Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

• Admin
1 hour ago, G19 said:

Ken many thanks for the extra information, to be honest I have only looked at this thread and it got me interested again in trying to find out more about my grandads service in WW1.

I recently had a day visited to Ypres and Tyne Cot Memorial and just walking around came across a grave for an unknown soldier from the MGC which renewed my interest in trying to find out more about my grandad who did survive WW1.

I am not sure I am reading your reply correctly as the war medals have his ASC service number on them but you are saying he did not serve overseas with the ASC. If his first encounter in a theatre of war was with the MGC would that not be the service number on the medals or am I confusing things.

So back to basics.

The MGC number of Pte. Frederick James Penfold was 145957.  This is the number shown on the MGC Medal Rolls, there is no reference to the ASC for service in a theatre of war.

There is also another Frederick James Penfold 83534, formerly 185344 ASC a resident of Ockley nr. Dorking and his civil occupation was a saddler.

When you order the Medal index cards from TNA to the best of my recollection you get a sheet with six cards.

As you have the medals they were clearly awarded to 145957.  You can therefore ignore my previous post as his service record has not survived.  

You’re ok but unfortunately  we’ve confused you! 83534 is a different soldier and not your grandfather.

The record of 145924 Churchill b. 1900 has and shows he went direct from the Training Reserve to the MGC Training Battalion and posted to France 26 May 1918.  The record of 145981 Kendrick also survives, he too was posted from the TR to the Training Bn of MGC an posted to the Corps 14.4.1918., he also proceeded to France on 26 May 1918, as did 145946 Munday.

As these ‘bracket’ your Frederick James Penfold we can have a reasonable idea of when he went to France, he was probably in this cohort who were younger than the other Penfold from Ockley.  Where he went after the Base Depot at Camiers  is always more difficult to establish.  (Kendrick went to the Labour Corps via the Royal Fusiliers just after three months in the field with the Corps.). There are three men in the 14595* series who are listed in Soldiers died in the Great War I’ve checked them against CWGC to see if there was a common Battalion but there wasn’t.

Ken

Edited by kenf48

OK that makes a bit more sense and yes you get six record cards.....I guess both F J Penfold's being in the MGC confused the issue, especially as my grandad was also assigned to look after mules according to family. Many thanks for the information.

• 1 month later...

Hi! Do you have a Private Robert Taylor 13433 (47 MGC 16th division) formerly Rifle Brigade transferred to MGC? Trying to establish if he trained at Grantham before going overseas.

Thank you 

Angela

• Admin

9 hours ago, crazylibrarian said:

Hi! Do you have a Private Robert Taylor 13433 (47 MGC 16th division) formerly Rifle Brigade transferred to MGC? Trying to establish if he trained at Grantham before going overseas.

Thank you 

Angela

There is a tiny fragment (Daily Orders Grantham 10th March 1916 ) on FMP showing 13439 Tyler was transferred from the 14th Bn Rifle Brigade to the MGC on the 26th February 1916 which is about right for the number (he was also posted to 47 Coy).  

Pte Tyler is at the top of the list, and the only Rifle Brigade soldier which runs to 13261.  

I would guess Pte 13433 Taylor is on the previous page, which is apparently lost.

The link if you subscribe is https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F007406989%2F00449&parentid=GBM%2FWO363-4%2FSUPP%2F540467

The 14th RB was a Reserve Battalion men were selected for the MGC from these Battalions, if your man does not have the 14-15 Star he was posted to Grantham from the RB before going on active service overseas.

Ken

Edited by kenf48

Thank you Ken! We think he enlisted around July 1915, did his 3 month training with Rifle Brigade, then transferred to Grantham MGC Belton when it opened in October. He then went right through to the end of the war, hospitalised one day for his septic heel, had a bout of flu, experienced some gassing (associated with illness in later years) never openly talked about it, only rare occasions. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, crazylibrarian said:

Thank you Ken! We think he enlisted around July 1915, did his 3 month training with Rifle Brigade, then transferred to Grantham MGC Belton when it opened in October. He then went right through to the end of the war, hospitalised one day for his septic heel, had a bout of flu, experienced some gassing (associated with illness in later years) never openly talked about it, only rare occasions. 

As I said his transfer to the MGC was in February 1916, no later than the 26th, but certainly not in October 1915.

