Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thiepval Memorial Panorama

Cynthia

As a contributor to the Thiepval Research Centre proposed to open in 2004 (we hope!), I read the web site to keep up with the latest news. For those of you who have loved ones who are commemorated on Thiepval, Ken and Pam Linge are requesting photographs to include in a panorama to put faces to the names on the Memorial. These thoughts have always come to me when I look at those names: Who were these men? What did they look like? What made them unique? If you want to send a photograph, go to this site:

http://www.thiepval.org.uk/SHADOWS.htm

Click on the "Stop Press" section and scroll down, where you will see the particulars.

Since I am making one trip over in November, I am hoping I will be able to scrape up enough to return for the opening of the Centre, which seems projected for Summer 2004.

Cynthia

US Branch WFA gave them $1000 quite a while ago and before $ went to hell. We hear absolutely nothing from the Thiepval project about progress. I have checked the web site a few times also and really learn nothing.

Dear Paul and Chris,

Yes, I am disappointed, too, in the lack of progress, but I keep telling myself that it will all be worth it in the end if the vision they identified comes to pass. Originally I planned to visit this summer to be at the opening ceremonies, but when I realised it would not happen, I thought November was an excellent time to be in the UK to be at the Cenotaph. While I do not get much feedback from the group either, Clive Priestley has been very considerate and corresponded with me via letter and email. I hope I am not wrong in thinking this project will be a good thing eventually, although I have heard some words of dissension, particularly from some who live in the area. I was touched by the idea of the panorama, too, because I think photographs show the humanity of those on the Memorial, not just the slaughter.

Cynthia