Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings (Liverpool) Regiment

CROONAERT

The vast majority of information on individual soldiers held at the King's Museum was supplied to them by Promenade, so they are very unlikely to have anything there that you don't already know.

Did James Howarth live in Liverpool before and after the war? If he did it might be worth checking the local papers for mentions of him. It's a long shot, but it might give you more. The papers often give a good deal of information such as where he lived, his parents'/wife's name, occupation, when he went overseas etc and even detail of letters he sent home.

If you could establish when he was with any particular battalion, the War Diary of that unit would give details of what they were doing and where they were at the time, although it probably wouldn't mention him by name.

The museum has closed down but the staff are still there and there is a possibility that you could look at the War Diaries there yourself. I'm not sure exactly what facilities might be available but it's worth giving them a ring to enquire.

The Regimental History, by Wyrall, covers all the battalions of the regiment but might not help you unless you can tie down when he was serving with each one. It is available on inter-library loan locally.

Ken

Thanks Ken !

I'm in America and haven't been able to get to the Museum .... wish I could have .... I would have been there for days !!!

I tried to find the War Diaries on line but was unable to do so ..... !

I'm lucky to have as much as I have and I'll be content with that !!

Granddad was killed in the May Blitz and is on CWGC as a civilian

Thanks again Ken - I do appreciate your help !

Annie :)

• 2 months later...
I've just taken delivery of the regimental history for The King's Regiment (Liverpool) between 1914 and 1919.

Any look-ups required, just ask.

Dave.

My great uncle enlisted in the Kings Liverpool 1/8th (Irish Regiment) and was killed on 12/08/1916. However, he is listed as being attached to the 1/9th. His name was James Joseph Powers.

I was wondering what information you have on the activites of each of these regiments on this day, and which regiment he was actually with.

Thanks,

Will

I've just taken delivery of the regimental history for The King's Regiment (Liverpool) between 1914 and 1919.

Dave.

hi dave

any info on the battle of arras and the date monday 9th april 1917

keith

Dave.

hi dave

could you please look up info on the following dates sunday 8th april and tuesday 10th april 1917 and let me no if there is any mention of 18th bn being pinned down and waiting to be relieved by manchester regiment, also would it be possible to let me no what was going on on both these days.

cheers and thanks

keith

• 1 month later...

Dear Dave,

Can you find out what actions the Kings Liverpool were involved in just before or on 2 October 1915, or any information on a private J A Courtie No. 22104 who died on 2 October1915 and who is buried in Swansea Cemetery.

It looks like he was in the 2/5th Bn. as he is mentioned in the 26 September 1916 issue of the London Gazette as having 19 shillings and 1 pence as Soldiers Balances Undisposed Of!

Regards,

Norman

• 2 months later...

HI Folks

I am trying to find info on the Kings Regiment 14th Bn around September 1916.

Just to expand or narrow it down a bit, I am looking for any info on a Siah Millington (20359) he was KIA on the 14/9/16 and the only thing we can find is (13-14 September 1916: the battle of Machukovo). He can be found on the CWGC website.

Regards

Ken

• 1 month later...

hi,

have a medal awarded to Pte 88266 Albert Salt Liverpool Regiment. was wondering if anyone had any information on him. batt. maybe?

thanks,

conor

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

I am wondering if you can find out about a John Henry Carkeet. reg no 20999.

I know he worked his way up through the ranks to 2nd Lt.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards, Womo

I was in Cambrin Military Cemetery south of Festubert yesterday. There are 57 Kings Liverpool from Day 1 of Loos in Row D.

Hi Womo

Have you looked in this file at Kew WO 374/12366 CARKEET, 2/Lieut J H?

All the best

Per Terram

Hi Per Terram,

Thanks for your advice, can access that file on line somehow or must I go to Kew itself?

Many thanks, Womo

Hi Womo,

It's an original document that you will need to see at Kew or ask for a look up, but it's likely to be a long file.

