Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major George Edward Armitage Beazeley from WARE, Hertfordshire

garfyboy

Good morning all, I am researching a Walter John Acres- 202092 -RFA/RHA 95th brigade, kia 22/3/18

He was from Ware in Herts, I believe he is named on the Ware town memorial and also the st Marys church memorial in Ware

would anybody happen to have photos which would include a good view of Walters name please (its a long way to drive from Leicester)

many thanks

Andy

Thanks Kevin

I did come across that site and I thought the same

cheers

Andy

Andy

I live near Ware and I will get some photos for you if you wish?

Just specify exactly what you wish me to snap.

Maxi

Dear Maxi and GWFs,

Apropos Ware: I am researching an Officer called Major George Edward Armitage Beazeley (1898-1970).

He and his family lived at "Lightfoots", Roydon, Nr. Ware, Herts.

His elder brother Michael Armitage Beazeley (1892-1985), lived at The Old Vicarage, Thundridge, Nr. Ware, Herts. Both were descended from Count Vorontsov (Russian Minister to England, 1784-1806).

Furthermore, an uncle of G. E. A. Beazeley, was Lt-Col George Adam Beazeley, DSO, RE - a pioneer of aerial photographic reconnaissance.

Born at Reading, Berks., on 13 Apr 1898, G. E. A. Beazeley (son of Oxford graduate Michael Wornum Beazeley, 1866-1946), joined 1-28 London Regt (Artists' Rifles) on 4 Mar 1915 as a Private - still only sixteen years old!

Following service in France, Beazeley was commissioned into the Hampshires (6 Nov 1916), but was invalided from France in January 1917.

Still only nineteen, he transferred to the Indian Army (3/8 Gurkhas, and Quartermaster, 1918). Sick leave, June 1919. 

3/11 Gurkhas and active service Wazir Force (Lhada) and Company Cdr., 1921-22. Retired Indian Army (malaria), 31 Aug 1923.

Further adventures followed, but are outside the scope of this Forum. Any comment or contribution would be received with open computer.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi maxi

many thanks for your kind offer, it would be nice for a shot of the memorial and then one of the panel with Walters name on it, clearly enough to read his name please

much appreciated

andy

Andy

I have taken your required photos so if you want to send a PM to me with your email address, I can send them to you as I am bu@@ered as to how I paste them here (too big a file) and I can't put them in your PM box (probably for the same reason).

Further to Kim's enquiry, I popped into the Ware museum, which is located directly across the road from the memorial, and left my details for their John Wing (a local Great War expert) to contact me with any information he may have as to both Beazley and Acres. I will of course report back to you on anything he can provide.

Both of you may be aware of a book called 'Our Boys' by Derek Armes which, among other Great War matters in Ware, details information on the men who appear on the memorial.  However on briefly glancing through the library's copy, I saw very little on Acres other than his rank namely a Driver.

Nice day for it, I must say.

Maxi

Hi Maxi

Many thanks for your efforts, I will pm you shortly with my email

Andy

Dear Maxi,

I was both surprised and pleased that you should have gone to such trouble on my behalf. Many thanks!

G. E. A. Beazeley may well have made his impression in the Ware area, but it remains to be seen what comes to light. As JMAT (John Tamplin, MBE, TD, the late doyen of medal researchers) used to say: If you don't ask, you don't get!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

On 8/1/2016 at 09:30, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Maxi,

I was both surprised and pleased that you should have gone to such trouble on my behalf. Many thanks!

G. E. A. Beazeley may well have made his impression in the Ware area, but it remains to be seen what comes to light. As JMAT (John Tamplin, MBE, TD, the late doyen of medal researchers) used to say: If you don't ask, you don't get!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kim

Indeed if you don't ask, you don't get, however as I thanked the steward and told her I looked forward to hearing from Mr Wing,

We shall see.

I see that you are located in Hemmingen - I was on holiday in Weida and Berlin in June which I think is almost near to you, but my geography is not be relied on I'm told.

Maxi

Edited by maxi
John Wing has proved to be very helpful

Dear Maxi,

Maybe the steward is poorly paid, or otherwise lacks motivation. Having said that, perhaps Mr John Wing will surprise us all, yet?

Yes, I am an Australian, but live in 71282 Hemmingen, which is near Stuttgart, in the south-west of Germany.

My late grandfather can be seen at left, on his return to Australia, after recovering from his wound.

Capt W. F. Lindsay (1880-1940) won the MC as Coy Cdr 53 Bn AIF in a successful attack on Peronne, 1 Sep 1918. After his wounding, his 2iC Lieut Waite, MC, took over the Coy and subsequently won a Bar to his MC. 

