Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

174th Siege Battery RGA

grahamcaine

Hi. I'm looking for information regarding the 174th Siege Royal Garrison Artillery. For example, when they formed and where they were posted throughout the Great War. My Great-Grandfather Robert Hamilton (95604) served as a Gunner from 17/01/16 and survived the Great War. He died in 1966 before I was born and I was wondering if anyone had information about his service in the Great War or the regiment he was attached to. Or if anyone could refer to other relevant sources. I have his service record and one photograph. Many thanks, Graham.

Hi Graham, I suggest you contact Dick Flory through this Forum, his log in name is rflory. He is an expert on Artillery and helped me significantly with my reserach on my Great Grandfather. Grandpop was in the 330th Royal Field Artillery and Dick was able to give me a detailed account of the movements of that unit. Best of luck with your research. Regards Aaron.

Thanks Aaron - I appreciate the response. I have e-mailed Dick Flory to ask his advice - hopefully he can be of assistance! Thanks again.

Thanks also to Roop - the National Archives are in Kew aren't they? I'm currently living in Boston, Massachusetts so getting there will be a problem. I think I may post an ad asking if someone can get me a copy of the regiment war diary if they are going down there anytime soon - otherwise I'll try and take a trip down there myself the next time I'm back in Blighty. Thanks again for your response and hopefully I'll soon be able to learn a little bit about what my great-grandfather went through all those years ago. Take care, Graham.

Graham wrote:

Hi. I'm looking for information regarding the 174th Siege Royal Garrison Artillery. For example, when they formed and where they were posted throughout the Great War.

Graham: 174th Siege Battery went out to the Western Front on 7 Oct 16 armed with four 6" Howitzers (26 cwt) and on 11 Oct 16 joined 47 Heavy Artillery Group (HAG). It moved to 8 HAG on 17 Oct 16; to 46 HAG on 8 Jan 17 and back to 8 HAG on 23 Jan 17; then back to 46 HAG on 28 Jan 17; to 56 HAG on 3 Feb 17 and back to 46 HAG on 20 Mar 17; to 58 HAG on 2 Apr 17; to 66 HAG on 16 May 17; to 45 HAG on 21 May 17 and back to 46 HAG on 22 Jun 17; to 79 HAG on 18 Dec 17 and to 72 Brigade, RGA on 28 Jan 18. It rejoined 79 Brigade, RGA on 26 Feb 18 and on the next day was made up to 6 guns with the addition of one section from 448 Siege Battery, RGA. It served the rest of the war with 79 Bde, RGA.

Regards. Dick Flory

Graham,

I'm currently living in Boston, Massachusetts so getting there will be a problem.

Not so!! Click the link to 174SB diary I provided above.

Then go to SHOP in top bar. Then from there you can order documents online and sit back chuffed to bits with yourself.

Roop