Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergeant John Joseph Bell DCM

The Scorer

I visited Ovillers Military Cemetery last week, and saw something that I haven't seen before.

This is a grave bearing the legend "An Unknown British Soldier (of the) Cheshire Regiment" but which has attached to it a wreath bearing a name. The name is  Sergeant John Joseph Bell DCM, died 7th July 1916. Our family will always remember you, your loving grandson and family."

The cemetery contains 16 burials from the Cheshire Regiment, but Sergeant Bell DCM isn't one of them. He's remembered on the Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 3C and 4A - here are the details:

BELL, JOHN JOSEPH

Service No:  W/639
Date of Death:  07/07/1916
Regiment/Service:  Cheshire Regiment  No. 3 Coy. 13th Bn.
Awards:  DCM
Panel Reference:  Pier and Face 3 C and 4 A.
Memorial:  THIEPVAL MEMORIAL
Additional Information:  Son of John Joseph and Beatrice Bell; husband of Annie Harriet Bell, of 109, Norman St., Birkenhead.

I wondered on what basis the family have made this claim - if, indeed it is a claim. I didn't see any other "Unknown British Soldiers (of the) Cheshire Regiment", but that doesn't mean that there aren't any, of course. The Regiment lost 112 men on that day, 96 of whom were named, and sixteen were not; of the latter, there were three Sergeants.

Is it simply a case that the family have found an "Unknown British Soldier (of the) Cheshire Regiment" and laid their wreath in the hope that it is Sergeant Bell, or would they have had anything else to go on? Is this a case for the In From The Cold Project? (I would stress that I'm not suggesting it - it's just something that occurs to me. 

I don't have any connection with Sergeant Bell or his family, and I don't know who they are, but I'd be grateful for any advice on this, please - if only to set my mind at rest. Thank you.