Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No 17 CCS Remy Siding from August 1915

Bardess

Dianne

Thank you for all the hard work, I know how difficult at times to decipher war dairies, I certainly admire your commitment and patience. 

I recently visited the visitors centre Lijssenthoek Visitors Centre adjacent to the Military Cemetery which tells the story of Remy Sidings. A fascinating insight into the medical world.

http://northumbriangunner.blogspot.com/2020/03/ypres-2020-lijssenthoek-remy-sidings.html

I am not sure of you have contacted the people at the centre, they may be interested in you work.

http://www.lijssenthoek.be/en

Ian

Thanks for the links, Ian and I haven't contacted Lijssenthoek. If they were interested I'm sure it would come up on a Google search ^_^ [I'm not averse to them having a copy]

• 4 months later...

Hello, I have joined this forum in order to post a photo at the 17 CCS which includes my grandfather, Pte 11005 Alexander Dearness, who was a member of the RAMC stationed at the 17th CCS.  He is pictured with a number of other soldiers underneath a sign saying "No. 17 Casualty Clearing Station".  My grandfather is in top row standing on the right and I am assuming this photo was taken at the end of the war based solely on the smiles on the majority of faces.  He enlisted in 1914 at age 16 years but he looks several years older I think in this photograph. I know absolutely nothing of his time in Belgium at the 17th, his duties, conditions, or anything else about his experience other than he came home from the war no longer a christian because of his experiences (according to my mother - his daughter).  I will attempt to upload the photo successfully.  I hope it helps someone recognise a photo of their relative because there are no names on the back of the photo. 

Alexander Dearness WW1 17 CCS.jpg

• 6 months later...

Many thanks for transcribing the diary. My grandmother’s cousin Pte Griffith Jones 2 Bn Durham Light Infantry died on the 7 Nov 1915 and was buried the next day.

F9B629FF-8714-4702-B98B-E4F075D89AEC.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Thank you very much for this! I stumbled across this post after reviewing my research for A A O'Connor and this has given me a great lead to further chase down.