Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Comparison of Ypres and the Somme as a visitor experience

Mark Hone

It is the best, indeed only, place to eat out on the Somme, but I don't think it quite lives up to its reputation on here. I find it over-elaborate and fussy, with lots of rather heavy pre-prepared sauces, the kind of classic French cuisine that has thankfully become unfashionable here. The coating of sugar around the rim of my glass of gin and tonic threw up the warning signals!

How early is your MB, EarlyMB? '41 slattie?

Thanks for the suggestion on the Auberge, I saw them mentioned on here before so I already looked were they are located. We'll see where we'll end up but I'll keep it in mind. A simple entrecote with Roquefort sauce and fries is enough to make me happy :)

1 hour ago, horrocks said:

How early is your MB, EarlyMB? '41 slattie?

Close, it was delivered on January 8, 1942 and is a mid-production slatgrill. The correct details drive me crazy sometimes ;)

On 19/08/2020 at 13:45, EarlyMB said:

Thanks for the suggestion on the Auberge, I saw them mentioned on here before so I already looked were they are located. We'll see where we'll end up but I'll keep it in mind. A simple entrecote with Roquefort sauce and fries is enough to make me happy :)

Close, it was delivered on January 8, 1942 and is a mid-production slatgrill. The correct details drive me crazy sometimes ;)

That can be a bit of a problem. I have a March 42 and a Jan 45, the latter currently under restoration. One can get a bit obsessed with details.

Just back from a few days on the Westhoek... my yearly dose of marching around there, so to speak ... still my favorite place to go! 

Bit easier of access also of course... 

M.