Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Fusiliers in the Great War

stu

Hi Stu

I would appreciate finding more about my grandfather as the London Gazette 21 Oct 1918 gives no information of the action he won his DCM in.

Sjt W Hunt DCM 7th battalion Royal Fusiliers 1914-19

From the photo I posted I was informed that he was wounded 3 times when I was only aware of him being wounded once in the legs by a machine gun.

Sorry to you all for the delay,I've just got in from a very long day today.

I will do look ups this weekend and get back to you all.

Regards.

Stu

Thank you very much Stu.

Any help will be greatfully received.

It's funny how I didn't ask while he was alive but now would like to know after my father left me his fathers medals so I could pass them on to my son.

Knowing where he served and how he won his DCM is something I want to hand down when I am gone.

The sacrifices made in that terrible war is something that future generations should know about.

I can still remember watching TV on Remembrance Sunday, seeing my grandfather marching proudly with the Old Contemptables until old age got the better of him.

David,

Sorry for the delay,but I hope it helps.

I found the following on George Sutherland GUYON.

There are several pages.

Regards

Stu

post-16-1102374022.jpg

Sorry David,Im having trouble posting these,I'm going to have to email them,please let me know that you have received them.

Stu

Dewy,

There is no mention of your Grandad in the book,but if you can give me an idea of when the action he was awarded his DCM for I'll scan the relevent info.

Regards.

Stu

Unfortunately I have no idea Stu.

All I know is that he was in the London Gazetter 18th October 1918

6306 Sjt. W. Hunt, R. Fus. (Acton).

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to

duty in action. He set a most excellent

example to his men, and proved himself a

remarkably good leader in all the large

operations in which the battalion has taken

part.

I have no other knowlege apart from things my father told me when I was small.

This was that he had been machine gunned in his legs and gassed by both chlorine and mustard gas.

The only person who is likely to know is an aunt who would be in her late 70s but I lost all contact with that side of the family over 30 years ago.

Dave,

I forgot to add that there is a lot of mentions for the 26th Battalion in the book,if you would like to send me your email address via a PM,I will scan some for you.

Stu

Dewy,

The citation appears to be of a general nature rather than action specific,we might be able to track down some of actions he was involved in if you happen to know when he served overseas from(often written on the MIC).

Alternatively,I can scan a selection for you,but I'm probably not going to be able to for a couple of days owing to work/social commitments.

If you want to send me your email address via a PM,I'll send the scans as soon as possible.

Regards.

Stu

Thank you Stu.

My father had always told me that he won the DCM after being machine gunned when they 'went over the top' and dragged his wounded officer back to the trenches.

It may have just been my interpretation of what I was told as I was very young at the time.

My grandfather never said anything about that war apart from showing me the blue marks in his legs where the bullets were that had not been removed.

When I was 13 and staying with my grandparents in the summer holiday He sat at the kitchen table clenching his hands and grimacing with pain as yellow matter oozed out of the cracks.

He said it was another reminder of that terrible war and I seem to remember him saying it was the mustard gas still in his system.

Stu,

A public thanks for taking the time to scan some 10+ pages of your Royal Fusiliers regimental history. The information is absolutely invaluable, and much appreciated!

Best wishes

David Bluestein

Canada

He sat at the kitchen table clenching his hands and grimacing with pain as yellow matter oozed out of the cracks. He said it was another reminder of that terrible war and I seem to remember him saying it was the mustard gas still in his system.

Dewey

This would have made it doubly hard to forget. It was not mustard gas. The discharge sounds like it was related to a chronic low-grade infection. Possibly related to the presence of the bullets or possibly the bullets had damaged the underlying bone and he had developed a low-grade infection of the bone, known as osteomyelitis. In any event, it was hard enough for vets, who often tried to suppress memories of the war. My grandfather did, even to the extent of never allowing anyone to see the scar on his shoulder from a shrapnel wound. I can only imagine how much more difficult it would have been if this wound had continued to cause as much trouble as the psychological wound.

Robert

Hi Stu,

One of the men on my local war memorial (Woodchurch, Kent), G/50914 Pte Frederick Walter BOURNE, was KIA on 13 November 1916 while serving with the 24th Bn, Royal Fusiliers. I'd be grateful for anything on this battalion for this date.

All the best

Gary