Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"At Suvla Bay" - pamphlet request

clive_hughes

I'm looking for a copy of a pamphlet by Thomas Williams (aka Thomas Nefyn Williams) entitled At Suvla Bay: What A Soldier Learnt At Gallipoli".  Not sure when it was published, as it's apparently undated - maybe 1930s?  

It was published for the Fellowship of Reconciliation, so presumably has a pacifist slant to it.  He served at Suvla and later Palestine as a Private with 1/6th RWF, being wounded at 1st Gaza.   Tom Nefyn was later ordained in the Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church, but was something of a stormy peterel.  

If anyone has this item or knows where a copy can be obtained, please let me know.

Clive

I can't find it on copac.jisc.ac.uk, which should include the National Library of Wales holdings, but if it has been treated as ephemera they may have it on a separate catalogue.

Might be worth trying the Library of the Society of Friends https://www.quaker.org.uk/resources/library/visit-the-library

SeaJane,

Many thanks for the lead - I'll give it a try.

Clive

And the Imperial War Museum library which is not on Copac either.

seaJane,

Tried the Friends Library - they say it's not in there.  Have made a specific enquiry of the National Library of Wales now.  

Thanks,

Clive

Great, Hywyn!

I'll try to get a copy.

Diolch yn fawr!

Clive

Excellent!

SeaJane,

Just for interest, I have now been told that the National Library of Wales do indeed hold a copy of this pamphlet under shelfmark ref. XBR115 W2 W72

They explained that the computer catalogue starts from 1986, though most earlier items have by now been incorporated.  This one hadn't been, and was found using an older fiche catalogue!   

Clive