Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings (Liverpool) Regiment

CROONAERT

Hi Dave,

Are you able to look up the activities and location of the 13th Bn the Kings Liverpool (9th Brigade 3rd Division) in between the dates of 13th - 17th June 1918.

Thanks Dave, as always your help is realy apreciated.

kind regards Aaron.

Aaron,

There is no mention in the King's History of the 13th Bn between 13th & 17th June 1918.

Regards,

Ken

Thanks for the info Ken,

Best regards Aaron.

Dave

I have a separate thread running on an Officer who jumped about Regiments somewhat. Things are coming together slowly but I need some help on the Liverpools front.

Charles Edmund Ross appears in the London Gazette commissioned into the Yorkshire Regiment as a Major, relinquishing his commission on account of ill health from 25th March 1915.

He then appears as serving in the Garrison Bn Liverpool Regiment in October 1917 and promoted to acting Lt Col while commanding a Bn 3rd May - 29th May 1917.

I have little knowledge of the Liverpools so would be very grateful if could have a look through the history to see if there is any mention of him.

Kind Regards

Richard

Guest Liz Kloman
I've just taken delivery of the regimental history for The King's Regiment (Liverpool) between 1914 and 1919.

Any look-ups required, just ask.

Dave.

Dave,

Is your offer still open? I read the excerpts from 30 July 1916, 20th Kings scanned from the regimental history. Could you tell me if there is any notation on ALBERT HUGHES Private 29663 20th Bn., The King's (Liverpool Regiment) who died on Sunday 30 July 1916 . Realizing that OR are rarely mentioned, is there a notation in the index about him? Thank you.

Liz

Dave,

I'm looking for any information on the following:

2nd LT. Thomas Guy Pocock

The King’s (Liverpool Regiment)

4th Battalion

DOW April 3, 1915

Thanks for the help!

Robert

I have little knowledge of the Liverpools so would be very grateful if could have a look through the history to see if there is any mention of him.

Hi Richard.

Sorry, but there's no mention of him in the index (and I ain't flicking through all 750+ pages of the history to find him either!!!! :P:D )

Dave.

Liz and Robert.

Nothing actually mentioning by name either of your soldiers (apart from in the Roll of Honour).

Robert - April 3rd 1915 not even memtioned for the 4th Bn.

Liz - the next 2 posts are yours (20th Bn on 30th july 1916)...

Dave.

post-16-1105141081.jpg

...and...

post-16-1105141161.jpg

Dave

Many thanks for looking, very much appreciated. This Ross chap is very illusive !

How many Garrison Bn’s did the Liverpool’s have ?

Thanks

Richard

Could I trouble you for any details of what happened to 1st Kings on 8-9 August 1916 at Guillemont?

AGWR

3 posts...

1 of 3...

post-16-1105320474.jpg

2 of 3...

post-16-1105320528.jpg

3 of 3...

post-16-1105320570.jpg

How many Garrison Bn’s did the Liverpool’s have ?

Richard.

3. (1st,2nd and 3rd (Garrison) Battalions).

I'm no expert on the Liverpools, but there were also a few "unusuals" such as the 233rd Infantry Bn., and the 51st,52nd and 53rd Graduated battalions. Oddities such as these can be found in many regiments (such as the 51st, 52nd and 53rd Manchesters)

Dave.

Dave,

Thank you very much for taking the time to look this up for me. Much appreciated. Hopefully, one day I will be able to return the favour.

Kind Regards,

AGWR

• 3 weeks later...

Dave - my last request for some time so I'd better make it a good 'un

6th Bn - 8/8/16 (the posts above were tantalisingly close!)

Cheers.

Andy.

6th Bn - 8/8/16 (the posts above were tantalisingly close!)

The next 2 posts are yours, Andy....

post-16-1106883690.jpg

...and...

post-16-1106883751.jpg

(Thanks Andy!)

Just to let everyone know....

I'll now be taking no more part in this thread.

(feel free to take it over, anyone!!!)

Dave. :)

• 1 month later...

I managed to get hold of a copy of the first volume of Everard Wyrall's "The King's Regiment (Liverpool)" from the library, a magnificent hard backed edition with quite a few fold out maps. It is really old, possibly the original edition.

Anyway, I am now considering buying a new copy, and noticed that Amazon sell it for £48 listed as paperback, obviously a recent reprint. Can anyone confirm whether the maps and so on have been included in the reprint? Is it still in 3 volumes? Is this the same edition for sale at http://www.naval-military-press.com also for £48?

Also, is it possible to purchase a copy of the war diary for a particular Battalion or have these not been transcribed (yet)?

How likely is it that an OR will get a mention in either Wyrall's publication or the war diary? Of three family members that myself and my girlfriend have who served in the KLR during the Great War, two won the MM and the other was killed. It would be nice to find out a bit more about these men.

Thanks.

shaun,

What are the names of the men your looking for? I'm sure someone will know if you put them on the forum.

Most of the K.L.R. diaries are in the Maritime Museum in Liverpool some have been transcribed.

Other Ranks names tend to be mentioned at the beginning of a battalion's service in the war and when they get more and more casualties the names tend to be left off the diary. Officer's names tend to always be named. (All men are equal eh!!!).

Hope this helps. But do put the names of these men on the forum and I'm sure someone will help.

Blueblood (Phil)