If you look at the medal rolls for the MGC you will see 13433 Taylor was the first in group of men transferred from the Rifle Brigade where his regimental number was 13969.  This group was sequentially numbered to the MGC 13433 to 13437. (Tyler is not on the MG Corps  Rolls so transferred out before the medals were issued but 13440 Gardiner previously Border Regiment is so looks like a group of seven.)  It looks, from the Roll, as though they were allocated their MGC numbers based on their RB number sequence, rather than alphabetically.

At this time (it varied throughout the war) a recruit to the MGC would generally spend about six weeks at Grantham before going on active service.

47 Company was formed at Grantham and mobilised on the 24th April 1916 joined the 16th Division on 28 April 1916.  The Company listed 9 officers by name and 143 other ranks, after landing in France they began receiving instruction in trench warfare in the field almost immediately moving into trenches on the 1st May.

The war diary, if you have not already done so, can be downloaded from TNA

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352861

or is on Ancestry here

His Rifle Brigade number based on near number sampling and with the caveat it's not in my area of interest, indicates he mobilised at Winchester depot on or around the 9th October 1915 and was posted to 14th (Reserve) Battalion for basic training on or around and no earlier than, the 15th October 1916. (Surviving service record 15962 George Roberts).   Basic training around twelve weeks and on completion a soldier was either posted to an active duty battalion of the RB or remained at home or, transferred to another unit such as the MGC.  There was a requirement to be physically fit for the Corps as there was a lot of heavy kit to be carried around, his age might also have been a factor.  

Although the MGC was formed in October 1915 to a large extent recruitment and the speed of transition depended on the supply of Lewis guns to replace the heavy machine guns held by the battalions in the field.  The first recruits were the existing heavy machine gun teams from those battalions but for obvious reasons men were not taken from units who were on active duty overseas but from reserve units at home.  

Ken

1 hour ago, kenf48 said:

There is a tiny fragment (Daily Orders Grantham 10th March 1916 ) on FMP showing 13439 Tyler was transferred from the 14th Bn Rifle Brigade to the MGC on the 26th February 1916 which is about right for the number (he was also posted to 47 Coy).  

Pte Tyler is at the top of the list, and the only Rifle Brigade soldier which runs to 13261.  

I would guess Pte 13433 Taylor is on the previous page, which is apparently lost.

The link if you subscribe is https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F007406989%2F00449&parentid=GBM%2FWO363-4%2FSUPP%2F540467

The 14th RB was a Reserve Battalion men were selected for the MGC from these Battalions, if your man does not have the 14-15 Star he was posted to Grantham from the RB before going on active service overseas.

Ken

Ken,

That's good corroboration for my conclusions posted yesterday, but for which Andy and I had no written evidence ...

You mention he was posted to 47th MG Coy in February 1916.  The 47th MG Coy war diary begins with their 'mobilization' at Grantham on 24 Apr 1916 with the unit entraining for Southampton and the Western Front the next day.

I had assumed the unit had existed as a formed unit for longer than a single day before setting off to fight!  And of course it would be typical to only start the unit War Diary once warned for the Front.

Do you know if this unit was assembled in Feb 1916?  And was it then designated as 47th MG Coy, or did it become so only when it was 'mobilized' on 24 April?  i.e. do the 10 Mar 1916 Part II Orders specifically mention 47th MG Coy?

13433 TYLER is an interesting study: he does not appear on the MGC medal roll, but instead he's back on The Rifle Brigade roll!

561245221_TYLERArthur-RBMGC-BWVMroll.jpg.89a054d5911ca60618c0e462c5b2a886.jpg

It looks like he landed with 52nd MG Coy, so must have been shuffled out of 47th MG Coy while still in Blighty.  I imagine there must have been a fair bit of that while the new MG coys were forming in Spring 1916.  Perhaps compounded by the peculiarities of 16th (Irish) Division [47, 48 & 49 Inf Bdes], who took longer than expected to reach proper combat readiness and required a degree of further training in theatre after Loos.

Interesting too that Tyler did spend a period with 48th MG Coy in 16th Div before eventually being reunited with the RB.  16th Div and 20th (Light) Div worked closely together in the Capture of Guillemont in Sep 1916 e.g. the 47th MG Coy war diary mentions relieving 60th MG Coy there.  12/RB were in 60 Brigade.  Perhaps Tyler moved back at that point?

More interesting for myself and Andy though is that Tyler's RB Service Number was definitely S/14238 with the S/ prefix.  Is there an RB service number given for Tyler in the 10 Mar MGC Orders?  If it is given as 14238 without its S/ prefix, then that's good precedent for the MGC omitting the letter prefixes in error.

