Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC2 'The Somme 1916: From Both Sides of the Wire'

little bob

I heard Peter speak at Uni of Herts last night.  Excellent presentation and enlightening on all sorts of levels.

It was clear Peter had to remove a lot of material for the BBC to make the series palatable (for non-historians) in the Centenary Year.  I haven't read this full thread, but many critcism aimed at Peter's material should be considered in the context that the British public isn't ready for the truth after 100 years.  I never saw gaps in the TV series, but it's possible they were there, due to Auntie's kindness to us all.

It is noted in Putty The Life & Letters of Lieutenant General Sir William Pulteny 1861-1941edited and compiled by Anthony Leask.

Helion books 2015    ISBN 978-1-90294-95-6.

FW was one of Putty's Divisional Commanders in 1915 and he is quoted as describing an attack "To take a bite out of the enemy's line".

Edited by squirrel

I have that book but can not locate the reference. Forestier-Walker was MGGS of 2nd Army in early 1915 and then went home on leave and never came back to that role. He returned to the western front in September 1915 as commander of 21st division. After the disaster of Loos and the use of the reserve he was sent home in Nov 15. It is apparent that Pulteney did not like Forestier-Walker from the quick skim reading I have done in the book where it references FW.

I will have further looks to find the reference.

Thanks

Arm