Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

FORENVILLE Military Cemetery

Retired Dave

My family have visited Forenville and its cemetery on two occasions to remember my grandfather (2nd Lt  George Harris B Company 17th Royal Fusiliers)  who fought in the battle on 8 October 1918 and was awarded the MC. He survived the war and lived until old age but we looked at the graves in the cemetery, especially those of the 17th Fusiliers, and thought of their sacrifice.

We would like to return this October

Hello Huw, Thank you for your message. You will of course be most welcome. I am slowly getting in touch with family of the fallen in Forenville. As I posted a few weeks back the local community are planning what sounds like a very fitting commemoration which will be for those who fought and survived just as much as those who fell. I have yet to hear back from the local Major on the full details but will post them at this thread when I do ( and probably open a new thread as well). The main event for the village will likely be on the Sunday 7th October 2018. My family and I and a number of others will also be at the cemetery on the Monday 8th as I always promised myself I would.

I will be there for the grandfather I never knew but just as much for my lovely Gran who was a widow 64 years and for my Mum who was born 7 months after his death. He had only been back in France three weeks having been wounded a number of times including the Somme.

Kindest regards

Dave

Hello Huw - hope you see this.

Yesterday I had contact with the niece of a young private (19 years) in 17th Bn Royal Fusiliers who fell on the 8th October 1918 and is buried at Forenville. She lives in Australia and is hoping to come for the Centenary Commemoration in October together with her daughter. Another success for Ancestry Family Trees.

Kind regards

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dave - Thank you for the update. My brother, sister and I will definitely be at the commemorations on the 7th and 8th October and it will be interesting to meet with others who shared, through their families, the memories of the battle.

Huw

Hi Huw,

Great to hear that you and your brother and sister will be there with us. I have found another two families over the weekend who now intend to come to Cambrai.

I have heard this morning that the commemoration held by the community of Serranvillers-Forenville will be on SUNDAY 7th OCTOBER 2018. I will publish more details on the order of events as I get them, eventually with a new thread on this centenary section as well as on this old one

One of the things that has struck me in my quest to arrange this centenary commemoration has been how little many families know of the sacrifices made by their "grand" generation. Some of the information has been a revelation to some.

As I am sure you are aware the people in that part of France have been brought-up to appreciate those sacrifices, much more so than us Brits, as they actually had the fighting over their ground for 4 years.

I am looking forward to the day now.

Kind regards

Dave

• 3 months later...

PLEASE NOTE THAT I HAVE OPENED A NEW TOPIC FOR THIS EVENT TODAY