I am 90% confident that Robert Taylor's correct RB Service Number would similarly be S/13969 with the S/ prefix denoting a recruit destined for the New Armies.

It is very common for the various Rifles SN letter prefixes to be omitted on MICs and on the medal rolls of units receiving transferred riflemen.  Not to mention casualty lists etc.!

From your document we now know that TYLER had in fact originally been with 14/RB.  Interesting that the MGC medal roll for TAYLOR does list his origins in the RB, whereas the RB roll for TYLER makes it look like he was NOT in the RB when he landed.

Over in Angela's main topic about Robert Taylor, there's data from an MH106 record for Taylor from Sep 1916 where his 'unit' is given as 15th RB AND 47th MG Coy. The FWR index puts the RB as his main unit, with the MGC only as his 'Other' unit, but that might not be an accurate representation of what's actually on the Admissions Register document it refers to, which is probably that for No 34 CCS.  Not having a Forces War Records account, I have not seen the primary source for this.  14th and 15th RB were paired Reserve battalions co-located at this time in the Westcliff-on-Sea/Southend area.

I speculate these men may have still been administratively connected to their original regiment and treated at least in the early stages of their time with the MGC as attached.  Certainly the OC 47th MG Coy ,t/Major JS Harper, Manchester Regt, appears to be handled thus in the Army Lists for Summer 1916.  Does that fit with your broader knowledge of the MGC in 1916?

Mark

Sorry Ken - our posts crossed - you've already covered some of my Qs.

The dates for Taylor for enlistment of c. Jul 1915 and embarkation of c.Apr 1916 are derived from his 03 Sep 1916 MH106 No 34 CCS (?) Admissions Register entry, which gives total service of 14 months of which 5 months were in theatre.

The embarkation date is certainly a perfect fit for 47th MG Coy.

This is with the caveat that I have not had sight of this primary document.  I believe it's available on Forces War Records.

Mark

3 hours ago, crazylibrarian said:

Angela,

He was incapacitated for more than one day with his septic heel.

The Admissions Register entry Pal Mark1959 cited over in the other topic was just that for No 34 CCS.  Robert spent 5th/6th September 1916 there before being evacuated by No 17 Ambulance Train back to ROUEN.  He is likely to have spent some days there under treatment and recovery.

I'll post the 17 AT war diary entries for you back in the main TAYLOR topic.

Mark

• Admin
1 hour ago, MBrockway said:

Ken,

That's good corroboration for my conclusions posted yesterday, but for which Andy and I had no written evidence ...

You mention he was posted to 47th MG Coy in February 1916.  The 47th MG Coy war diary begins with their 'mobilization' at Grantham on 24 Apr 1916 with the unit entraining for Southampton and the Western Front the next day.

I had assumed the unit had existed as a formed unit for longer than a single day before setting off to fight!  And of course it would be typical to only start the unit War Diary once warned for the Front.

Do you know if this unit was assembled in Feb 1916?  And was it then designated as 47th MG Coy, or did it become so only when it was 'mobilized' on 24 April?  i.e. do the 10 Mar 1916 Part II Orders specifically mention 47th MG Coy?

13433 TYLER is an interesting study: he does not appear on the MGC medal roll, but instead he's back on The Rifle Brigade roll!

561245221_TYLERArthur-RBMGC-BWVMroll.jpg.89a054d5911ca60618c0e462c5b2a886.jpg

It looks like he landed with 52nd MG Coy, so must have been shuffled out of 47th MG Coy while still in Blighty.  I imagine there must have been a fair bit of that while the new MG coys were forming in Spring 1916.  Perhaps compounded by the peculiarities of 16th (Irish) Division [47, 48 & 49 Inf Bdes], who took longer than expected to reach proper combat readiness and required a degree of further training in theatre after Loos.

Interesting too that Tyler did spend a period with 48th MG Coy in 16th Div before eventually being reunited with the RB.  16th Div and 20th (Light) Div worked closely together in the Capture of Guillemont in Sep 1916 e.g. the 47th MG Coy war diary mentions relieving 60th MG Coy there.  12/RB were in 60 Brigade.  Perhaps Tyler moved back at that point?

More interesting for myself and Andy though is that Tyler's RB Service Number was definitely S/14238 with the S/ prefix.  Is there an RB service number given for Tyler in the 10 Mar MGC Orders?  If it is given as 14238 without its S/ prefix, then that's good precedent for the MGC omitting the letter prefixes in error.

I am 90% confident that Robert Taylor's correct RB Service Number would similarly be S/13969 with the S/ prefix denoting a recruit destined for the New Armies.

