Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Friends' Ambulance Unit

Gustywinds

On 15/01/2020 at 15:01, Cambridge said:

Hello

I have been researching my grandfather Douglas Gray's W.W.1. experience with SSA16 and found your picture via Google Images which led me here.

I was excited to see your picture as I am pretty certain he is pictured center back 6 from left and it looks like it is annotated Douglas - is it Gray?

I am curious to learn more about the image and why he would be pictured with the SSA13? 

I do have his papers and many photos at home and his Croix de Guerre (Montdidier 1918).

Thanks

Hello,

Thanks for your reply but the person pictured alongside my great uncle is Douglas Charles Morris Brooks. His brother Basil is two to the left of him. They were both sons of Alfred Brooks of Goldsmiths.

He and my great uncle seem to have been good friends and, after a period where they were away from the front lines at the palace of Compiegne which was used as a hospital at the time, they decided they weren’t doing their bit and left the FAU to join the RNAS (they would have had contact with them when based in Dunkirk). There was a waiting list for the RNAS so Douglas got his father to use influence and joined the RFC where he became a scout and was decorated with the Military Cross. His son served in the SOE in WW2 and was also decorated.

My great uncle joined the RNAS but was killed on a training flight from Dunkirk without ever seeing combat.

Thank you  for clarifying, it seemed strange that my grandfather would be there but he does look very similar to your great uncle.

However,  thanks to other’s posts I have been able to find out a lot more about SSA 18 (not 16 as I typed in error !). I am putting all the pieces together now so thanks to GWF - a great resource.

If any member has any more info on SSA 18 (which was attached to the French infantry ) at Verdun from 1916 and at the battle of Montdidier from March to August 1918 (when he won his  CDG ) would be welcomed .

0EAE3304-E4E5-4360-B133-A8FC7545257E.jpeg