Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings (Liverpool) Regiment

CROONAERT

Dave,

Researching the 1st Battalion irish guards involvement in the Battle of Festubert 17th/18th May 1915. The 5th Bn Kings were on the immediate left of the IGs on the May 18th attack on ferme Cour D'avoue. It would be great if you could tell me what was their activity on these two dates. Also Is there any maps, or appendices attached to the Kings War Diaries regarding the action on the 17th/18th.Thankyou for taking the time out to help,

Regards,

Mick.

• 8 months later...

Hi

Do you have any photographs/information on my Great Grandfather CSM John Griffin 6884 4th Bn Liverpool Kings? He was killed in action on 11/10/1918 at the River Selle.

I haven't had much luck tracking down any photos yet.

Thank You

Hi

Do you have any photographs/information on my Great Grandfather CSM John Griffin 6884 4th Bn Liverpool Kings? He was killed in action on 11/10/1918 at the River Selle.

I haven't had much luck tracking down any photos yet.

Thank You

Hi Liverpoolgirl

It might be that there was something in the local papers at the time-am thinking of the Daily Post. They have helpful staff at the newspaper library at the Old Hall Street office if you ring and ask to be put through.

Failing that there is the War Diary.

Peridot

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have been researching a little family history.

I have a trio plus MM & bar to

CE Ranner 18260

His MIC shows that he was with the RE when awarded the MMs but then later transfers to the "L'Pool R"

Am I right in thinking this was the Kings (Liverpool) Regiment?

If so can I find out any more details about his service?

I have his MM LG entries so am not looking for that info.

Thanks for any help

From MIC

Charles E Ranner

Served as Corporal 113424 with RE before transferring to King's (Liverpool) Regiment as 18260

To France 14/09/1915

Star, BWM, VM all on RE rolls

To Class "Z" Reserve 27/01/19

No Service/"Pension" records on Ancestry

From BMD, possible Charles Edward Ranner, b. 1885 Newmarket.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Stephen, I have the MIC details as you have posted, but what does BMD stand for?

I see you are in the Warrington area, my mothers family is from that area too. :)

Have a look at 'Chriscoli' reads like a Warrington Who's who :)

In case Stephen has gone upstairs, BMD is Births, Marriages and Deaths - FreeBMD is indexed by volunteers from the General Register Office's records and a useful tool for family history seekers, and others. There are other sites which offer similar information.

D

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave

I have just found this site and hope you can help me, I am going to Ypres in a few weeks and to visit my Gt Uncles grave at Festubert, but am hoping to find more about him, ie where he died, or where he acted to be awarded the Military Cross.

He was in the 1/8 Liverpool Kings, and his name was Lieutenant John Edmund Fenn 305523. He died on the 9th April 1918. He recieved the Military Cross middle of 1917 (when he was a 2nd Lieutenant), I have seen the citation in the London Gazette but it has no further detail as to where he was.

Any help or guidance would be really appreciated. My Grandmother (his sister) gave me his medal in the 1970's and it is still in pride of place in my home, and at last I am going to go to see where he spent the last 3 years of his life fighting for his country.

Thanks

Shaun

Shaun

Welcome to the Forum. You will find plenty of like-minded people here.

Have you seen the War Graves Commission's details for your Gt Uncle?

Here they are, in brief:

"FENN, JOHN EDMUND

J E

United Kingdom

Lieutenant

The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

1st/8th Bn.

09/04/1918

M C

Son of Mrs. Annie Fenn, of 23, Jubilee Drive, Liverpool.

Commonwealth War Dead

IV. C. 12.

BROWN'S ROAD MILITARY CEMETERY, FESTUBERT"

He is also named on the Liverpool Town Hall Roll of Honour - if you do not know about that let me know, as you can have a virtual tour, but no sighting of the actual panel details.

I am putting together some notes on those on that Roll who earned decorations, so if you have any more about Fenn I would be pleased to have details.

Daggers

Thanks! Yes I have seen the CWGC details, but didnt know about the roll of honour, so will go and visit that. I am hoping that he may have had a mention somewhere in the war diary or in a newspaper. Thanks for such a quick reply, Shaun

• 2 months later...

Hi Dave,

Just come across your post.

Could i ask you to have a look for a Harry Billington (4069/201632) 1st Battalion as of 1st April 1918 posted missing 16th April 18....trying to track down where he may have been taken after being listed missing.

He was in 2/5 Battalion prior to 1st Battalion, wounded and shipped home on 15th November 1917.

Thanks Dave any info is very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Russ

• 1 month later...

Dave

I would be extremely grateful if you would look up what is written about the 11 / Kings Liverpool on 21 March, 22 March and 23 March... I think the soldier I am interested in was captured (and wounded) on 23 March; his names Charles (or Charlie) Jonas Eke.

I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me

Andrew

• 1 year later...

My G/Uncle, Capt John Hunter 10Th Kings Liverpool Regiment, was awarded an M.C .Do you have any information about his award ?

London Gazette 18 July 1917: '2nd Lieut J. Hunter. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. During an attck, although shot in the foot, he continued to lead his company under heavy fire with great bravery and determination. He has shown splendid leadership on every occasion.'

The above is quoted in 'Bravest of Hearts, the biography of a battalion: the Liverpool Scottish in the Great War'.

D

My G/Uncle, Capt John Hunter 10Th Kings Liverpool Regiment, was awarded an M.C .Do you have any information about his award ?

Shootdown1,

Daggers is, as usual, spot on. A query to our Hon Curator of the Liverpool Scottish Museum Trust might produce some more info from his database although we have something of a back log of queries at the moment (you might be part of it - if so my apologies) having just spent the summer moving our archive office and our stored artifacts.

Ian

• 1 year later...

Hi Dave

Would it be possable to look up any extra info regarding this soldier John Millar. He was first 12th KLR then S Lan Regt.

62744 A/C.Sgt Millar, John 12th KLR 20894 Sgt, S Lan R 62744.

There was a note with his medals saying "Mentioned in distpatches for bravery(Oak leaf) Taking Command when all offices were killed."

Kind Regards

Earl

• 1 month later...

I've just taken delivery of the regimental history for The King's Regiment (Liverpool) between 1914 and 1919.

Any look-ups required, just ask.

Dave.

Hi,

I've been researching and tracing the footsteps of 2 relatives who were with 1/6th Kings. My great uncle was Rifleman Albert Fowler, killed at Zillebeke at 2nd Ypres, 5.5.15. and commemorated on the Menin Gate. My grandfather Pte Reginald Powell also volunteered in1914 and was RAMC attached to 1/6th, as his medal card shows same landing date in France as the 1/6th. He was wounded on the Somme in 1916 and invalided out.

So I've cycled and walked the Ypres Salient 4 times and the Somme 7 times, focusing on the areas where they served.

I know nothing, however, of the 1/6th in the Festubert area, where I plan to cycle next. Any guidance as to their movements and actions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Duncan

I'll now be taking no more part in this thread.

...nearly 9 years since I posted the above! (how time flies!)

Thread locked to prevent further disappointment.

Dave