It is very common for the various Rifles SN letter prefixes to be omitted on MICs and on the medal rolls of units receiving transferred riflemen.  Not to mention casualty lists etc.!

From your document we now know that TYLER had in fact originally been with 14/RB.  Interesting that the MGC medal roll for TAYLOR does list his origins in the RB, whereas the RB roll for TYLER makes it look like he was NOT in the RB when he landed.

Over in Angela's main topic about Robert Taylor, there's data from an MH106 record for Taylor from Sep 1916 where his 'unit' is given as 15th RB AND 47th MG Coy. The FWR index puts the RB as his main unit, with the MGC only as his 'Other' unit, but that might not be an accurate representation of what's actually on the Admissions Register document it refers to, which is probably that for No 34 CCS.  Not having a Forces War Records account, I have not seen the primary source for this.  14th and 15th RB were paired Reserve battalions co-located at this time in the Westcliff-on-Sea/Southend area.

I speculate these men may have still been administratively connected to their original regiment and treated at least in the early stages of their time with the MGC as attached.  Certainly the OC 47th MG Coy ,t/Major JS Harper, Manchester Regt, appears to be handled thus in the Army Lists for Summer 1916.  Does that fit with your broader knowledge of the MGC in 1916?

Mark

Wow questions!

Ok I have enhanced the fragment on FMP which is the top half of the page. You will note it is page 3 and gives the date of transfer into the MGC.  As I said recruitment to the MGC changed as the  Corps grew and the war went on however in this early period men were often attached to the Corps prior to their transfer into the Corps when they were allocated the MGC Regimental number. I guess this was to make sure they made the grade, there was an Army Order issued in August 1916 which noted unsuitable men were being sent for training and setting out the physical requirements for potential recruits.  There is a suggestion especially from the older established regiments, who viewed the formation of the Corps with suspicion, that they did not post their 'best' soldiers into the Corps hence their reputation for being 'mavericks'.

What I can't tell without further research is whether or not the 26th February is back dated and the numbers allocated on the date as shown on this fragment.  

The Orders show the posting date to 47 Company and lower down the page 48 Company.  

1876435362_Screenshot2018-10-30at13_25_50.thumb.png.c404c9564720f1061749c3218a27b98c.png

I think we can deduce from this that these two Companies were raised from recruits at Grantham on the effective date of the 10th March.  Captain Harper was in command and interestingly he was promoted to T/Major on the embarkation date.  More relevant to your hypothesis is the fact no prefixes are shown for any of the previous numbers.

Incidentally my grandfather, from the Midlands, was in the RFA attached to the 36th (Ulster) Division because they didn't let the Irish have big guns I can't say whether or not that applied to heavy machine guns, it's something I've been meaning to chase up.  We do know however the 16th (Irish) Division had many shortages so whether the lack of machine guns was political or simply a matter of supply I don't know.

The MGC Rolls are, to put it politely a bit of a mess, but nonetheless useful for that.  It appears the clerk or supervisor only read the first line of the column 'Unit first served with etc', while this should mean 'in a theatre of war' the MGC have struck through the heading on their Rolls.  My research shows, especially with block postings, that the first unit did not mean he entered a theatre of war with that unit but was transferred into the Corps from that Regiment.  It's an anomaly which we cannot account for but I think was picked up in the Medals Office as they either ignore it, or in Taylor's case have reversed the units to that shown in the MGC Roll to reflect the medals should be named to the MGC.

As you say Tyler is interesting, it was unusual for men to be transferred from the MGC to the Infantry and even more unusual to end up back in their original Regiment retaining their original number. I was once told by a departed and respected member of the forum not to speculate but perhaps it happened after March 1918, to be honest a machine gunner in that Division was doing very well to escape being killed or captured.

I think I've covered the queries, hope this helps.  I can't explain the original enlistment date to the RB conflicting with the medical record other than my comments concerning the service record of 15962 Roberts.   I'm aware drawing conclusions from a single record should be treated with caution.  

I'll dig around a bit more this evening have to do my chores now before it gets dark grr!  

Ken

Edited by kenf48

Ken,

I trust the comment about your grandfathers service with the Ulster Division Artillery is tongue in cheek as its rather a silly statement if not.....'they did not let the Irish have big guns'. There is little to be said on thinking like that.

• Admin
6 hours ago, kenf48 said:

What I can't tell without further research is whether or not the 26th February is back dated and the numbers allocated on the date as shown on this fragment.

