Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings (Liverpool) Regiment

CROONAERT

Hi Dave,

Could you please check what the 1st/7th was doing on June 11, 1918. I have a BWM for a Cecil Calvert KIA. Whenever you get a chance. I know I have imposed on your kindness more than once before and I do appreciate your efforts on my behalf.

Thank you & Take care,

Neil

Could you please check what the 1st/7th was doing on June 11, 1918. I have a BWM for a Cecil Calvert KIA.

Neil,

On the 8th June the 1/7th King's Liverpool Regt took over the right sub-sector of the Givenchy Sector from the 2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers, with the Bn. HQ at Villa Geline.

On the 11th Bn Hq moved to Fanshawe Castle.

On 14th they were relieved by the 1/4th loyal North Lancs.

That is all that the Bn War Diary has to say about this period.

Regards,

Ken

Could you please check what the 1st/7th was doing on June 11, 1918. I have a BWM for a Cecil Calvert KIA.

Hi Neil.

What Ken has supplied is more than I can. No mention of the 1/7th in the Regimental History between the end of April and the beginning of June 1918.

Sorry! :(

Dave.

Whenever you get a chance. I know I have imposed on your kindness more than once before and I do appreciate your efforts on my behalf.

Thank you & Take care,

Now, now, Neil. Don't go over the top! :P

Impose on me all you like, mate! :D

Dave.

Morning Dave,

I'm looking in to the chaps on my old school's memorial and I've got three chaps all from the 1st Bn. They are:

9423 Pte Hubert Kenny died 19.09.14

9956 Sgt Frank martin Wilson died 14.10.1916

9600 L/Sgt Samuel J Yates died 19.05.1915

Could you have a look what the Bn was doing on those dates for me and if they are mentioned on the Roll of Honour.

As ever your help is much appreciated

all the best

George

9423 Pte Hubert Kenny died 19.09.14

George.

The 19/9/14 was spent in "relative inactivity". However, the Roll of Honour lists Pte Kenny as having been KIA on the 15th September, not he 19th.

Here's what they were up to on that day...

post-16-1094773270.jpg

9600 L/Sgt Samuel J Yates died 19.05.1915

19th May '15...

post-16-1094773572.jpg

9956 Sgt Frank martin Wilson died 14.10.1916

Sgt.Wilson is the only one of the three who isn't listed in the Roll of Honour.

Nothing in the History. It seems that 14th Oct. '16 was a rather "routine" day....

post-16-1094774103.jpg

Cheers Dave

it appears the date of death for Kenny is wrong in the school's records and Wilson must have died of wounds recieved in an earlier action.

Thanks a lot for you time, as always much appreciated.

George

• 2 months later...

HImy name is keith Ryan my Grandfather was in 2/8th KLR he enlisted 1916 and was pensioned out i dont know why i have been told that he was in the 8th irish regiment i dont know if its the same as 2/8th i have his medal number regiment

William Ryan 307767 labour corps 370390 any help in manovers etc would be truly appreciated

Thank you

Keith Ryan

I'm trying to find some information on the 30th Division, CXLIX (149th) Brigade "C" Battery, RFA, from their formation to the end of June 1917. My G-Grandfather was Gassed on or about the 4th of June (Died on the 7th) and I'm trying to work out where they were and what they were up to at the time.

(Gunner WILLIAM ROWBOTTOM, 16548)

Thanks,

Stuart.

ryank

the 8th Battalion of the King's Liverpool Regiment were known as the Liverpool Irish, they were a prewar territorial unit.

Sometime after hostilities started the Liverpool Irish were expanded to create two fighting Battalions, the 1/8th and the 2/8th. A draft finding/training unit, the 3/8th was created in the UK to supply men to the two frontline units. Once the war came staffing for the 8th came in the form of volunteers and later conscripts.

see the long, long trail link for what the 2/8th did when and where.

I'm trying to find some information on the 30th Division, CXLIX (149th) Brigade "C" Battery, RFA, from their formation to the end of June 1917. My G-Grandfather was Gassed on or about the 4th of June (Died on the 7th) and I'm trying to work out where they were and what they were up to at the time.

Stuart.

Take a look at the mothersite ("the Long Long Trail") - link at the top of this page.

You'll find out the rough movements of the 30th Div. here.

Also, on this forum, do a search in the Document Repositry for the "History of the Royal regiment of Artillery". There is someone offering look-ups from this history, they'll be able to help you with more detail. I've got that book also, but this thread (King's Liverpool Regiment) isn't the place to answer your query.

Alternatively, re-ask your question under the "soldiers" section perhaps?

Dave.

• 4 weeks later...

Dave

My grandfather (see signature) served with the 11th, 19th and finally the 1/5th Kings. Ken Lees kindly supplied me with details of the citation for the MM he won in September 1918. It reads :-

"For gallantry whilst one of a patrol on 7th/8th September, 1918 near Festubert. The party coming under heavy machine gun fire from immediate front and flanks, he was foremost in encouraging others about him to rush the Pill Boxes, helping to make good our positions in the captured Posts at a distance of 800 yards from our original line. On the night of 7th/8th September he conveyed important messages to Company Headquarters through a heavy bombardment of the trench system."

