Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Women in the War

Guest Kewl147

Well, im doing a project for my US history class and none of the 7 website i have been to have had anything about women in the war, can you help me get a general explination for women in WW1

Hi there. It's odd that you're doing a piece on women in WWI as I am doing a piece of coursework on this subject aswell. I'm in the UK and have found many items that have a lot of Information on this subject. Ther is a book by an old english reporter called kate Adie, it's title is From Corsets to Camouflage. If You have any information that could help me please post this. I do have some other things that will help that I can Scan in and post as an image here. Are you doing a piece solely on US Women? Or are you merely explaining that most of your history class is on us history, if so than you are in the uk as well. :ph34r:

Si

thanks for the help, i get what i need, and yes im from US is this a UK forum?

Why yes, old man, although we have many members from across the world.

Are you looking for an overall view, or are you approaching this from a specific slant?

Richard

• 1 month later...

A great reference on this subject is: "Women at War 1914-1918", by Arthur Marwick, published by Fontana Paperbacks for the Imperial War Museum (London) in 1977. It is mostly covering the United Kingdom, but is a very good overview of the whole subject. You may be able to get it via interlibrary loan, or you could see if the Imperial War Museum still has it available. Good luck. Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Biplane pilot

Check Thomas Fleming's "Illusion of Victory" which contains graphic descriptions of what some nurses experienced in France during 1918.