Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Drew-1918

London Regiment cloth shoulder titles and patches

Drew-1918

A couple more illustrations based on the collection of Grey Brigade. The first is a slip-on shoulder title of a type I have not really seen before:

87200612_Tlondsmall.png.a1b3931188c18b68b4b89bae57179c9d.png

It is similar to the more familiar metal shoulder titles. I have no idea of the date and would welcome suggestions. It is also similar to the following photograph I posted a few months back:

1095275058_C7Londsmall.jpg.6470fc641a0f14d77b60639258b5187d.jpg

'7th London' Badge query

The following is very unusual, and again, I have no real idea of the date:

121826644_7thLondsmall.png.e65a17b81199b5923a0867bd8de8487d.png

Drew-1918

I would like to confirm whether the following titles are Great War period or not.

1189485390_Kensm.png.773f69da57a302d8c249298c69ab0da5.png

I believe this red on grey 13th London one to be interwar. It would be good to get some evidence to confirm the fact one way or the other. 

199890241_3LRBsm.jpg.c140cffbab63a9842ef9a95cedf7f98c.jpg

I am not sure about this '3 C.L.R.B.' title. It was for sale on an auction site recently. Does it stand for '3rd City of London Rifle Brigade' or for the Cadets? 

2136095712_LonIrishsm.png.8e5e634370027219d10ce001286a510a.png

I am also not sure about this London Irish slip-on. There are similar ones at the IWM for the QWKRR, QVR. THR, LRB and Artists that are clearly interwar, so I suspect this one is too. However, I have seen it described as WW1. It would also be good to get evidence on the other London Irish titles below.

38742508_LIRclose-upslip-on.png.5dc658a6c76b2fa84aa135fe3461170a.png

398020333_LonIrishsm.jpg.b5fe72599ab4fff8da7db366ca2044d8.jpg

From my own collection

2130703049_LondonIrishsm.jpg.44a006694e8cf94ccf8d79e367ef7fc9.jpg

From my own collection

82650262_queens1.jpg.792cf8e0bd9a5f85ab34e2353e314abe.jpg

From an auction site

This title seems to be for the regular Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment. However, I have seen it described as both WW1 & WWII and also as a 'Londons' title. The similar red on khaki title included in my London cloth titles illustrations previously, is described by the IWM as 24th Battalion, London Regiment. I have also seen a square, slip-on style 'Queen's' title, in white on khaki, in a photograph of a Great War period soldier of the Queen's (not Londons'). 

I would be very grateful if anyone has information on any of the above.

Regards,

Chris

Edited by Drew-1918

Drew-1918
On 24/11/2018 at 10:24, Drew-1918 said:

A couple more illustrations based on the collection of Grey Brigade. The first is a slip-on shoulder title of a type I have not really seen before:

87200612_Tlondsmall.png.a1b3931188c18b68b4b89bae57179c9d.png

21/9/16 - 7/10/19, IWM Standard Pattern

Edited by Drew-1918
Typo

Grovetown

Drew-1918

Hello GT,

Very good of you to point this one out- thanks very much. I have not used that site before, but will definitely be looking into this one. 

Thanks again,

Chris

Dragoon
13 hours ago, Drew-1918 said:

Good to see this thread back on top again, very often look back on for reference etc.

I know it's probably a big ask, but would it be possible to consolidate it again with all the pictures and titles again please, makes it easy to look back on.

Many thanks

Chris

Drew-1918

Hello Chris,

Your interest is much appreciated so it is not a big ask at all. 

I was slowly in the process of consolidating, the only problem being that since I have switched from using Power Point to Adobe Illustrator, it takes quite a lot of time to produce all the images. I will certainly try and do as you request though. 

Can I just clarify what you mean? I thought the embroidered titles were pretty much consolidated a few posts back. Any ‘extra’ ones I left out as I wasn’t sure of their date. I could try to pull together all the ones I am unsure about in a different post, if that’s what you mean.

The patches are a bit spread out and I could certainly put them together with the latest work on the titles. Does the above sound like what you meant?

Grovetown
19 hours ago, Drew-1918 said:

Hello GT,

Very good of you to point this one out- thanks very much. I have not used that site before, but will definitely be looking into this one. 

Thanks again,

Chris

It's run by the Antiques Trades Gazette and provides 'traditional' auction houses with an online dimension.

Among other things, there's quite a bit of rare 'cloth' in that sale including, in this context, a pair of QVR shoulder titles.

Cheers,

GT.

Dragoon
13 hours ago, Drew-1918 said:

Hello Chris,

Your interest is much appreciated so it is not a big ask at all. 

Can I just clarify what you mean? I thought the embroidered titles were pretty much consolidated a few posts back. Any ‘extra’ ones I left out as I wasn’t sure of their date. I could try to pull together all the ones I am unsure about in a different post, if that’s what you mean.

The patches are a bit spread out and I could certainly put them together with the latest work on the titles. Does the above sound like what you meant?

Thank you for your response, appreciated.

Ah, I wasn't sure if the shoulder title one was complete, if it is then that's great, I've screen shot that.

I'd love to see all the slip on titles you know about on a similar basis to the shoulder titles, and any other unsure of items.

The work and effort you're putting into this thread is greatly appreciated, thank you

Chris

Ps, I'd keep it altogether on this thread, it's all relavent,up to you though, cheers

Edited by Dragoon

Drew-1918
5 hours ago, Grovetown said:

It's run by the Antiques Trades Gazette and provides 'traditional' auction houses with an online dimension.

Among other things, there's quite a bit of rare 'cloth' in that sale including, in this context, a pair of QVR shoulder titles.

Cheers,

GT.

Brilliant. Many thanks again. I have just looked up the QVR ones up too. As I think you probably know, the IWM describes the rectangular ones as 2/9th Bn. 

Drew-1918
2 hours ago, Dragoon said:

Thank you for your response, appreciated.

Ah, I wasn't sure if the shoulder title one was complete, if it is then that's great, I've screen shot that.

I'd love to see all the slip on titles you know about on a similar basis to the shoulder titles, and any other unsure of items.

The work and effort you're putting into this thread is greatly appreciated, thank you

Chris

Ps, I'd keep it altogether on this thread, it's all relavent,up to you though, cheers

Many thanks indeed. I will get on to this directly. Thanks for the feedback and advice, it is very helpful.

Dragoon
2 hours ago, Drew-1918 said:

Many thanks indeed. I will get on to this directly. Thanks for the feedback and advice, it is very helpful.

Cheers:thumbsup:

Toby Brayley

Among a group shot of the Military Police Pay Office, 1919 were these two chaps of the London Rifle Brigade. 

Nothing to special but hopefully of interest. 

Military Police records office 1919 lrb.jpg

Drew-1918

That’s fantastic. Thanks so much. I’m always grateful for anything like this. I wonder what they were doing there! 

Cheers,

Chris