Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thiepval Ceremony 1st July 2016

AlanCurragh

So, who else is going? There is the slight dread of having to present ourselves at Albert Airport at 6.00am, and the security screening to go through, but it will hopefully be a fitting occasion to mark the anniversary. 

36 minutes ago, AlanCurragh said:

it will hopefully be a fitting occasion to mark the anniversary. 

A cynic might suggest that the word 'hopefully' is terribly well-chosen.

being over there for the week,  will defer probably until saturday (madam's birthday), unless we take in Beaumont Hamel , then back again in 6 weeks i hope it will be quieter.

I personally can see nothing wrong with the official commemoration at Thiepval on 1st July 2016. It is right that the nations are represented at this place on this day and I look forward to seeing coverage of the event on TV. Those who for some reason are unhappy with such a commemoration have of course many more chances to pay their respects at the memorial in 2016 and as for those who are not going to Thiepval in any event this year what is the problem as I fail to see one.

Norman

Myself and my good Irish Pal from Dublin have to present ourselves at Albert Train Station between 0600 and 0730.

I am so pleased to have the chance to be at Thiepval on July 1st and will hopefully be at Albert Airport car park between 7.15-7.30 am as instructed.

I will say little more - due to forum strictures on politics, but my views on the President of France saying that he will not go if the UK votes for exit, and even if we don't because the Queen is not present are not mild. 

19 minutes ago, Staffsyeoman said:

I will say little more - due to forum strictures on politics, but my views on the President of France saying that he will not go if the UK votes for exit, and even if we don't because the Queen is not present are not mild. 

So, Hollande is not going, and the referendum is irrelevant.

The poor bloke can't go to everything any more than the Queen can.

I wish we could have one day when politics etc are irrelevant.  The most important thing to me is that I will be there thinking of my Gt. Uncle whose name is listed with the other thousands on the Thiepval memorial and remembering their sacrifice. If no- one else but me was there I really could not care too hoots, sorry guys!!

For those lucky enough to be there it does sound like a very interesting and moving ceremony if this report in the Guardian is anything to go by this below plus the WW1 London bus would do it for me alone.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/08/battle-of-somme-centenary-ceremonies-thiepval-memorial-france

The army bands will perform songs connected to the battle, including some written by soldiers in the trenches. The music from the BBC Symphony Orchestra will include George Butterworth’s The Banks of Green Willow, which was composed while he served with the Durham Light Infantry. He was awarded the Military Cross but did not live to receive it, and his name is among those on the Thiepval Memorial.

In Bristol 2015

21564570689_22709551be.jpg

Norman

Thanks, but I almost forgot the display of replica WW1 aircraft (weather permitting) like this Sopwith Camel.

8598661262_0c39070b72_z.jpg

A replica and the image "aged", the only problem that I can see is that there will be so much going on that there will be a danger of missing something. As regards the aircraft display for those not at the ceremony there will be many places where these can be seen and on that subject the sound of the music will carry a decent way as well. I presume that the aircraft will use Albert airport as a base.

Norman

We have to be at Albert Airport from 6:30 - 6:45. 

going to be a very long day for us as we're staying in Abbeville so will be leaving at  5am

To my mind, the only saving grace of our 6.00am start is that we might (if we are lucky) get to Thiepval by 7.30 and be able to mark the start of the battle. On the other hand, we might be in a security queue, or on a coach...

I'm one of the lucky ones who managed to get a ticket.

but I've got a couple of questions that hopefully someone on here can help me with. 

Do you have to go with the organised itinerary ie, leaving from Albert at the crack of dawn?

can you not just make your ownway to Thiepval? 

Some of our party are ticketless, where could they wait until the ceremony is over?

Thanks

Indeed - all the communication from the organisers states clearly that you have to follow the instructions provided to get to Thiepval. If I was ticketless, I would think of going to somewhere outside the cordon - maybe Serre, Gommecourt, or on the French sector?

I have to be at the airport 05:45- 06:00 and i wasn't too bothered until it dawned (sorry for the pun) on me, that for me to be there at that time from Amiens, 'she' will be up and about at 03.30 making sure 'she' looks great.

I'm sure the day will go well but I'm more concerned with my departure time (15:45) from the event. I had planned to go via Ecoust St mein and Bullecourt to Ypres and pay our respects the the wife's Great grandfather. Given the Somme area will be busier than normal and the drive to Ypres a bit longer, i don't want to chance missing the ceremony at plug street, which i've never been to before.

I've already contacted the B&B to tell them we may be booking in a little later than we'd like and they've told us not to worry.

It's going to be a long day. 

Thanks for the info chaps.

it certainly is going to be a long day. Off to Ypres straight after as hopefully it'll be less busy. 

I am going and hope it will all work out OK as I did not get tickets on the Eurostar and am having to drive. Quite nervous actually!

Linda

I too have got to be at the airport 6:15 - 6:30.  Staying Abbeville an hour away, taking into consideration traffic I'll be setting off at 4:30 ish. I would not miss this for the world.  Just a great honour to be there and remember my Great Uncles.  I'm sure it will be o.k.  Stay calm and enjoy.  Have a great day everyone.

Lorraine 

BBC TV is covering the event(s) as .........

Thursday 30th June

1930 - 2130 BBC2 Live coverage of the vigils from London and Thiepval

Friday 1st July

BBC1

0700 - 0745 Zero Hour

0915 - 1215 From Thiepval

No doubt the news channels will cover this as well throughout the day as is usual

Norman

in our seats now with quite a long wait until the ceremony

image.jpeg