Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Westminster Avenue trench, South S2 Loos Vermelles area

wulsten

Does anyone have a trench map which shows the location of Westminster Avenue trench, or South S2 Loos / Vermelles area i believe, 

any help as always very much appreciated, 

Geoff

Not a lot of help, I know, but there is a great concentration of London-named trenches centred on Givenchy and Cuinchy - Cheyne Walk, Pudding Lane, Leicester Square, Hyde Park Corner, Petticoat Lane, etc.

Ian

Previous post requesting same trenches had no response but the OP did say he thought they were probably sited 1km North of Nieppe in a hamlet called Papot circa May 1916.

Macmaster says Papot is on 36NW but there are 2 Papots, B3c and B8a. Can't see any maps showing trench names. The B8 Papot does not show up on later maps.

Ancestry Diaries have numerous hits for Papot as a location. Trawling those may produce a result.

TEW

Hi Geoff

I know this sounds daft but are you sure it's Westminster Avenue rather than Road? Peter Chasseaud's 'Rats Alley' shows Westminster Road at N.27.b on 36cSW1 Lens sheet.

I've tried the NA Trench Map Atlas vol.1 and used the trench search tool. It comes up with sheet 28.SW4A, Ploegsteert, trenches corrected to December 1916. It shows Westminster Avenue on the east side of Prowse Point (north of Ploegsteert Wood) and south of St. Yves. On that map Westminster Avenue runs roughly west to east from Rotten Row at U.15.c.45.45 to the front line trench at U.15.d.53.35, facing the enemy line at Factory Farm.

Ken 

Cheers for the replies, the westminster Avenue reference comes from the war diary of the 6th/7th Royal Scots Fusiliers, hence could be Westminster Road ???, the war diary just mentions that shelling took place causing slight damage to Westminster Avenue/south S2, the chap i was looking at was killed during May 1916 and is buried in Vermelles, hence area suggestion ?????

1 hour ago, EDWARD1 said:

Attached trench map Westminster Road 36cSW1N27b   (next to the wording Cite Nord running N-S

Eddie

Glad you found it Eddie. Spent ages trawling through the Lens sheets for the various years without finding Westminster Road.

Nice one!

Ken

Thanks for the map input, many thanks Edward, i am not sure now if i have the exact area, a newspaper article gives information that a bombardment took place, however the war dairy i was looking at appears to start with the 6th RSF whilst merging with the 7th RSF may 1916 and then moves to the 9th Cameronians on the same date so i suspect they must have been in the same area, however i have certainly gained a starting point, many thanks,

Geoff

• 8 months later...