Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RMS Leinster - was she carrying non-British troops

Guest Pete Wood

Many thanks Caryl,

I wish I'd known of it when I wrote my "Leinster" book. But it's inevitable that information will turn up after publication.

I'm delighted to have the text of the letter. Another piece of the "Leinster" jigsaw.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Philip

• 2 weeks later...
Many thanks Caryl,

I wish I'd known of it when I wrote my "Leinster" book. But it's inevitable that information will turn up after publication

Philip

You are welcome. It's always the way isn't it. I see Bill lived until 1979.

I'll PM you about buying a copy of your book

It has a lot of interest for me. I see it was built at Cammell Lairds where many of my relations worked

There may well have been some of my Dublin relations on board, or relations of friends of mine from Holyhead. I also travel that route a lot. I didn't realise that one of the anchors was found and is on Dun Laoghaire sea front. We mooch about there a lot so will look for it

If anyone is interested there is a PDF document about the sinking, partial crew list (Dun Laoghaire men) and also a little bit about the Wren - and a photo of Bill Sweeney and Leinster's purser Hugh Rowlands who was lost

Click Here

Caryl

I'd be very interested in a copy of this book, too.

One of the officers I am researching died in the sinking, 2/Lt. Alexander Lamont, 9th Bn. King's Liverpool Regt.

Ken

Thanks Caryl and Ken,

Caryl,

I'm the author of the PDF document. I prepared it a few years ago in an attempt to general interest in a planned commemoration of the sinking. The commemoration (which is covered in my book) was held in October 2003 and was very successful.

Ken, I'll send you a PM.

Regards,

Philip

All,

Just to add my little bit to the discussion. I have been researching the men on the Birmingham City Police ROH (WW1 and WW2).

I found that Sergeant 16/1757 Alfred PHILPOTT (and his wife) were both killed aboard the Leinster. Strangely Alfred is NOT commemorated on the roll of honour although he is mentioned in Police orders as having perished.

Does anyone have any comments as to why the Police would NOT have deemed Alfred to be worthy of inclusion on their ROH?

Ps. Details of all on the two ROH will soon be on the West Midlands Police Museum website.

Cheers,

Graeme

Graeme,

I was in contact with members of the Phillpott family during the research for my book. It was not clear why the Phillpotts were in Ireland, as his regiment were stationed in Dover at the time of the sinking. Perhaps they were visiting friends. Might it be that, if Alfred was not on army business at the time of his death, the police decided not to put him on their ROH?. If so, it appears to be coldly legalistic.

Regards,

Philip

• 1 year later...

Hello Mr. Lecane. I just bought a copy of your book. Stoker William Maher was my great grandfather. I just wanted to say I appreciate all your efforts in putting the book together. I had no idea that my great grandfather was in the Royal Irish Fusiliers. The letter written by Louisa Toppin says he had eight children, in fact he actually had six, three girls and three boys. Two of his sons went on to serve in World War Two, one (Tommy) in the Hampshire Regiment and one (Billy) in the Royal Navy where ironically his ship (HMS Dorsetshire) was sunk by the Japanese. He survived too after spending the night in the Indian Ocean! William Maher's daughter Elizabeth Maher was my grandmother.

Ruairi Regan

• 7 years later...

Mate,

I know of at lest two aussies on the ship, one died the other survived;

WARE Boxer Allen 11118 Dvr 3 Div Trn (25Co AASC) to MT Dvr 870Co 11-16 to 3 DSC 12-16 to 3 MTCo 3-18 F&B reported drowned on leave in RMS Leinster with 564 souls when she went down in Dublin Bay off the Irish coast when sunk by German UB 123 ObLt Robert Ramm listed on Hollybrook Memorial Southampton UK (MG Sect/22 LH CMF 1 year)

COLEMAN Francis Thomas 715 Pte 3 MVS to AASC Trg depot UK 8-16 tos 3 MVS 11-16 to Cpl 3 Div HQ 5-17 to Sgt 8-17 reported MIA 10-10-18 believed drowned in RMS Leinster with 564 souls when she went down in Dublin Bay off the Irish coast when sunk by German UB 123 ObLt Robert Ramm rtn 10-18 MID - reason not stated possibly for his actions during the sinking of the Leinster F&B

S.B