Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corporal Thomas Henry WEDGE DSM (RMLI)

Neil Clark

Greetings to all,

It's been a while since I last posted on this excellent forum.

I wonder if anyone can kindly help me? Things have moved on a bit since I constructed my kentfallen website in terms of technology and capability...

I have been asked by a very close family member if I can help find background on this man - 14717 Corporal Thomas Henry WEDGE DSM. He served in the Royal Marines Light Infantry (RMLI) on HMS Exmouth during the Great War. I think he was in the PLYMOUTH Division.

Born 15 February 1888.

Enlisted DEAL 18 October 1908 in Birmingham.

Married 1 October 1910.

Served on board HMS EXMOUTH (Duncan class Battleship) from 1913 until September 1917. Probably as part of the ships detached marine company. I note he was a trained Gunnery Instructor which I take it means he worked with the ships large guns? Either this or he was in fact a small arms instructor???

I think he may have been with a party of marines who were landed in Salamis Greece on 1 December 1916? A number of that party were killed in action.

Thomas WEDGE was clearly a very brave man as he was subsequently awarded a DISTINGUISHED SERVICE MEDAL (DSM) together with TWO French awards - The Medalle Militaire (French Military Medal) and the Croix de Guerre. The French obviously held this brave man in high esteem.

London Gazette

Distinguished Service Medal

23 March 1917 (page 2952)

Admiralty - 23 March 1917 (29997)

Croix de Guerre avec Palme

No trace of his Medalle Millitaire anywhere I can find.....

I want to establish if all three awards were for ONE act of bravery or, otherwise? Obviously I'd also like to find citations for all three awards.

One last thing, The DCM in the army is ONE level below the VC for other ranks, am I right in thinking that the DSM was also a level 2 gallantry award? There is conflicting information online - Some state it was a level 2 award others say it was a level 3 award for ratings and marines? I'm no expert on Naval medals so perhaps someone can kindly assist get to the facts here....

I have his service record albeit a very small copy on A4 paper (need a magnifying glass to read it).

He died aged 57 in 1944 at Gillingham (Kent) and it looks like he was still serving in the Royal Marines Reserve! Can that be correct?

After discharge from the regulars he joined the Royal Marines Reserve (Police). Thomas became a Police Constable in the Admiralty Constabulary guarding Chatham Dockyard. I have been shown a photo of him standing on guard in civilian police uniform outside Chatham Dockyard's main entrance. I presume it's possible he served in the RMR while employed as a policeman. Of course the Admiralty Constabulary went onto become the modern MoD Police (a force I myself served in for 8 years).

He's buried in WOODLANDS CEMETERY GILLINGHAM alongside his wife. His grave marker has no mention of his three gallantry awards (something which I'm going to put right).

Any help or advise would be greatly valued.

Thanks

Neil

Wow that was a quick reply...... Many thanks horatio2. I'm impressed.

The Athens thing makes sense..... That suggests the DSM and Croix de Guerre avec Palme WERE probably awarded for same action. Wonder where the MM comes into the equation?

There were 6 x DSMs awarded to the RMLI on this occasion. Those six men plus a further three were awarded the C.de G. Four of those nine were also awarded the Med. Mil. All for the same operations in Greece.

20 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

The DSM C. de G. and Med. Mil. were awarded for the December 1916 actions around Athens [source Blumberg].

Ah the Noemvriana - one of the more glorious episodes of British militarism - declare war in August 1914 on the pretext of the violation of Belgian neutrality and then promptly violate the neutrality of another country when it is deemed expedient.

Not much changes eh...... It's still happening even now...

With regard to the RMLI Attestation Packs, I presume this is initiated by post and not carried out online - I have used your helpful link above and there is no online link coming up on the page (I presume my computer browser isn't broken)?

D.S.M. London Gazette 23 March 1917.

From the commencement of the Salonika operations the attitude of the Greek Government towards the Allies had been very ambiguous, and when that nation’s pro-Allied prime minister fell from power in the course of 1916, the possibility of the King and Queen not contesting a threatened German invasion dramatically increased. In response, in August of the same year, a Franco-British naval force assembled off Salamis Bay, while the diplomats sought to avert possible confrontation, a cause that had a promising start when the Greeks agreed to hand over certain naval ships, but which ultimately failed when they refused to co-operate with a similar request for assorted arms and ordnance. 

