Royal Fusiliers in the Great War

stu

Thanks Stu,

Your help is much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Mark

post-1036-1173225629.png

Hi Mark,

I can't find anything in the book about him,but I found this on the Times archive(13/6/16) that might be of interest.

Regards.

Stuart

Hi Stu

Could you please do a look up for me - George Boreham number 40863 is his name. He enlisted late December 1915 in the 36th Royal Fusiliers.

If possible could you tell me anything about the 36th as well.

Greatful thanks.

Rory

• 4 months later...
I have a copy of the Royal Fusiliers in the Great War by H.C. O'Neil,if anyone needs a look up please ask.

Stu

hi stu,new to all this my gt uncle was a royal fusilier ambrose lloyd ,i think he was in the 38th 39th 41st jewish squad buried in jerusalem 20/10/1918 oh and he was a lance corporal,would love some more info,thanks julie

• 1 month later...

Hiya

Captain P W Barrington-Foote & J Titcombe

2 names that have cropped up during my research, any assistance gratefully recieved

regards

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stu

I am researching my Old School War Memorial, William Hulmes Grammar School, Manchester and have the following Royal Fusiliers, 5 of whom died on the same day, I think at High Wood. Any information from the Royal Fusiliers in the Great War relating to the events leading up to their deaths would be greatly appreciated.

Date of Death.........Bn.............Name.......Age..Rank....No.......Commemorated/Buried

1915-03-20 Royal Fusiliers 20th Jones I M 17 Private 5137 Manchester Southern Cemetery

1916-01-23 Royal Fusiliers 21st Gresty J 25 Private 4065 Cambrin Churchyard Extension

1916-05-03 Royal Fusiliers 20th Cox F R 25 Serjeant PS/4659 Cambrin Churchyard Extension

1916-07-20 Royal Fusiliers 20th Elliott G A L/Cpl 8249 Thiepval Memorial

1916-07-20 Royal Fusiliers 20th Shorrocks E 41 Serjeant 5626 Thiepval Memorial

1916-07-20 Royal Fusiliers 20th "A" Coy Williamson E 22 Sergeant 5943 Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval

1916-07-20 Royal Fusiliers 20th "A" Coy Buckland H 30 L/Cpl 4572 Bouzincourt Ridge Cemetery, Albert

1916-07-20 Royal Fusiliers 20th "A" Coy Budge H E U 23 L/Cpl Signaller 4584 Thiepval Memorial

1917-11-20 Royal Fusiliers 09th Sandiford F G 23 L/Cpl PS/5577 Tincourt New British Cemetery, Somme

1918-04-22 Royal Fusiliers 02nd Hurst J H 26 Private PS/5101 Wimeraux Communal Cemetery

Many thanks.

Regards

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Stu

I wonder if you could look up my grandfather who was in the Royal fusiliers his name was Albert Henry Burt number SPR4416 I think he was in the sportsmans battalion, but that's all I know.

Thanks

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
I have a copy of the Royal Fusiliers in the Great War by H.C. O'Neil,if anyone needs a look up please ask.

Stu

Hi Stu

I am looking for info on my gg father pte John Boyle Reg 13124 then 162211 he was in Africa from 10/4/1915 - 19/2/1919

any info would be great . on his medal card it says R Fus then labour corps.

Many thanks Tom Boyle

• 5 months later...
Guest huntington

Thank you fore the service Stu, I stumbled across the site previously, but now am trying to do some more research of a relative.

Name

Leonard William Molineaux, No 7290

A company, 8th Batallion Royal Fusiliers

KIA 8 July 1916 at Orvilliers La Boisselle.

The requests are the usuall, any mention of the 8th in your service history, and what recomendation for further reading are there. I am trying to get the "Brief History of the 8th Batalion" but no joy yet.

The other interest is to put his experiences into context with the maps, and other action near by, its effect on the whole battle. Trench map copies of the date and place.

I am also looking to ensure the above data is correct.

regards

David.

Stu

can you please give me any information you have on a private william cunningham gs/68843 of the 24th batallion royal fusiliers as i cant find alot about him as i am quite new at this. the reason i ask is that we think we can name some graves that could be our great great uncle plus 3 others, the only thing we need or the answers we need to a few questions are

1. what other battallions were fighting around bancourt, fremicourt, haplincourt and barastre, that kind of area, in march 1918. our guy was killed on the 24/3/1918. whether these battallions were royal fusiliers or not, we need to know who was fighting in that area.

