Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC Diaries

Andy Twynam

Hello, I am a complete research novice so please forgive me if I use the wrong terminology.

The Ancestry website has many many regimental diaries available to look at.  When I look for RAMC diaries it gives me a choice of over 60 "Divisions" which I assume to be the correct word for the separate units of RAMC (???)

My basic question is that, having just found out that a relative's service with RAMC took him to the Balkans theatre-of-war in December 1915, is that in itself sufficient information to establish which "Division" of RAMC he may have been with, so that I can read the appropriate diary ?  I expect the answer will be no, but I thought it was worth asking.

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Andy, a Division was a formation that included infantry, artillery, engineers, transport, etc. It included three Field Ambulances of the RAMC. Other types of RAMC "unit" were Casualty Clearing Stations and Base Hospitals. Many RAMC men were attached to other types of unit, such as the battalions of the infantry. To find the appropriate war diary it will be important for you to determine your relative's unit(s) first.

If you give us a few more details, it is possible that members here can help.

thank you very much Chris Baker.  Unfortunately I don't know the relative's unit.  It was kindly suggested to me yesterday on this forum that by finding the service records of other RAMC men who entered the same theatre on the same day, this might help me, but I have been unsuccesful in that direction.

anyway, the details are

Pte. 9799 Charles Thomas Twynam (sometimes mis-spelt TWYMAN) (born 15/5/1894) entered Balkans theatre 7 December 1915.

He was born and lived in South Lambeth, London, if that is relevant to which unit he might be attached to.

I appreciate it is a bit much to expect people to do detailed free research for me, but if there are any suggestions or pointers to other websites that can be recommended this would be very helpful, thank you.

Andy

I do not think the Balkans theatre war diaries are on line yet so you may have to go and view them at TNA.

Pete

Some useful background is available HERE.  Link will open up as an online reader. There is an option to download a pdf version which I think is a better way to go.

Chapters 2, 3 and 4 are based on Macedonia and from those you should get an idea of which divisions/ hospitals and CCS were operating. I had a quick scan through and see 5 Divisons, 6 CCSs and 4 hospitals present, although as some were based in Salonica in Dec 1915 I think those can be eliminated.

Some of the divisions went direct from England to the Balkans while others embarked from France. He may of course have been a late entry for his division or part of an advance party. As Chris said, he could be part of a CCS or Hospital or one of the 15ish Field ambulances & 5 sanitation units.

I checked the other men with same date of entry on medal roll and found no service records to help ID his unit.

Finding MICs to infantry with same date of entry code and date might give a clue to his unit but not a quick task.

TEW

I did wonder if his arrival in that theatre was connected to the Battle of Kosturino 6/12/15. My knowledge of this theatre is poor to say the least but it may be that he was already placed in Salonica or Lemnos etc. Don't think these were theatres of war so arrival there didn't count for medal dates of entry. It would then be just a hop into Macedonia where the criteria and date on MIC was fulfilled.

A bit of googling shows my geography may be just as poor, he may even have been serving in one of the CCSs near Lake Dorian but on the Greek side.

The divisions you find mentioned in Medical History can be checked out on Long Long Trail site;

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/

I see there are some London based field ambulance units involved.

TEW