‘In consequence, 3000 seamen and marines of the Allies were landed at Piraeus at 3 a.m. on 1 December. The British contingent, under the command of Major C. D’O. Harmer, R.M.L.I., consisted of two seamen companies, under Lieutenants Priestly and Palliser, R.N., and a company of R.M.L.I., under Captain J. M. Palmer R.M.L..I (HMS EXMOUTH) and Lieutenant M. H. Spicer, R.M.L.I (HMS Duncan) a landing force approximately 300 officers and men with two machine guns. The contingent included a small company of Italian seamen.’ The French provided the bulk of troops (over 2,000 armed Seaman).

The object of the operations was to occupy certain key installations and military establishments in Athens, in addition to advantageous positions in the surrounding hills. The approach march to Athens was made by three parallel roads, the British contingent forming the right flank company and proceeding along the old coast road, through old Phalerum, and thence direct to Zappeion, one kilometre east of the Acropolis. Here they occupied a cartridge factory and a magazine, without opposition, but later, in the afternoon, violence erupted among the gathered populace and an engagement was fought with far superior numbers of Greek troops who had arrived at the scene. Corporal Wedge, a member of Captain J. M. Palmer’s detachment, was one of those left to stand guard outside the magazine. 

‘Meanwhile at the magazine, Captain Palmer and the remnants of the two companies remained under the wall, sheltered by a slight depression from the Greek fire. After about 20 minutes, a party of Greeks, who had been inside the building, dashed out of the gate and down the slope. Captain Palmer and a few men headed by Corporal Wedge pursued them for a short distance, and then taking advantage of the cessation of fire managed to reach the gate and to get inside the magazine. A hole was eventually dug under the wall, through which the rest of the men crawled; it was here that Corporal Wedge by his gallant conduct gained the D.S.M. and the coveted Medaille Militare and Croix de Garre with Palme. After two men had been shot while attempting to climb the wall, Corporal Wedge and Private Cook volunteered to try, and succeeded in getting over, and was mainly instrumental in digging the hole, which doubtless saved the lives of a number of men. A heavy fire was kept up on the two gateways by the Greeks, but they made no attempt to assault the position. At 4 p.m., firing ceased, and some Greek officers approached under a flag of truce, and offered to make arrangements for the Allies to return to Piraeus with their arms, which offer was refused by Captain Palmer; a truce, however, was agreed to and the Greeks collected the wounded and sent them to hospital ... At the magazine there was no further firing, and at 4 a.m. the next morning, a French officer arrived and informed Captain Palmer that he was to march back to Piraeus.

Allied casualties amounted to 60 officers and men killed and 167 wounded, including 10 killed and 12 wounded in the Royal Marine Company. And in recognition of their gallantry, the Marines won a D.S.O., a D.S.C. and six D.S.Ms, the latter recipients including Corporal Wedge and Private Cook. 

Sounds like a hot little engagement..... The French and Brits were forced to retreat back to their ships as 3,000 troops were facing 30,000 unhappy locals all holding rifles....

Same thing likely to happen to anyone silly enough to ever invade the USA..... Every local has a rifle. Lol

Job done. The family will be very happy. Not possible without Horatio2's valued help and advice. Thanks ship mate. 

Captain J M Palmer RMLI would appear to be the same Captain Palmer who was later taken prisoner on the Mole at Zeebrugge.

Thomas Wedge was awarded the DSM and French C.de.G soon afterwards in early 1917.

The French MM wasn't awarded until 1918 which leads me to believe this was awarded for a separate additional act of bravery connected to Anglo French joint force action? 

I need to research the French MM but have no idea where to start. Apart from London Gazzette entry I have nothing.

Wedge continued to serve on HMS EXMOUTH until late 1917 then transfered to HMS Teutonic a Troopship which ferried troops and logistics to Russia and then US troops from New York to Liverpool. 

Nothing in either ships logs to suggest a Anglo French action...