All the best

PT

Hi again Per Terram,

Thanks for that, please forgive my ignorance!, but requesting a look up, will someone at Kew do that for me if I email them? Would they send a copy?

Again, forgive my ignorance!!!!

Cheers, Womo

• 1 month later...

Dave.

I have a member of the 6th Bn, Harry Gwillim Barnshaw, who died 25th May 1915 and is buried at Bailleul. I note that a number of casualties from the battalion occurred on just a few days in May and wonder if you could tell me where the battalion was in action at the time. I have maps etc. so can locate places when I know where to look.

Many thanks, Natalia

Hi Natalie

Welcome to the Forum. As Rifleman Barnshaw ‘died’, rather than was ‘killed’, it is difficult to say when he was wounded. A single comrade of his was killed the day before, but other than that, the last action they seem to have been involved in, was on the 5th of May, north-west of Hill 60, and near the village of `Zillebeke’. All part of the battle of Ypres.

Bailleul is about 40 km behind the lines, so he must have been wounded, and then moved back to a larger hospital. But it will be difficult to discover if he was wounded on the 5th, or days later.

The action on the 5th of May is covered in Wyrall’s “History of The Kings Liverpool Regiment” in some detail, including the location of the companies. So if you can discover which company he was in, you will get a better idea of where he may have been.

Have you contacted Merseyside Museum? If you email:

Karen.O'Rourke@liverpoolmuseums.org.uk

they will advise you what information they have.

From his low number (1692) he was probably a pre-war member of the Liverpool Rifles. If he was it was quite an elite TF force. He would have paid a subcription to be a member. Have you downloaded his medal index card from the National Archives website? This will tell you when he went to France.

Pete

Wow thanks Promenade - I'm stunned. Harry's maternal grandmother was from Hawarden, Flintshire and a distant cousin of my grandfather. Where on earth did you find all the detail? I am enormously grateful.

Many thanks, Natalia

• 4 months later...

Hi, I have just found this thread and wondered if you have any information about the following 4 men

Jack Gilliver 6th Battalion e lichfield 99509

Victor John Dixon 11th Battalion e Lichfield 88616 formerly 203141, east surrey regiment

Arthur Hermon Lawes 6th Battalion e Liverpool 241939

Thanks

John

• 7 months later...

Dave.

The man I am looking into is a Liverpool man;

39440 Pte Frederick Knott BREWER, 8th Batt. Kings Liverpool Regiment.

His date of death 5 Oct 1918 and is buried Anneux cemetary.

I would be grateful of any info regarding action on or just before that date.

Thanks.

PHILRIGGER

Phil

The 8th Bn. around that time were involved in the Battle and capture of Cambrai as part of the 57th Division. I'm afraid the regimental history doesn't contain very much at all about the actions of the 8th around that time.

• 4 weeks later...

Dave,

could you take a look for me and see if there is any info on my Great Uncle, 14811 Sergeant Arthur Parker 12th Battalion Kings Liverpool. He was born Leyland Lancs and also enlisted from there too. Killed in action 1st May 1917 Havrincourt Wood.

Any information would be great

Kindest Geoff

• 11 months later...

Hi Dave,

I was just wondering if you might be able to provide some information regarding the following please?

I'm currently reasearching the following soldier: Pte. Herbert Joseph Reynolds, Reg. 595. He served with the 1st/5th Battalion, The King's (Liverpool Regiment). He was killed on the 17/07/1915 and is commemorated on the Le Touret Memorial, France which commemorates losses during the battles of Festubert and Neuve Chapelle.

Seeing as his death occured after these battles, I would be grateful if you might be able to tell me what the battalion were doing around the time of his death.

Regards

Paul

Paul,

The Battalion War Diary mentions him. This is very rare for 'other ranks'.

The full entry for that day is:

"Relieve 7th L'pool in Givenchy trenches. Casualties - Other ranks, one killed - No.595 L/Cpl. Reynolds by shell fire"

Ken