refer to a Field Artillery Brigade.

Ron

ah, that's v helpful. Thank you. So an innocent error likely then. Just had email response from Glasgow university archive dept stating simply all requests will be answered in twenty days.  next to the mic for answers.. That's the right card I think TEW, thank you

Hi All

Medal Index Card Thomas Lovett RAMC, Lt/Capt. Medals issued  Brit/Vic as Capt   Off 141 Page 481C 15 Star as Lt, Off 141,248 Theatre 1 on 25.7.15  Remarks "1VX/7113 df16/2/22 EF 6/8070."

Regards Barry

Medal award rolls confirm above.

Hi All

Could he have been the "Biking Doctor of the Dales", Austwick, near Settle?http://www.cravenherald.co.uk/nostalgia/nostalgia_history/9635268.The_biking_doctor_of_the_Dales/

Regards Barry

Madeline Miller Dowdy married Thomas Lovett in Belfast 3rd qtr 1904.

1901 Scotland Census Thomas Lovett is a medical student, born 1878 Ireland staying with his Aunty and family @ 55 Kilbowie Gardens, Clydebank. Thomas Lovett died 1958, Ewecross, West Riding, Yorkshire.

good grief you guys are good. I swear there's a fascinating book to be written which just charts the random array of medals which come up with the Bric a brac in country auction houses over say a year? If it's this man, theatre 1 being France I presume, what an interesting life he led.

Hi Richard

I think he spent some time in the Shetland Isles before coming South, was married 7th July 1904 in Belfast. Two children Margaret and William born Ollaberry. Northmavine, Shetland Isles, 1910 and 1912....still looking

Regards Barry

just emailed harden coach house in the dales..its a b and b today..and v nice it appears too. That's where he lived in the inter war years. Hoping they have some more leads. Shetland isles..brrr...no wonder he left!

The reason for the cancellation notification in post #2 (London Gazette issue 29208 page 6251)  for his appointment as Lt. in the R.A.M.C. (T.F.) is because he was granted a Regular Commission as Lt., R.A.M.C.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29098/page/2502

Promoted temp. Capt. 18.2.1916

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29501/supplement/2543

Relinquished his commission on 11.2.1919 on account of ill-health contracted on active service

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31171/supplement/2056

Just had a reply from Harden House.  He didn't live in the coach house, but the main house....  it sold 2 years ago for 1.4 million pounds.  But wasn't sold by his daughter, but the family who bought it off his daughter...  looks like a jaw dropping place.  Sadly, the coach house lady has no photos...  but she's on the case. 

• 2 years later...

Hello, I don't know if you are still interested but Dr Thomas Lovett was my Great Grandfather. Everyone called him Uddy. I have no idea why. I never met him but we are currently putting together a family tree for my son's school project so I've been digging into the past. He was Born in Belfast in 1878 and moved to Glasgow to study Medicine. He won The Hunter Prize for surgery which the family still has. Incidentally his brother stayed in Belfast and became a navel architect for Harlend and Wolff.

After he graduated he went to Shetland(before the First W.W.)and there is a section about him in the Lerwick museum,I think he made his mark! He was an brilliant swimmer apparently and won the cross bay swim every year. He fought in the WW1 as stated on the GLA website. The newspaper article about the biking Dr of the dales isn't totally accurate. He had one last daughter, my Grandmother in 1916, her name was Jean but changed it to Betty! She was born in July 1916 during the battle of the Somme as she often reminded us. When he came back,he worked as a GP in Austwick in a one man practice,apparently once a month he invited a colleague  from the neighbouring practice,and the district nurse,and operated on patients knees and other surgical procedures,those were the days! 

If you would like to know anything else let me know. I would love to get his medals back in the family if it was possible. We thought they were lost!

• 5 months later...

Very interesting to read the tale about the medals, Dr Lovett was my great grandfather, his grandson John Lovett is very much alive and celebrates his 90th Birthday this week and lives in Clapham next to Austwick.

• 1 year later...

Am very interested in reading this thread, and picking up the information you have all gleaned and to see post from Great Grandson Simon!

Recently came across Dr Thomas Lovett as part of research on the Shetland connected army lists for World War One, and would be keen to find out any further detail.

The extract below may be of interest.

The Shetland News, December 26th, 1914
Shetland Doctor for Active Service
Dr Lovett, Ollaberry, has been called up for active service, and has resigned his position as district medical officer under the County Council.
The Council have placed on record their appreciation of his valued services to Ollaberry and neighbourhood.

Edited by JonSandison

3rd (North Midland) Field Ambulance served with 46th (North Midland) division. Originally raised in the West Midlands - see LLT

Captain Lovett's MIC states his arrival in France as July 1915, so he was most likely at the Hohenzollern Redoubt in October 1915 and at Gommecourt on 1st July 1916 - the 46th Division's two most costly days. His services would have been in great demand.

• 9 months later...
On 09/11/2018 at 11:14, Guest said:

Hello, I don't know if you are still interested but Dr Thomas Lovett was my Great Grandfather. Everyone called him Uddy. I have no idea why. I never met him but we are currently putting together a family tree for my son's school project so I've been digging into the past. He was Born in Belfast in 1878 and moved to Glasgow to study Medicine. He won The Hunter Prize for surgery which the family still has. Incidentally his brother stayed in Belfast and became a navel architect for Harlend and Wolff.

After he graduated he went to Shetland(before the First W.W.)and there is a section about him in the Lerwick museum,I think he made his mark! He was an brilliant swimmer apparently and won the cross bay swim every year. He fought in the WW1 as stated on the GLA website. The newspaper article about the biking Dr of the dales isn't totally accurate. He had one last daughter, my Grandmother in 1916, her name was Jean but changed it to Betty! She was born in July 1916 during the battle of the Somme as she often reminded us. When he came back,he worked as a GP in Austwick in a one man practice,apparently once a month he invited a colleague  from the neighbouring practice,and the district nurse,and operated on patients knees and other surgical procedures,those were the days! 

If you would like to know anything else let me know. I would love to get his medals back in the family if it was possible. We thought they were lost!

Hello there

Hopefully you will get to see this post as I currently have the medals....I originally acquired only a pair of medals and then I managed to find the Star! Someone has applied new ribbons but they are the original medals. I also learnt That Captain Thomas Lovett also served in Gallpoli and was on a Hospital Hip due to having an Ulcer.

Please feel free to contact me.

Regards

Chris

Nov  24-49.jpg

Nov  24-50.jpg

Nov  24-51.jpg

Nov  24-52.jpg

14 hours ago, Chris Chettle said:

Hopefully you will get to see this post

Hi Chris, the ID Guest means that Caroline has left the GWF, for some reason or other. However I have tagged another relative who comments above, @Simon Lovett, so let's hope he will be in touch.

• 2 years later...

Hi, I know the years have moved on but I am a Great Granddaughter of Dr Thomas Lovett. I am currently working on a project about the Lovett family and the links to medicine and nursing. 

I would love to know where the medals went. I am presuming after his second wife moved to a nursing home these would not have had the family links.

I do have a letter sent by Dr Lovett while at the Somme, written in pencil, they had sent him a young lad who had shell shock to work with him as a stretcher barer, the medics were on the front line, no place for some one who was ill. He didn't mince his words.