Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No1 Clearing Hospital

BloodMedic

I have been researching the death of my Great Uncle Grds Mark Lockwood 3rd Battalion Coldstream Guards who died on 9th September 1914 during the crossing of the Petit-Morin near Boitron  at the Battle of the Marne, He was evacuated to the No1 Clearing Station which was operating from the Railway sidings in Coulommien a journey of around 13 miles.

He unfortunately succumbed to his wounds, What I do not understand is why was his body was taken all the way back to Boitron and buried in a field with a cross marking his grave, he now lays with 5 other soldiers in the church yard in Boitron, Also I would like to know which Field Ambulance may have been involved in his evacuation.

The quick answer would be that 4, 5 or 6 Field Ambulances would have evacuated him, at least for the first stage.

No. 1 CCS seems to have been based in St. Omer so something is amiss. There is nothing on his CWGC documents to say he was moved into Boitron Cemetery from a field. They imply the cemetery was his original burial spot.

Assuming the man is either Lockwood or Teasdale? Do you have a service record for him.

I can look tomorrow at medical evacuation and where various posts were located for 3 Coldstreamers. It does seem unusual for him to be returned to more or less the place of injury from either Coulommien or St. Omer.

TEW

No 1 Clearing Hospital

9/9/14 1am. Left le Mans for Chaunes. Detachments were sent to Tournan and Marles. A further detachment was running a First Aid Post at Lieusant. The railhead at Marles moved to Montsert, and that at Tournan went to Coulommiers where it was joined by HQ from Chaunes and the unit set-up in the Goods sheds. A detachment was sent to Boisy.

Regarding the Buried in a Field and a Cross erected, I do have evidence that this happened but cannot upload at the moment, Unfortunately I do not have any images of Mark Lockwood but I do of Albert Teasdale, I also have Marks service record and will try to upload.

Well, it's not helping much with original query but the 2nd Div medical arrangements in early Sept 1914 were chaotic.

Both men seem to have died of wounds, probably sustained on the 8th Sept. Have you seen this narrative?

The OC 1st General Hospital was appointed ADMS of 2nd Div. on 6th Sept because the exisitng ADMS and DADMS had gone missing! (Captured during retreat from Mons 26th Aug)

The new ADMS reported to DDMS HQ in Coulommiers on the 8th Sept and arrived at 2nd Div. area at 4PM on the 9th Sept. So, basically the field ambulances had no one in charge until then.

On 7th Sept the 5th & 6th FAs were in Boitron and no one knew where the 4th FA was, they had gone missing as well! 4th FA diary is also incomplete, starts on 12th Sept.

8th Sept. the 5th FA set up a Collecting Station in Boitron, Rail Head and Verneuil both mentioned as part of the evacuation chain. 6th FA had moved to St Simeon.

The History of the 2nd Div. says that their FAs spent the night of the 8th Sept collecting wounded.

Medical History of the War says the 6th FA set up an ADS at La Belle Idee near Boitron. See image. If the ADS is close to the location of his initial burial I'd be suspicious of the move to 1 Clearing Hospital detachment at Coulommiers and then back to Boitron for burial.

Medical History of the War pages 254-261 worth a read

Clipboard01.jpg

TEW

I'm wondering if he died in Boitron while in the care of the Field Ambulance units in Boitron and a mistake was made because in the recording of there deaths showed they where technically under the care of the No1 Casualty Clearing Hospital which was in Coulommien, As reported there was a lot of confusion at the time around the locations of the Field Ambulances.

This would make more sense as bring him back with Teasdale and the 2 other unknown Coldstreamers don't make a lot of sense to be buried in Boitron, According to sources there where not many 3rd Coldstreamers killed during the fight. 

I guess in the confusion there are several possibilities. He may have been admitted to another division's FA who took them to 1 Clearing Hospital or one of the detachments who later sent them back to the correct FA in for their division in Boitron. Seems harsh but I've seen seen records of wounded being rounded up and sent to the correct post. There may have been an admittance record to 1 Clearing Hospital but some poor admin on moving them back.

I found La Belle Idee, Boitron on google maps. Quite some distance from Petit Morin. To be wounded at Petit Morin, evacuated to the ADS at La Belle Idee and then to 1 Clearing Hospital (and then back again) seems ridiculous.

The 5th FA's collecting post in Boitron would more than likely be for light wounds and walking wounded which I don't think applies in their cases but maybe that's as far as stretcher bearers got to.

Teasdale/Teesdale has a casualty sheet on findmypast which corrects a previous report on his injury and gives his date of injury as the 8th.

It's also possible that the Regimental HQ mis-read something back in 86. I see from the letters they only supplied the answers to specific questions, I was under the impression they have the full set of records which can be seen or scanned.

Any joy with the 'buried in a field and moved later' part?

Possibly a new topic with 'Coldstream Guards Petit Morin' in the title may catch the eye of a knowledgeable Coldstream member, especially if '1 Clearing Hospital' is a red-herring.

TEW

I do have a copy of the 3rd Battalions war diary during the Petit Morin action which mentions the few deaths the companies received, I guess Lockwood/Teesdale are thous

soldiers,I must admit I did not realise the complexity of the various Field Ambulances during that time, it gives the suggestion the Coldstreamers Over here & Worcestershire's over there for treatment and never the twain shell meet.

Teesdale has a casualty sheet on findmypast which corrects a previous report on his injury and gives his date of injury as the 8th.

Is it possible I could see his report as I know Albert Teesdale and Mark Lockwood served in the same company and most  probably died together

I'll sort out the casualty sheet, wasn't sure if you'd seen it. It is definitely only Teesdale for some reason and until I get it I'm not sure if it's dated or if it's specifically 2nd Division or what the purpose of the list was other than a list of casualties.

Do you have an ancestry subscription? I could send links to the 3 FAs & ADMS, Infantry Brigade and DIv HQ of 2 Div. It may be worth checking out the ADMS diaries for the other divisions in the Corps in case they were evacuating direct to 1 Clearing Hospital.

TEW

Sorry, link not good.

TEW