Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Fusiliers in the Great War

stu

I've already thanked Stu privately for scans from his regimental history but would also like to thank him here for his help. Very much appreciated.

All the best

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Was wondering if this Thread might be able to help :)

I am trying to find out the war service of Wilfrid Pittam details as below.

I have attached his original Grave Wooden Cross picture taken in the 1920's, which I understand was visited by his family.

Does anyone have any information on the 10th Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers and in particular there movements on the day he was killed in action. I don't know the whereabouts of his medals unfortunately.

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Woody

WILFRID PITTAM b. 19 Sep 1895 d. 9 Mar 1918

Wilfred Pittam (b.1895) Worked in Hunters Grocers in High Street Swadlincote. Left Swadlincote and moved to Leamington, possibly to a branch of Hunters. Later enlisted in the army, exact date unknown. First mother Mary Ann knew of this was when she received his belongings, which he had sent to his parents address. Served in the 10th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers, as Sergeant G/1796. Killed in action on 9th March 1918 in Belgium. Buried in Plot 1, Row F, Grave 31 in Birr Cross Roads Cemetery, Zillebeke, Belgium.

post-16-1104866876.jpg

Hi Stu,

Have a look up request please for Royal Fusiliers.

Thanks in advance for this.

Im interested in the 26th bn Royal Fusiliers (124th Brigade 41st Division) between the dates of 17th - 26th August 1918.

Thanks Stu, really appreciate your help here.

Best regards Aaron Nelson.

Hi Woody,

I'm sorry for the delay in my reply,I've been very busy.

There is only one reference to the 10th battalion around the date of Sgt Pittams death,its possible he died of wounds after this action.

I've scanned the relevent pages but I can't get them small enough to post here,so if you can PM me with your email address I'll send it to you.

Regards.

Stu

Hi Stu

Ive got a hugely long shot to ask about, so no prob if its too difficult to locate, but Im struggling with a family pic of an RF, taken Sept 1916.

Hes either a Pte Hack born Heath & Reach, Bedfordshire or Pte Kendall born Kettering, Northants. Wont confuse the issue anymore here, but IF theres anything, Id be extremely grateful to you!

Thanks very much

Steve

Hi Aaron,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I'm afraid there is no reference to the 26th battalion for the dates you have requested.

The only other mention around that time says that they were in the line at Kemmel Hill on the 29th August,and on the 31st at 10.30am C and D companies advanced down the eastern slopes after the enemy were seen to be retiring.they were relieved on the 1st September.

Hope this helps.

Stu

Hi Stu,

Thanks for that. although its not much, it does confirm there location to me, which definaelty helps.

If you dont mind Ive got one other look up for the Royal Fusiliers.

Can you also check location and activities of 4th Battalion who were attached to 3rd Division in between the dates of 13 - 17 June 1918?

What ever info you can supply would be grateful for.

Best regards Aaron Nelson.

Hi Steve,

There is nothing on Pte Kendall or Pte Hack,but there is an RSM Hack(1st Battalion) who was awarded the MC for rescuing wounded on 21/8/16,perhaps a relative?

Regards.

Stu

Hi Steve,

There is nothing on Pte Kendall or Pte Hack,but there is an RSM Hack(1st Battalion) who was awarded the MC for rescuing wounded on 21/8/16,perhaps a relative?

Regards.

Stu

Thanks Stu

RSM Hack may be a relative, but I dont suppose he'd be the Pte in my 'uncertain' photo. He looks a bit frightened bless him.

Could I trouble you for any other additional bits you may have on the RSM mate? Theres loads of Hack males that are contenders, & i havent got to them all yet :rolleyes: .

Once again Stu, thank you for your time B)

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Stu

Could you do a look up - its for the 4th Battn on or around the 18th Sept 1918.

I am researching a PTE ISSAC FELSTEAD G/48119 from my local Stansted War Memorial.

Thanks

Glyn

• 5 months later...

Stu,

I wonder if you could help me with information about these units and dates.

1. 17th Bn. Royal Fusiliers ( I read is was called the "ARTS & CRAFTS" do you know why?) on and around 28/04/1917 the time of the ARRAS attacks - 60976 Leonard Louis Foley KIA on this day.

2. 11th BN. Royal Fusiliers on and around 13/11/1917 - 10390 Christopher Mathews KIA on this day.

3. 4th Bn. Royal Fusiliers on and around 283/03/1918 - 20524 Frederick Matthews KIA on this day.

Many thanks,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the delay in my reply,I have not got the book to hand at present,I will do the look -ups as soon as possible.

Regards.

Stu

Hi Chris,

My scanner is not working at the moment,so unfortunately I can not copy the text,but the following is quotes from the book

The 17th R.F. are refered to as the"Empire" battalion in the book,I think that it might have been the Middlesex that had an Arts and Crafts battalion.

The only mention of the 17th battalion around the date you requested is on the 29/4/17,when they were in support of the 24th R.F. at Oppy Wood.