It was a VC action (Pte Currey, 53 Bn AIF), and half the battalion became casualties - three of the four Officers KiA are in the nearby cemetery. There is a Digger statue at the top of the hill...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Maxi,

Super, thanks for that. Will do!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Weekend of Medals Kim November 2011_small.jpg

• 5 months later...
On 29.07.2016 at 9:31 PM, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Maxi and GWFs,

Apropos Ware: I am researching an Officer called Major George Edward Armitage Beazeley (1898-1970).

He and his family lived at "Lightfoots", Roydon, Nr. Ware, Herts.

His elder brother Michael Armitage Beazeley (1892-1985), lived at The Old Vicarage, Thundridge, Nr. Ware, Herts. Both were descended from Count Vorontsov (Russian Minister to England, 1784-1806).

Furthermore, an uncle of G. E. A. Beazeley, was Lt-Col George Adam Beazeley, DSO, RE - a pioneer of aerial photographic reconnaissance.

Born at Reading, Berks., on 13 Apr 1898, G. E. A. Beazeley (son of Oxford graduate Michael Wornum Beazeley, 1866-1946), joined 1-28 London Regt (Artists' Rifles) on 4 Mar 1915 as a Private - still only sixteen years old!

Following service in France, Beazeley was commissioned into the Hampshires (6 Nov 1916), but was invalided from France in January 1917.

Still only nineteen, he transferred to the Indian Army (3/8 Gurkhas, and Quartermaster, 1918). Sick leave, June 1919. 

3/11 Gurkhas and active service Wazir Force (Lhada) and Company Cdr., 1921-22. Retired Indian Army (malaria), 31 Aug 1923.

Further adventures followed, but are outside the scope of this Forum. Any comment or contribution would be received with open computer.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hello, i am also looking for this familly.

(Just - a am a member of Vorontsov sosiety - andi try to find now living desendants of Geogre Beazeley, and i know name who had communications with sister of officer major George Edward Beazeley - Hellen Battey. b.02.11.1907

please write me an email point-of-turn@mail,ru

Also this officer had a brother Alexander b.14.05.1904 and sister Mary 08.06.1902-d.1970

Здравствуйте, уважаемые Макси и Ким и остальной форум. Я не очень хорошо пишу на английском языке, поэтому я использую переводчика. Среди моих предков из русских дворян был достаточно участников Первой Мировой Войны, война с Наполеоном, и так далее. Но форму я записалась, потому что вы обсуждаете семейные Bezeley. Они потомки графа Воронцова (я тоже потомок, и членов сообщества, а также генеалогии и историк), я 3.5 лет ищут возможности наладить живой контакт с живущими потомками семьи в Англии. Пока я в руки попали фотографии вид деревьев из Елена Бэтти, который скопировал другой участник общества в 1997 году.

У меня есть трудности для того, чтобы загрузить фотографии вот этих записей. Я очень хочу найти кого-то из детей, кто интересуется историей рода (возможно, в следующем году они смогут участвовать через скайп в научной конференции по истории Воронцова) было бы здорово для нас и для них (я не говорю о том, что эти люди - мои дальние родственники)

У меня есть аккаунт на facebook https://www.facebook.com/ivan.kalinin.75470

Электронная почта - point-of-turn@mail.ru

Мобильный +79030922955

Я также делаю Древо семьи Voronstov на сайте geni.com

Вы хоть представляете, где desendants сейчас? Для меня его просто superdificult найти кого-нибудь в Англии, потому что я не там живу и иногда не понимаю местной специфики поиска.

Hello, dear Maxi and Kim and the rest of the forum. I do not write very well in English, so I use a translator. Among my ancestors from the Russian nobility was enough participants in the First World War, the war with Napoleon, and so on. But the form I signed up because you discuss family Bezeley. They are the descendants of Count Vorontsov (I, too, am a descendant, and members of the community, as well as genealogy and historian), I have 3.5 years of looking for opportunities to establish a living contact with the living descendants of the family in England. Until I came into possession of photographs of the tree kind from Helen Battey, who copied the other party to the society in 1997. 

I have difficulty in order to upload photos here of these records. I really want to find someone from the children, who are interested in the history of the genus (maybe next year they will be able to participate through Skype in the Scientific Conference on the history of Vorontsov) It would be great for us and for them (I'm not talking about that these people - my distant relatives)

I have an account on facebook https://www.facebook.com/ivan.kalinin.75470

email - point-of-turn@mail.ru

Mobile +79030922955

I am also making a Tree of Voronstov family on site geni.com 

Have you any idea where the desendants are now? For me its just superdificult to find somebody in England becous i dont live there and sometimes dont understand local specifics of finding.

Dear Ivan,

Nice to hear from you. Super!

The Russian aristocratic connection to an Indian Army officer is unusual, to say the least.

