Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Info on this famous photo!

Harvey H

Hi everyone, 

This photo is quite famous I believe ? My mum knows the woman with the original photograph, as her relative is the one on the far right, really badly wounded, she says everyone in that photo was patched up and sent back to the trenches, all of them were later killed, so the photographer sent a female relative the photo. She would like to know, if possible, exactly, or nearly, where it was taken. One question of my own, I guess that it's a German pow in the middle?

image.jpeg

Dear Harvey

The soldier in the centre has previously been identified as Private Pizey of the Royal Berkshire Regiment. We believe he came from Swindon and survived the war. 

Regards

Springer

oh right, thank you Springer for the info mate, I'll let her know ?

I doubt if you connection owns the 'original' - is it not an IWM picture?

I don't know but it's here great great uncle on the far right, and she says it was sent to his wife upon his death.

Hi Harvey

Can we put a name to the face?

I'm sure that if identified there will be a forum pal who is in the process of carrying out some research that would benefit.

Thanks John

I'll get ya than name in a few, be right back!

Q800 at IWM. By Ernest Brooks.

Battle of Bazentin Ridge. Five British and German walking wounded, injured in their arms and legs, on the way to a dressing station near Bernafay Wood, 19th July 1916.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205193912

They have 3 taken in a sequence but only very slight (if any) differences.

TEW

31 minutes ago, TEW said:

Q800 at IWM. By Ernest Brooks.

Battle of Bazentin Ridge. Five British and German walking wounded, injured in their arms and legs, on the way to a dressing station near Bernafay Wood, 19th July 1916.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205193912

They have 3 taken in a sequence but only very slight (if any) differences.

TEW

Yes.

They're three prints from the same  negative.

The only differences are some slight cropping discrepancies.

10 hours ago, Harvey H said:

My mum knows the woman with the original photograph

Harvey, perhaps a scan of this photograph would settle whether it's an original print or not.

Kath.

11 hours ago, springer said:

The soldier in the centre has previously been identified as Private Pizey of the Royal Berkshire Regiment. We believe he came from Swindon and survived the war. 

Is that Pizzey with two Z[s and has the man a forename

Regards Ray

Cheers for the feedback, I do not know whether the photo she has is the original, just taking her word for it ?

I was recently up near Barnafay! Went over for the Somme anniversary!

Harvey - can you confirm your great grandad's name and unit etc. it would be good if you can also find a family photograph of him that proves what your mother says is correct. I am not doubling her belief, but narratives can be confused in the telling and repetition, and  some solid  evidence would prove the identity beyond doubt.  

Ancestry has MICS for three PIZZEYS in the Royal berkshire Regiment., all privates, Edward James and John. John is marked as killed on his MIC.

Keith

Hi,

I think that the reference to Piz(z)ey is irrelevant to what Harvey is saying. Harvey (a keen relative newcomer to the forum, aged 15) seems to be suggesting that a lady his mother knows can identify the previously unidentified man on the far right of the photo, as her relative.

Harvey - please can you pursue this as much as you can? Any details that you can provide such as how the lady knows it's her relative - his name unit, his number. etc may be ground breaking, and may help Pals to try to research him/the photo further. For me the photo is "iconic" in that in the aftermath of the brutalities of engagement, it shows an example of the compassion of ordinary men towards each other.

Regards

Chris 

I did wonder who would own Brooks' photos at the time. IWM have some now as do National Library of Scotland. As 'Official Photographer' were his photos immediately the property of the WO?

Seems reasonable that when taking photos like this that Brooks would get requests for a copy.

No Royal Berks Regt. Pizzeys in Casualty lists for 1916. 7593 in 1914 and 8355 in 1915. Perhaps he's actually helping other wounded and not injured himself.

Anyone notice the marks on the 2 Brodies on left in background. Divisional??

TEW

The subject of this thread, as I understand it, is the identity of the chap on the extreme left with a knee/leg wound and holding a stave to help him walk, similar to the one the Grman PoW is using.

If the man in the centre is this Private Pizzey of the Royal Berkshires, and the chap he is helping is a Pioneer, and the location is Bernafay Wood on 19 July 1916, does all that help identify potential units in that sector of the Somme?

Of course, if Harvey can supply the identity of the man related to the woman his mum knows, that may help piece together more info about the photo.

As to them being "patched up and sent back to the trenches where they "all" later died" is a bit unlikely, in that how would anyone know if they all died? 

What I'm sure was meant is that they were all treated at the nearby Dressing Station and after recovering, went back to the Front, where possible, and where later some were subsequently killed, which happened to practically all wounded after a major attack, being treated and returned to their units when fit.

From what little I can find, the major fighting on 19th was around Delville Wood

Fighting continued in Delville Wood all day. 53 Bde (18th Div) had been sent to reinforce 9th Div. 8th Norfolks attacked from south west of Longueval at 7am and occupied the southern part of Delville Wood. The 10th Essex, 6th Royal Berkshire Regt and 8th Suffolks were sent to the attack with little success.

http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com/showthread.php?9058-The-Somme-Day-by-Day

Whilst it's not too far from Delville, in Somme term, 1,000 yards could be days away...

I think the OP's man is the one on the right, multiple wounds, blackened face and torn jacket.

Location and date comes from IWM caption which aren't always 100% correct. Have they been patched up at a RAP or WWCP and are now on foot to an ADS/MDS?

I'd suspect that the man on the right would make it into the WO casualty list, so it's just a question of getting his name and then being able to place him in that area in that time frame.

TEW

Right, listen up lads!!!!

I have the all important info:

Edmund Dillamore

11Btn Lancs Fusiliers

3/4351

Date of death: 7/6/1917

Buried at: St Quentins Cabaret, Belgium

He's the one on the far right.

Its her Great Great Uncle, and by pure chance I've seemed to walk straight into some great info on the Somme, but by pure chance, it's not like I even did any digging, but I'm happy that this info will shed some light on this poignant photo from the Somme and I'm glad I've been apart of it. Right, research away boys, but any info found please post back on this thread, that's all I ask!

On WO casualty list, date 25/8/1916. Seems like a promising start.

Also has one of those 'floating' sheets indexed on FMP probably a typed up list of injured. Can't access at present.

TEW

The info regarding Private Pizzey in the centre came from his family. [Accepting they might not be correct]. Private 7593 John Thomas Pizzey who was born in Sudbury in 1890, joining the Royal Berkshire Regiment in 1904. By 1911 he completed his service with the Colours and returned to civilian life, taking up his occupation as a labourer and getting married. On the outbreak of war, he was recalled to the Colours and went to France on 31 August 1914. When he went to France he joined the 1st Battalion. We do not know what battalion he was with in July 16, although as indicated above the 6th look like a good bet. I am trying to dig out some old Comms [From some time ago] to firm up any info. As already referred to above the soldier on his left has a collar dog indicating he was in a labour Battalion [The Berkshires had three labour battalions and none were in this area]. I cannot decipher the material on the helmets of the uninjured soldiers to the rear, but officers of the 6th Battalion R/Berks did at some point have the China Dragon badge painted onto the hessian of their helmets.

Regards

Springer 

The family acquired it after Edmunds mother saw it in the papers and it was sent to them. 

He was awarded the 1914-15 star, victory medal and war medal, so pip, squeak and Wilfred.

He was a L/Cpl

Date of entry to the front was 17.7.15.

I have downloaded his MIC but it's too big to upload!

Hi All

Can we clarify is it Edward or Edmund, the CWGC has him down as Edmund on their database.

John