2. we need to know if a private cunningham w gs/68843 received any wounds during the war. this will then give us our answers so we can name the graves, also we have recently found out that this guy has another service number which is 48691 royal fusilier but do not know which battallion. would this identify that he was wounded or not and why was his number changed. did they ever keep the same service number when they were wounded and then moved battallion or not.

sorry its a long one Stu

Regards

Wayne

• 7 months later...

Hi

I know this is an old thread but I was wonderingmif u could help me?

I am researching Pte. Dick Phillips 13th Royal Fusiliers (GS/65788) MM and bar. He was my great uncle.

He was bron 1898 and died from war wounds in 1921.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

Would it be possible to check if there is a mention of where the 20th Royal Fusiliers were and any info of engagements etc around the date of 6th November 1916, the chap i am researching John Hutchinson Tomlinson died of wounds on this date and is buried at Grove town cem, any help at all

Stu

Dear Stu anything on the 10 london brigade at st quentin in aug 1918

• 1 month later...

Hi Stu.

You may be a godsend,im trying to find some more info on lieutenant francis clive Batty Smith 13th batt Royal Fusiliers he died on 04/06.16...as far as i know he was a forward artillery observer and died near hill 147...i cant find this location..any clues in the book?

cheers

nick

• 11 months later...

Hi Stu

Anything to add to my details below?

BARRINGTON-FOOTE, Captain Philip Ward.

Evidence for inclusion on the Purton Parish list: Name listed in the Memorial book in St Mary’s Church (Royal Fusiliers), 1918 voters list for Purton Parish (a NM), The Hill.

Best regards

Bob

Hi Phil.

Which Battalion the 23rd or the 24th Battalion the Sportsmens?

Regards Andy

Hi Stu

I wonder if you could look up my grandfather who was in the Royal fusiliers his name was Albert Henry Burt number SPR4416 I think he was in the sportsmans battalion, but that's all I know.

Thanks

Phil

Stu

I wonder whether or not you have mention of William F Hughes who was in the RF from 1913 onwards, had continueous service and somehow ended up with the Welsh Guards on the beaches at Dunkirk

Thanks for your time in advance

Stuart

• 4 years later...

Hi Londons

I'm afraid I don't think I have this book any more, but I doubt it would have had any mention of the 10th London's, I'm pretty sure that unlike the first four London regiments they were not badged as Royal Fusiliers, so would not have been included in the book.

Sorry I can't help

Stuart

• 3 years later...
On 9/25/2005 at 23:34, stu said:

Hi James.

The 26th battalion made a raid just north of Wytschaete on 15/12/16,Lt CRW Jenkins was awarded the M.C for shooting a sentry,taking the identification of the German and leading the raid.

At 11.30pm the same night,the Germans also made a raid on the battalion front and caught some of the Fusiliers unawares whilst repairing the wire,the enemy entered the front line,but Pte H.Jones beat them off with a machine gun and Lt M.B.Maude went out to collect the wounded men fron the wiring party,Jones got the DCM and Maude got the MC.

No mention of the 2nd Londons on 17/9/16,but on 15/19/16 they made an attack at Combles,C and D companies quickly gained their objectives but the enemy tried to bomb them out,their losses were so great that A and B companies were sent to reinforce but they also suffered badly,the position was eventually held by the assitance of another battalion(not named).

I hope this is OK for you.

Stu

Just found this site and thread while looking for records of my father on this Remembrance Sunday. And here he is - Claud Raynes Winkworth Jenkins, who was then 21. I knew he had won the Military Cross but none of the details nor the date (47 years to the day before I was born, his youngest child). My father lived through and survived until 1970, having served in the Royal Flying Corps as a teenager. He never spoke about what he had seen. Thinking of him and the countless other brave men and women who served, particularly on this day.

Find My past as a few service records for Claude Jenkins , C  Jenkins CR Jenkins. Where was he from?

He was born in Wallington, Croydon in April 1895. I don't know much about his early life (he died when I was six), but he's listed in the online RFC records for ? 1913, and twice in the London Gazette. I found one other service record for the Great War, though it wasn't very informative - will have another look on Find My Past. Thank you.

Hello stu,hopefully you can shed more light on my great grandad John Robert Alcock,he went into the Middlesex reg but saw action with the 9th royal fusiliers,on his medal says Pte J.R Alcock G/S 79037 R.fus,I was wondering if he had any mentions,also did he get wounded,I think he served from 15/7/1918 until 31/8/1918.im trying to find out as much as I can about him,your help would be very grateful,from mark