Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Military Chest Magazine

Gardenerbill

I have a photocopy of a page from the Military Chest magazine about my Great Uncle Thomas Hodgson, can anyone tell me where I might find copies of this magazine? There is one copy for sale on Ebay, but internet searches otherwise draw a blank.

According to copac.jisc.ac.uk there is a complete run (1982-1989) at:-

National Archives Library 

Imperial War Museum 

Leeds University Library 

and the six copyright deposit libraries (Bodleian, Cambridge, British Library, National Library of Wales, ditto Scotland, Trinity College Dublin).

That doesn't mean nowhere else has it, just that other UK copies would have to be sought library by library. Which would be long-winded.

sJ 

PS: if you happened to live near Aldershot I would recommend the Military Collection in the public library. Failing that, is there a regimental museum near you?

Thanks Jane 

I live in Manchester so I will try Central library then the various Military museums of which there are several in the area.

I have a fairly decent run of Military Chest. Does the photocopy you have give any indication of the issue number, page number or title of the article?

I think that I just found the item.  It is in The Military Chest, Vol. 4, No. 3 (May/June 1985) and is part of the "Medal Box" which is a feature in each issue that covers auction and dealer's lists.  If you have a photocopy of page 57 with the two photos of Hodgson that is the totality of what is written about Hodgson in that article.  If you wish a digital copy of the article PM me your email address.

Dick Flory

Thanks Dick,

Yes that sounds like the one, I Just tried a PM but it's not working at the moment I will try again later. The family must have sold the medals it would be good to try and trace the current owners.

On 04/07/2016 at 23:55, rflory said:

I think that I just found the item.  It is in The Military Chest, Vol. 4, No. 3 (May/June 1985) and is part of the "Medal Box" which is a feature in each issue that covers auction and dealer's lists.  If you have a photocopy of page 57 with the two photos of Hodgson that is the totality of what is written about Hodgson in that article.  If you wish a digital copy of the article PM me your email address.

Dick Flory

Dick I still can't send a PM but one of the mods (Alan Curragh) has kindly offered to pass my email address to you. It is definitely the page with the two pictures of Thomas Hodgson, my copy is a copy of a copy of a copy and therefore very poor quality, please can you send me a digital version and thank you in advance. Is there any indication as to who wrote the article?

Mark:  I received Alan's message with your email address and will send you digital copies of the article about Hodgson.   The article was written by Ian McInnes, and is in a regular column in the magazine that covers medals for sale on auction house and dealer lists. 

Regards, Dick Flory

Thanks to the help from Dick Flory, I now have a higher quality full copy of the article. The article mentioned the northern branch of the OMRS, a qucik google search revealed this to be The Orders and Medals Research Society, I have contacted the Secretary via the website and she has passed my message to Ian McInnes. I now wait fingers crossed for him to contact me.

• 3 years later...
On 05/07/2016 at 01:30, rflory said:

I have a fairly decent run of Military Chest. Does the photocopy you have give any indication of the issue number, page number or title of the article?

Hello.  I know your post is three years old but it came up when I was looking for back issues of The Military Chest magazine.  I lost all the issues I had in a basement flood and am interested in finding any issues I can.  Do you know how many issues there were in total?  When did the magazine fold?  Thank you

1 hour ago, alby502 said:

Hello.  I know your post is three years old but it came up when I was looking for back issues of The Military Chest magazine.  I lost all the issues I had in a basement flood and am interested in finding any issues I can.  Do you know how many issues there were in total?  When did the magazine fold?  Thank you

The magazine ran from 1982 to 1989, see #2.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello.  I had posted a question on this forum about the Military Chest magazine.  I now have all the issues but one, Vol 5 #3.  Would any of you have a copy they'd be willing to part with or be willing to make a copy of it for me?  I will be more than happy to pay for a copy or an original.

Thank you.

If nobody else has a solution it may be worth contacting the Bodleian Library's Imaging Services - they hold it under the copyright deposit rules:  https://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/using/copy/imaging_services

sJ