Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Loos casualties arriving in Perth still covered in mud

Skipman

A report in the Perthshire Advertiser 2/10/1915 tells that on Thursday the 30/9/1915 " Wounded arrive in Perth from Loos. All told the batch numbered 100 Most of the heroes were mud-begrimed from head to foot and sorely in need of a wash. They had come straight from the front and quite a number still wore their gas helmets. Men from 2nd, 11th and 12th Royal Scots; 1st RSF; 1st KOSB; 9th SR; 1st & 8th Black Watch; 2nd, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th HLI; etc. Some sent to VAD Hospital, some to Perth Royal Infirmary. "

Is it likely that men injured at the  battle of Loos would still be filthy and wearing gas helmets when they arrived in Perth 5 days later?

Mike

3 minutes ago, Skipman said:

A report in the Perthshire Advertiser 2/10/1915 tells that on Thursday the 30/9/1915 " Wounded arrive in Perth from Loos. All told the batch numbered 100 Most of the heroes were mud-begrimed from head to foot and sorely in need of a wash. They had come straight from the front and quite a number still wore their gas helmets. Men from 2nd, 11th and 12th Royal Scots; 1st RSF; 1st KOSB; 9th SR; 1st & 8th Black Watch; 2nd, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th HLI; etc. Some sent to VAD Hospital, some to Perth Royal Infirmary. "

Is it likely that men injured at the  battle of Loos would still be filthy and wearing gas helmets when they arrived in Perth 5 days later?

Mike

I supposes 'wore' as in carrying the respirator with them - possible, I suppose.

I also suppose that if they'd been on the move and not had time to get clean uniforms then they could still be dirty but I can't imagine they'd still be covered bodily in mud. Maybe though they'd only had time along the way for a quick wash.

Craig

Probably had snow on their boots as well.

2nd Royal Scots and 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers (and possibly other battalions mentioned? -sorry I haven't the time to check) weren't at Loos - they were further north at Ypres in late Sept/early Oct 1915, so I wonder how accurate the article is. I sure that details can't have been hurriedly made up, because journalists are honourable people who don't do that sort of thing......

William

8 hours ago, WilliamRev said:

2nd Royal Scots and 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers (and possibly other battalions mentioned? -sorry I haven't the time to check) weren't at Loos - they were further north at Ypres in late Sept/early Oct 1915, so I wonder how accurate the article is. I sure that details can't have been hurriedly made up, because journalists are honourable people who don't do that sort of thing......

William

All the regiments listed in the article were present on the day, as were many of the battalions mentioned, including the 11th and 12 Royal Scots, 8th Black Watch, 9th Scottish Rifles, 9th, 10th, 11th HLI. Not 100% accurate but not a bad effort I would have thought.

Mike

Obviously Blighty wounds but not serious enough to have had surgery performed in France & Flanders. Given the numbers of wounded it was probably decided that they could wait a few days for definitive treatment. Hence still being in their uniforms. Although it states 'wounded' but they could also have included gassed and shell shock cases. They were lucky to get on a train to Scotland being from Scottish regiments. As the war progressed and casualty numbers grew the train embarkation officer at the UK ports could not and did not always get people on trains heading into the direction of hospitals near their homes and filled the trains with casualties regardless of where they came from.

3 hours ago, Skipman said:

All the regiments listed in the article were present on the day, as were many of the battalions mentioned, including the 11th and 12 Royal Scots, 8th Black Watch, 9th Scottish Rifles, 9th, 10th, 11th HLI. Not 100% accurate but not a bad effort I would have thought.

Mike

In fact although at Ypres (Sanctuary Wood area), both 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers and 2nd Royal Scots did suffer heavy casualties in heavy fighting 25/26 Sept 1915, so some of these probably arrived back in Scotland at the same time.

William

Probably "walking wounded" who had had their wounds cleaned and dressed and evacuated asap from the battle area while the more serious cases were attended to in the CCs's.

Reminds me of this famous photo of wounded from Loos.

loos.jpg

Is the 5th man from the left wearing his gas helmet rolled up on his head? Doesn't look like the other headgear on the kilted troops. 

50 minutes ago, Loader said:

Is the 5th man from the left wearing his gas helmet rolled up on his head? Doesn't look like the other headgear on the kilted troops. 

Yes, I believe he is.

On 05/07/2016 at 20:36, Skipman said:

Mike

I'd imagine they would still be in the same uniform and unwashed.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the answer is probably yes , From VAD records wounded were put trains with out even any water or food let alone a change of clothes .  VAD detatchments would provide oranges (when available) to wounded troops departing ports. VAD units ran feeding / comfort stations at all the major rail inter changses  , Birmingham (st Johns VAD)  Manchester (Red Cross VAD) Feeding ,watering and redressing up to 1500 personel a day .