Confused? I am.... Lol

2 hours ago, SiegeGunner said:

Captain J M Palmer RMLI would appear to be the same Captain Palmer who was later taken prisoner on the Mole at Zeebrugge.

Exmouth and Russell bombarded Zeebrugge, which was used by German submarines on passage from their base at Bruges, on 23 November 1914, firing over 400 rounds in what was described as a highly successful action in contemporary Dutch reports but actually achieved very little and discouraged the Royal Navy from continuing such bombardments.

The 6th Battle Squadron returned to Dover in December 1914, then transferred to Sheerness on 30 December 1914 to relieve the 5th Battle Squadron there in guarding against a German invasion of the United Kingdom. Between January and May 1915, the 6th Battle Squadron was dispersed. Exmouth left the squadron when she transferred to the Dardanelles on 12 May 1915 for service in the Dardanelles Campaign as Flagship, Rear Admiral, supporting squadron, flying the flag of Rear Admiral Nicholson.

It seems likely from the above that Captain J.M Palmer may have landed on The Mole from HMS Exmouth. Which poses the question...... DID THOMAS HENRY WEDGE TOO? I'm getting excited..... Thomas WAS on board the ship during this period isn't it? Bearing in mind he was a Marine not a sailor.

By 1 December 1916 (Athens action) Captain Palmer had returned to HMS Exmouth in charge of the ships marine detachment. How did he escape being taken prisoner to return to Exmouth?

There is no connection between the late-1914 action off Zeebrugge (which involved no landings) and the April 1918 landings there. In the 1918 action (when he became a POW) Palmer (4th RM Battalion) did not land from HMS EXMOUTH. She took no part in the 1918 action as she was by then paid off and in reserve at Devonport.

Pretty impressive stuff Horatio2. I bow to your superb knowledge of all things naval.....

I can't thank you enough for all this kind help.

Neil

• 1 year later...
On 30/07/2016 at 11:47, Neil Clark said:

‘Meanwhile at the magazine, Captain Palmer and the remnants of the two companies remained under the wall, sheltered by a slight depression from the Greek fire. After about 20 minutes, a party of Greeks, who had been inside the building, dashed out of the gate and down the slope. Captain Palmer and a few men headed by Corporal Wedge pursued them for a short distance, and then taking advantage of the cessation of fire managed to reach the gate and to get inside the magazine. A hole was eventually dug under the wall, through which the rest of the men crawled; it was here that Corporal Wedge by his gallant conduct gained the D.S.M. and the coveted Medaille Militare and Croix de Garre with Palme. After two men had been shot while attempting to climb the wall, Corporal Wedge and Private Cook volunteered to try, and succeeded in getting over, and was mainly instrumental in digging the hole, which doubtless saved the lives of a number of men. A heavy fire was kept up on the two gateways by the Greeks, but they made no attempt to assault the position. At 4 p.m., firing ceased, and some Greek officers approached under a flag of truce, and offered to make arrangements for the Allies to return to Piraeus with their arms, which offer was refused by Captain Palmer; a truce, however, was agreed to and the Greeks collected the wounded and sent them to hospital ... At the magazine there was no further firing, and at 4 a.m. the next morning, a French officer arrived and informed Captain Palmer that he was to march back to Piraeus.'

Hi Neil,

Admittedly I'm coming to the party a little bit late, but I'd be interested to know the source of your information. It reads like an edited extract from page 224 of Blumberg, although Blumberg attributes the acts cited to Short and Cook, and not to Wedge. This ties in with the original recommendations for their awards of the DSM from the National Archives. Wedge did receive the DSM for his actions on this date, but it was for services rendered during the withdrawal and not during the action fought at the magazine.

I've transcribed all of the recommendations for all the marines awarded the DSM on this occasion (and for Palmer's DSC) and Token have been kind enough to publish them (see https://www.tokenpublishing.com/shop/product/7991). Together they make for interesting reading; in comparison to some actions fought on the Western Front it does appear that the marines (and seamen) landed at Athens were well rewarded in terms of honours and awards. Political considerations were clearly at play, and the large number of awards was justified because the actions of the Greeks were considered to be 'treacherous' rather than straightforward combat.

Rgds,

Alex.