Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
themonsstar

Pte-Sgt 9081 Frederick Argyle 1st Bn Hampshire Regt

themonsstar

Hi all

Looking for some help for a friend his Grandfather was Frederick Argyle

He went to France with the 1st Bn Hampshire Regiment 23rd Aug 1914 as a Pte and at some point became a Sgt, He won the MM.

I've look on ancestry for any service records and can not find anything, I'm looking for a date he joined up (his service No 9081) and anything about his MM.

Thank you for any help.

clk

Hi,

His service number would appear to date from early 1912 - see here.

His MM is announced in the London Gazette here, and his Bar here.

Regards

Chris 

themonsstar

Chris thank you for this, I been looking for where his was from (Freshwater IOW).

Cheers Roy

Marc Thompson

Roy,

In the article below you will find a photograph of Royal Hampshire Regiment veteran Reginald Argyle, 91, with Sgt Johnson Beharry VC taken in August 2014. I believe that Reg is the son of Frederick Argyle.  Reg was born on St Thomas Street in Winchester in 1923 and fought with the 2nd Battalion, Hampshire Regiment and later with the Gloucestershire Regiment.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11383315.Tributes_made_to_First_World_War_heroes_at_official_opening_of_memorial_garden/

Frederick was born at Nether Wallop, near Andover, Hants and enlisted 02/04/1912 at Winchester age 17 years 6 months. He served post war (army number 5485186) and was discharged in October 1922. If you contact the Regimental Museum they will be able to give you chapter and verse including why he was reduced to the rank of Corporal prior to his discharge.

I think also that his son, Allan is the honorary secretary for the London branch and a standard-bearer.

Marc

butler

Pte Halsey 9080 enlisted 29.3.12, Pte Enticknap 9084 enlisted 9.4.12. Sgt Argyle would have enlisted between these dates

Marc Thompson

We can be specific about an enlistment date for Frederick Argyle of 02/04/1912 as this is taken direct from the new army number enlistment register.

Marc

Hi Roy, 

Reg Argyle is my grandad, have you found out the information you were looking for? 

Regards

Jamie Argyle 

Frederick Argyle is my great grandad, my father is named after him, I have asked my dad and he received the MM bar twice and after leaving the army after the 1st WW joined the RAF as a miltitary police officer. 

If you need further information please do get in touch 

Sam argyle

my grandad is reg argyle fredrick was my great grandad my father allan knows lots on frederick