The 11th R.F. were in positions south of Houthulst Forest for a spell from the 10/11/17,the ground was very badly waterlogged and drowning in shell holes strongly inpregnated with Yellow Cross gas was a real risk.There was a considerable amount of gas shell expended on this area during this tour,they had 21 gassed and a further 13 wounded including Lt Col Sulman.(no mention of numbers killed)

On the 28/3/18 the 4th R.F. were in involved in a heavy battle,the repeated efforts,made in great force by a determined enemy to break through the left of the 3rd Division were repulsed time and time again,and where ground had to be yeilded to maintain an unbroken line,every foot was contested with a resolution which can hardly have been surpassed in the annals of the British Army.Had the 3rd Division not maintained the unbroken front,it is not difficult to believe that the enemy could have failed to attain his objective,the capture of Arras.

X company was ordered up to the green line at 9.40 am to occupy positions vacated by Z company.The 9th Brigade lay below Neuville-Vitasse,and early in the battle the brigades on both sides had been driven back.Z company had reached the support line,only to find it already gravely prejudiced and under heavy attack.Capt Lord M.C. formed a defensive flank for the brigade with the remainder of the 1st Northumberland Fus and the 13th Kings,they held the position against all attacks until 5.00pm,the line no longer tenable,they withdrew to Neuville-Vitasse,which now became the front line.

The remaining platoons of W company were sent to the left flank to try to fill any gaps between the battalion and the 76th brigade.But this brigade was drive out of Neuville-Vitasse and W company could not gain contact with them.Z company were then sent to form a defensive flank west of the village,taking up position in shell holes they successfully closed the gap and enabled the division to present an organised front once more.The attack had been checked,and on this sector of the front no further appreciable change took place.

During the March fighting the battalion had 13 officers and 193 O.R. casualties.

Unfortunatelythe book rarely mentions O.R.s,and none of the men you asked for are listed.

I hope this info is of use.

Regards.

Stu

Stu,

Many many thanks for taking the time to type all this information out for me. Your are right about the name of the 17th RF being the "Empire Battalion", I got my lines crossed there. I didn't really expect O.Rs. to be mentioned by name, but the extra detail is good to have.

Regards,

Chris.

• 1 month later...

Stu,

Wonder if you can throw any light on the fate of these men.

F. E. Milledge, Lance Corporal 49526, 13th Bn. Royal Fusiliers, KIA 17/01/1917, GUARDS CEMETERY, WINDY CORNER, CUINCHY

A. F. Muggeridge, Private 67698, 2nd Bn. Royal Fusiliers, DOW 06/09/1918, LONGUENESSE (ST. OMER) SOUVENIR CEMETERY

J.Risley, Private 52779, 12th Bn. Royal Fusiliers, KIA 10/02/1917, PHILOSOPHE BRITISH CEMETERY, MAZINGARBE

F. C. Rodhouse, Private L/13799, 1st Bn. Royal Fusiliers, KIA 11/10/1918, DOW DELSAUX FARM CEMETERY, BEUGNY

Thanks,

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...
Stu,

F. E. Milledge, Lance Corporal 49526, 13th Bn. Royal Fusiliers, KIA 17/01/1917, GUARDS CEMETERY, WINDY CORNER, CUINCHY

A. F. Muggeridge, Private 67698, 2nd Bn. Royal Fusiliers, DOW 06/09/1918, LONGUENESSE (ST. OMER) SOUVENIR CEMETERY 

J.Risley, Private 52779, 12th Bn. Royal Fusiliers, KIA 10/02/1917, PHILOSOPHE BRITISH CEMETERY, MAZINGARBE

F. C. Rodhouse, Private L/13799, 1st Bn. Royal Fusiliers, KIA 11/10/1918, DOW DELSAUX FARM CEMETERY, BEUGNY

Thanks,

Chris.

Chris,

Sorry for the delay,I have been so busy since returning from my hols that I have not had the chance to do your look ups yet,I will hopefully get them done soon and post them as soon as possible.

Regards. Stu

Hi Stu,

Not sure if the book would cover these regiments, but if they do would be grateful for lookups on:-

26th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) for 18/6/16 & 14/12/16

2nd (City of London) Battalion (Royal Fusiliers) - 17/09/16

Grateful for any assistance

Cheers

James

Stu,

Thanks,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

I sorry for the delay,but I've mananged at last to get round to your request.

There is no mention for either the 13th battalion or the 2nd battalion on or around the dates you requested.

The 12th battalion are mentioned as being involved in an elaborate trench raid with the 8th Buffs in broad daylight on the 26/1/17.The German front and support lines were reached,dug-outs and machine gun emplacements were bombed and many Germans killed with 16 being taken prisoner.

All the R.F officers involved were wounded along with 24 O.R.s casualties.

The 1st battalion made an attack on 11/10/18 at Rieux,they were caught heavily by the enemy barrage whilst assembling.Heavy machine gun fire held up the advance with heavy loss before reaching their first objective,a German tank also made an apperance and fired a few shots before disapearing.During the night patrols found that the enemy had since retired.

There was 9 officer and 125 O.R.s casualties for this action.

There is no mention of any of the men you asked for.

I hope this info is of help to you,once again sorry for the delay.

Stu