The transfer date to the MGC was 26 February, in surviving records it does not appear that there was any period of attachment prior to that date.

Ken

Edited by kenf48

• 9 months later...
On 21/08/2016 at 15:16, Lincspoacher said:

12844             Pte N.Woolnough                             3rd Yorks R 24225                              Same + Woolnought

2.12  (CWGC N.Woolnough KIA 7th E Yorks .17, possible same man?)

Not the same man

WOOLNOUGH NELSON

Private NELSON WOOLNOUGH

12844 53 Machine Gun Corps  (as MIC)

Nelson enlisted on the 10th November 1915 aged 20 into the 3rd Bn Yorkshire Regiment joining the Regiment at Richmond Yorks and allocated the service number 24225

He was transferred to the machine gun corps on the 22nd February 1916 and posted to the BEF in France on the 1st April 1916 posted to 55 Coy on the 22nd May 1916

On the 20th October Nelson was wounded in action shot wound  (shrapnel) to the hand arm scrotum and legs admitted to 7th Canada General Hospital in Etaples  evacuated home and admitted to 2nd Western General Hospital in Manchester

Nelson was discharged from service on the 18th September 1918 no longer physically fit for war service (K.R Para 392 (xv1) awarded the silver war badge No B26774

Nelson died on the 7th November 1918 aged 23 at home of influenza and pneumonia after being discharged from service 

Whilst commemorated on Middlesbrough war memorial, he is not commemorated on the Commonwealth debt of honour register as the cause of his death at home after discharge was not attributed to his military service

He was the son of Annie Mary Woolnaugh  and William Frederick Woolnough (a mariner) Nelson can be found on the 1901 census aged 6 residing with his mother and siblings at 31 Stephen Street West Hartlepool (Nelson’s mother Annie  died in 1906)

The register of soldiers effects list sister L (Laura) Melton sister S (Susanna) Woolnough and brother Alfred as the legatees of his effects 

The claimant of a dependents pension is listed as Mrs C (should read L) Melton (sister)  of 12 Esk Street North Ormesby Middlesbrough  (claim entitlement refused)     

Born West Hartlepool enlisted Stockton on Tees

FINAL RESTING PLACE UNKNOWN    M.W.M

Ray

Edited by RaySearching

• 3 months later...

Sorry I've been away and thank you RaySearching for providing the correct details for 12844 Pte N.Woolnough.

97th training reserve battalion + others

MGC number: 13517          Name: Pte C.G.Luxton                               MIC/CWGC/Roll details: ASC S/2/11977 + 1st in zone 22.3.15 + trans class Z res 1.4.19

13518                     L/Cpl W.Key                                                                            97th Tr Res Btn 33857 + ASC 158004 + MIC as KEW + 26.10.17 KIA

188th Coy MGC

13519                     Pte T.Nunn                                                                              97th Tr Res Btn 33864 + ASC 143889 + trans class z res 17.5.19

13520                     Pte C.Roberts                                                                         97th Tr Res Btn 33767 not on MIC + APC 2396 + ASC 1347 + trans

class z res 24.2.19

13521                     Pte W.F.Tubb                                                                           97th Tr Res Btn 33876 + ASC 215501 + trans class z res 13.11.19

13522                     No record of issue                                                                   not on roll

13523                     Pte W.J.Ryding                                                                        97th Tr Res Btn 33488 + QRWS reg 14172 +  trans class z res

13.10.19    

13524                     Pte A.Tamplin                                                                          Welsh reg 6340 + trans class z res 17.4.19

13525                     Pte C.W.Gray                                                                          North' fus 43272 + trans class z res 12.2.19

13526                     Pte T.N.Pippet                                                                         North' fus 31513 + 10.8.17 DOW 51st coy MGC

13527                     A/Cpl L.Pullan                                                                         W Yorks reg 29578 + North fus 31402 + trans class z res 5.3.19

13528                     Sgt E.J.Cawood                                                                      W Yorks reg 29632 + North fus 31439 + trans class z res 27.9.19

13529                     Cpl W.H.Bisbey                                                                       not on roll but MIC + ASC S/994256

13530                     T/Sgt J Robinson                                                                     not on roll but MIC + as Pte Colds' Grds 5071 + 1st in zone 12.8.14                              

13531                     no record of issue

13532                     Pte G.Summerville                                                                  RAMC 22016 + North' fus 31811 + trans class z res 25.1.19 

Edited by Lincspoacher

Next series 95th training reserve battalion transfers

Mgc number:   13533    Name:   Pte P.G.Green                  MIC / CWGC / ROLL notes:     95th Tr res btn 12885 + trans class Z res 14.3.19