Can you tell me that your book says (if anything) about this action, or this date.

Regards

Steve

Steve,

With apologies to Dave for high-jacking his thread!

The actions you mention are not covered in the KLR History I have also searched for any mention of Nulty but unfortunately he was not mentioned either. The following information, taken from the War Diary, will hopefully answer your question in more detail.

Thomas Nulty who was the son of Patrick and Kate Nulty of Prescot enlisted in Liverpool on 24 August 1914 and was posted to 11 KLR arriving in France with his Battalion on 19 May 1915. My records state that he only served with 11 KLR and 1/5 KLR and I would be interested to know your source that he served with 19 KLR (did his papers survive or do you have some personal papers?).

FESTUBERT

5th September 1918

The Battalion relieved the 6th KLR in the left FESTUBERT sector. Night fairly quiet.

6th September

Fairly quiet. Active patrolling by 'B' and 'C' Companies. Reconnoitering Companies penetrated about 500 yards into the enemy lines

7th September

4 Patrols ordered by Brigade penetrated the German trenches to a depth of 1000 yards and positions were maintained. Four platoons engaged 3 of 'B' Company and one of 'C' Company. Owing to the troops on the right with drawing from advanced positions one platoon of 'C' Company was brought into MARAIS ALLEY to form a defensive flank. Our casualties were slight. Casualties inflicted on the enemy eleven known to be killed. We captured one wounded prisoner, one machine gun, two automatic pistols (large), one Very light pistol and a quantity of documents. Hostile shelling of old German Front line during the afternoon very intense between 8 and 10.15pm.

8th September

The Battalion was relieved by 1/85 South Lancashire Regt and proceeded by lorry to VAUDRICOURT No 2 Camp. Last Company ('B') arrived in camp at 3.40am.

To complete the picture - not sure whether you have this information on the Bar to his MM also awarded while he was with 1/5 KLR:

'At Canteleux during a minor operation on 17 and 18 September 1918. For gallantry and devotion to duty. In the attack on Canteleux Trench on the morning of 18 September 1918, showed great resource and was mainly instrumental in capturing nine of the enemy in a small dug-out in a portion of Strong Point. Having secured them, this man took them across the open to the original point of departure and then immediately returned to advanced positions, where he continued to do good work until the relief of his Company 36 hours afterwards.'

The War Diary states:

GIVENCHY

15th September 1918

Some gas shelling in CRATER AREA. Intermittent shelling during the day of Battalion sector. Battalion ordered to occupy assembly positions opposite Canteleux Trench but this was cancelled at 11pm.

16th September

Fairly quiet. Battalion switched over to outpost positions taking up assembly positions opposite Canteleux trench. Jumping off line in No Man's Land marked by tape and all preparations ready for the attack the next day.

17th September

At 5.20am the artillery barrage opened for our attack on Canteleux Trench. All objectives gained and little opposition encountered. 16 prisoners captured - four Companies attacked with two Companies of 7 KLR in support. The enemy shelled Canteleux Trench, Apse House and all the points that we had gained during the day but did not attempt a counterattack. During the night our line was advanced by 200yds this new line being consolidated shell holes, blocks in Communication Trenches and a house at A 11.d.95.12.

18th September

Much quieter during the day. A few of the enemy made a half-hearted attempt to occupy the house held by us but were driven off. Again at 9pm a similar attempt was made with the same result. The Battalion was relieved by 7 KLR (less 1 1/2 Companies) - relief completed 12.45am 18/19 September. Battalion moved to the left support position.

19th September

Very quiet day. 'A' and 'D' Companies bathed at Canal House.

Regards

Joe

Joe

Many thanks. I'd almost given up hope of getting the citation for the Bar to his MM. Ken Lees had provided me with the citation for the first award.

I'm extremely grateful for your help.

Kind regards

Steve

Joe

I've just read your mesage again and realised that I hadn't answered your question.

When Chris Baker conducted a research assignment on my grandfather, his report stated

"The medal index card says that he was entitled to the 1914-15 Star, having first entered the theatre of war in France on 19 May 1915. He was also entitled to the British War Medal and Victory Medal.

Thomas served as Private 13100 with the King’s (Liverpool Regiment).

The card also gives reference codes to locate the original rolls for these awards. These add that he had first served with the 11th Battalion, then the 19th and finally the 1/5th."

I have the MIC and can email it to you, along with a copy of the rep[ort, if you let me have your address.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I'll try another regiment, if I may Dave!

Please can you let me have details for 1/6th Bn on 30th November, 1917 and 2/7th Bn on 11th September, 1918.

Happy New Year.

Andy.

Please can you let me have details for 1/6th Bn on 30th November, 1917

Of course...

(1 of 2)...

post-16-1104872027.jpg

2 of 2...

post-16-1104872078.jpg

2/7th Bn on 11th September, 1918.

Andy.

I'm afraid there's nothing mentioned here for this bn between 3rd September (when ,the history says, it was withdrawn for reorganisation) and September 27th.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Are you able to look up the activities and location of the 13th Bn the Kings Liverpool (9th Brigade 3rd Division) in between the dates of 13th - 17th June 1918.

Thanks Dave, as always your help is realy apreciated.

kind regards Aaron.