Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

T.M.B.

Michael Pegum

Another query from a Great War memorial in Ireland. Someone is recorded as a private in the T.M.B. The inscription is very clear, and there is no doubt about the letters.

Anyone know what this unit was?

Michael Pegum

post-2-1102004486.jpg

Michael

Your man was in a Trench Mortar Battery.

Yes, but it was surely not a corps in the sense of the word: more a brigade asset, and not cap-badged as a TMB [in contrast to MGC after raising]. Heavy TMBs were an RA asset I believe. I expect there is a TM expert out there.

Langleybaston1418 is correct: A Light TM Battery was found in each infantry brigade. These were manned by infantrymen and bore the same number as the brigade, i.e. 88th T. M. Bty. served with 88th Brigade in the 29th Division. Three Medium TM Batteries (later two) served with each division under the divisional artillery manned by RFA gunners. These were designated by the letters X, Y, and Z followed by the number designating the division, i.e. X/29, Y/29, Z/29; in 1916 and 1917 each division had a Heavy TM Battery which also served under the divisional artillery manned by RFA and RGA gunners. These were designated by a V followed by the number of the division, i.e. V/29.

Regards. Dick

When I knew what regiment to look for, I found him on the CWGC site:

Name: REYNOLDS

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Garrison Artillery

Unit Text: 1st Trench Mortar Bty.

He was from Drogheda, in which the memorial is, and I feel sure this is the man.

Many thanks for the expert help. Michael Pegum

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Interestingly there is a similar inscription on the memorial in our local church to a soldier who was East Surrey Regt but attached 24th Division TMB.

I think human nature is the answer to this inscription. In my newspaper researches I have found that men who were killed with Trench Mortars more often that not had this 'highlighted' in their obits. I.E. "he was attached to Trench Mortars"

I assume that it was considered 'special' to have a relative with the TMs given their suicide club nickname. Perhaps this pride in a relative's 'achievement' in being with the TMs is reflected in the plaque shown?

Des

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I thought the Suicide Club was the MGC? <_<

In addition men who ended up in TMB crews were also regarded by others as liabilities elsewhere (ref Tommy by Richard Holmes). Possibly unfair but I have not researched the subject.

Not to mention that, from the air, a Crapper was uncommonly like a TMB position, thus providing for some high speed evacuation in all senses of the word.

Re suicide club. I too had the same impression, but I keep coming across TM's being referred to by the same nickname. I assume both weapons teams were fairly regular targets for enemy artillery etc.!!

And I've also seen many references to 'bombing teams' being described as 'Suicide Club'.

One also can see why non-mortar troops might be less than happy with TMs bringing down enemy 'hate' on their heads.

Des

Interesting Des.

I think there was some reference to 49th Division soldiers at Thiepval Wood being 'quite concerned' about the location of a T.M.B. Battery. Apparently the Officer in Command had decided to demonstrate his 'new baby' much to the horror of the men in the area, attract intense counter battery work etc. I think he 'fired one off', and for lack of a better word, everybody 'buggered off'!!!

Can't remember the source though.

Regards, Chris.

• 4 weeks later...

From 'Tommy' by R. Holmes. P385. Re Bombers and TMB men.

"Some early versions were so delicate or unstable that their users - bombers ... shared with the crews of the early trench moratrs the discouraging nickname 'Suicide Squad'.

Des