13534                 Pte F.Howe                                                                         Not on roll but MIC + AOC 045142 

13535                 Pte L.Puddephat                                                                 95th Tr res btn  12963 + enlisted 24.1.16 + discharged 'unfit' 19.10.17 

+ died at home 6.5.18

13536                 Pte W.J.Ridgeway                                                               95th Tr res btn 12886 + trans class Z res 15.3.19         

13537                 Pte F.T.Seamarks                                                                95th Tr res btn 12643 + as L/Cpl belived KIA 25.4.18 + Red cross enq made                                                                                                                                                 2.8.18 + served with 9th btn MGC formerly OX's & Buck's LI                                                13538                 Sgt H.Timms                                                                        95th Tr res btn 12904 + trans class Z res 16.3.19

13539                 Pte F.G.Warren                                                                    95th Tr res btn 12676 

13540                 Pte G.D.Howe                                                                      Not on roll but MIC +  ASC S4/041937 as Cpl 

13541                 Pte D.Groom                                                                        Not on roll but MIC + Suffolk reg 47498

13542                 Pte H.Goode                                                                        95th Tr res btn 12680 + MIA 28.3.18 + Red cross enq made confirmed not                                                                                                                                                   POW 30.5.18 + served with 2nd Btn D coy MGC + trans class z res 7.3.19

13543                 Pte H.Hollis                                                                          95th Tr res btn 12897 + trans class Z res 26.12.19  

13544                 Pte P.A.Lewis                                                                       95th Tr res btn 12679 + belived KIA 6.4.18 + Red cross enq made 2.8.18 &                                                                                                                                                   20.11.18   confirmed not POW 17.6.18 + served with B coy 37th Btn MGC 

Edited by Lincspoacher

93rd training reserve battalion

MGC number: 13545       Name: No record of issue                               MIC/CWGC/Roll details: not on roll

13546                  Pte H.Smith                                                                                not on roll but MIC + Lab corps 118417

13547                  Pte H.Carey                                                                                93rd Tr Res Btn 5255 + enlisted 15.11.15 + discharged 'unfit' 6.3.19

13548                  Cpl E.C.McCall                                                                           93rd Tr Res Btn 5256  + trans class z res 19.2.19                                                           13549                  Pte A.Palmer                                                                               93rd Tr Res Btn 5266 + trans class z res 15.3.19

13550                  Pte H.G.Townsend                                                                      93rd Tr Res Btn 5267 + trans class z res 27.2.19

13551                  No record of issue                                                                       not on roll

13552                  Pte F.Sampson                                                                            93rd Tr res btn 4798 + trans class z res 12.4.19

13553                  Pte C.C.Stockbridge                                                                    93rd Tr res btn 4801 + trans class z res 8.11.19

13554                  Pte G.Davis                                                                                 93rd Tr res btn  4815 + trans class z res 22.3.19

13555                  Pte G.H.Povey                                                                             93rd Tr res btn  4808 + awarded SWB + discharged 'unfit' 4.7.19

13556                  Pte W.H.Richards                                                                         93rd Tr res btn 4810 + trans class z res 24.2.19

+ awarded MM 22.7.19 in 4th btn

13557                   Pte O.W.S.Hunt                                                                            93rd Tr res btn  4811 + trans class z res 9.3.19

13558                   Pte A.F.Powell                                                                              93rd Tr res btn  4812             

13559                   Pte G.H.Thompson                                                                      93rd Tr res btn 4819 + awarded MM 13.5.19 in 30th btn                                                13560                   Pte F.Box                                                                                      93rd Tr res btn 4820 + KIA 22.9.17 with 197th coy 

Edited by Lincspoacher

• 1 year later...

Sorry i'm a bit rusty on the mechanics of the Forum

Bit of a shot in the dark but did Lincspoacher come up with any more service number lists of transfer to the MGC ?  Particularly interested in Norfolk and Yorkshire regiments.

Thanks - keep safe everyone

SKBob

This is probably what you're referring to

https://c1abt321.caspio.com/dp/c6396000b3b2cd94454e42e39713

From this forum post

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/241566-machine-gun-corps-transfer-lists/page/6/?tab=comments#comment-2982312

Searching the database at first if you don't find what you're after try a blank search which will return the first page of entries you can then view page by page.

The quickest way is to select 250 entries/page then scroll to the bottom and then select next page etc.

Tim

Edited by Woodnbits
added info