I will beam you what I have about G. E. A. Beazeley, okay?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I'm insanely grateful to you! I am grateful to you - I did not expect to be able to see photos of at least one of the members of this genus. Waiting for what could be, facebook somebody will of youth.
Thus there are two kinds of branch of Beazleys:

1) Alexander Beazeley 06.08.1830-01.12.1905 (wife - Roberta Nicholson Beazeley (Wornum) 03.06.1826-06.08.1863) marriage 06.08.1863 London

survived children: Oxford graduate Michael Wornum Beazeley 07.02.1866-1946Eng and Margaret Knowels Beazeley 28.08.1867-? (she if lost.. dont know)

grandchildes: Michael Armitage Beazeley 29.05.1892-feb1985 Hertford & Ware, Hertfordshire, Engl. lived at The Old Vicarage, Thundridge, Nr. Ware, Herts. (dont know about his  children NOTHING), Katherine Armitage Beazeley (08.03.1893Eng-?) she married Ronald Clipford Perburry (May be i write PERBURRY - but its written an other manner) their daughter is Joan Margaret Perburry b1926, , Officer major George Edward Armitage Beazeley b. Reading, Berkshire, Engl19.04.1898-19.02.1970  his wife is Jean Kyall [may be i write KYALL incorretly -  becouse i have written paper in english of some old woman] their son is  Simeon Armitage Beazeley (as You say - lived at "Lightfoots", Roydon, Nr. Ware, Herts.) name Simeon - is exactly from count Semen Vorontsov., next Mary Armitage Beazeley 08.06.1902-d.1970Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire, Engl (married whith some one - next i dont know), next is Alexander Armitage Beazeley b.14.05.1904 - his wife - Winstaf Beville (but may be is a Man - so i did a misteke looking this old paper from old english woman), thir children is Sebastian Armitage Beazeley, Philippa Armitage Beazeley and Jane Armitage Beazeley (do not know nothing about them and where i need to look for) last sister is Helen Battey (probably born Armitage Beazeley) b.02.11.1907-d. after 1997, SHE had this old paper, her husband her hasband is Harry Battey 1893-1945 their daughter is Sarah Elizabeth Battey 16.12.1942 born. Norwich, Norfolk, Engl,

2) The secon branch is Michael Beazeey 24.06.1833-26.01.1918, his wife was Janet Beazeley(Martin) born aprox 1836- d?

Their survived children

1. Margaret Elizabeth  Beazeley 1865-17.01.1953 Ashford, Kent (may be did not had a family)

2. Michael William Beazeley b.1862Kent-d-? (dont know)

3. Adelaide Catherine Perry (Beazeley) 18.04.1864-? maried in Bengal 27.12.1902 in Bengal with Edmond Ludlow Perry 28.06.1872-04.11.1957 Honiton, Devon, Eng

their children: NN and Catherine Mary Startin (Perry) 10.12.1903-may 1994 maried 19.01.1927 in  Bengal with Charles Basil  Startin 26.11.1894-dec. 1980 S-East Hampshire, Eng., thay had some childe (there stoped may possibilitys to find)

4. Lt-Col George Adam Beazeley 07.07.1870-d.?  he married 25.10.1900 in Mussoone, Bengal, India with Annette Cortlandt Beazeley (Anderson) 1879-1950

their children 

1) Rozel Clinton Swan (Beazeley) maried with William Dermot Swan b.apr.1908.Christchurch, Hampshire, England-d.04.11.1938, they had 1 child, with whom they all dead in air desaster in Jersay. 

2) Philippa Patricia Charlton (Beazeley) apr..1910Jersey-d,07.04.2014 Beccles, Suffolk, England married with Max Anderson Charlton b.oct.1911Kent-d. 2008Beccles, their children are NN and Rozel (Royee) Felicity Dobson (Charlton) than Abbot. Her 1-st hasban is Christofer F. Dobson (married in jun-sept 1968 Blyth, Suffolk, Engl, 2nd her husband was N Abbott. (i dont know about children nothing - tryed to find).

3) Janet Martin Cooper (Beazeley) married with Hugh Cooper (b. 1897-d-?) [more i dont know]

2 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Ivan,

Nice to hear from you. Super!

The Russian aristocratic connection to an Indian Army officer is unusual, to say the least.

I will beam you what I have about G. E. A. Beazeley, okay?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

May be You can read this more correctly. Is it Kyall? - Pabbury?

Jean Kyall.jpg

joan Margaret.jpg

Ronald.jpg

Sebastian Philippa Jane.jpg

Simeon and Susan.jpg

Dear Ivan,

Major George Edward Armitage Beazeley was married to:-

W. J. (Jean) Beazeley nee Lyall (not Kyall!). 

their children were:

Simon Lyall Beazeley, born 25-8-1932 at Hertford and Baptised at Roydon, and Susan Jean Beazeley, born 9-7-1937 (Hertford; bap., Roydon).

The other name you asked about looks like Ronald Clifford Parbury, to me...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Beazeley 1942 ID Card 19 Hyderabad Regt.jpg

• spof changed the title to Major George Edward Armitage Beazeley from WARE, Hertfordshire